JVC HARX700 - heat?

AVT

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Aug 8, 2008
Messages
4,875
These headphones are all very nice and good, but there's one problem: they make my ears about as hot as my soldering iron, after about an hour.

Probably just me, since it's almost always extremely hot for me, even in winter, but has anyone else experienced this problem? Is there something that can be done?
 
These headphones are all very nice and good, but there's one problem: they make my ears about as hot as my soldering iron, after about an hour.

Probably just me, since it's almost always extremely hot for me, even in winter, but has anyone else experienced this problem? Is there something that can be done?

Not really man. You need open headphones. There are several under $75 like the Audio Technica AD500.
 
Mine get hot too. Right around the 1 hour mark. I'm in Minnesota, but my apartment is usually around 72F.
 
Not really man. You need open headphones. There are several under $75 like the Audio Technica AD500.

Bleh, I can't justify spending anything anywhere near that price range on sound ATM. :(

Mine get hot too. Right around the 1 hour mark. I'm in Minnesota, but my apartment is usually around 72F.

And I live in California, during the coldest winter in the past ten years. Normally it's 10-20 degrees hotter than now. I'm not sure how I'm going to survive then.
 
How would adding vents to the cups of these headphones effect the sound quality?
 
How would adding vents to the cups of these headphones effect the sound quality?

It would most likely affect it by attenuating several parts of the spectrum corresponding to the resonance modes that you removed by introducing regions of infinite reflection distance. Meanwhile, you would sacrifice the internal/external isolation properties of the headphone.

Open is good, closed is good. Mixing them carelessly can lead to a very odd power spectrum, and whatever you're left with is definitely no longer closed.
 
This is why I can't wear my HARX700's too much. Unbearably hot. Sound pretty good, but way too hot. Hard to complain for 30 bucks though.

I just pump them up and listen to them sitting on my desk if I don't need good sound :( I has no speakers.
 
This is why I can't wear my HARX700's too much. Unbearably hot. Sound pretty good, but way too hot. Hard to complain for 30 bucks though.

I just pump them up and listen to them sitting on my desk if I don't need good sound :( I has no speakers.

I did the same thing with my HD280 Pro's until I got the AD900. Sounded pretty good lol.
 
Back
Top