Justed started folding :)

GlobalFear

2[H]4U
With all the talk about DC I decided to give it a try. I am running it on my main box and I don't notice any slowdown whatsoever. Depending on how well it works I think I'll install the f@h console on a few other machines. :)

Name: GlobalFear
Team: 33
Client: WinXP Console

good job. more folders are always welcome. once you turn in your first unit. Check out the thread here to get your very own [H]s.

Welcome home, man! :D

I'm glad to see kodiak and I's posts are getting new folders... I was so worried it would get me banned... :(

heh i wont repeat what majordomo sent me. but. cease and stop. and stop right this second come to mind ;)

edit: it was worth it though desperate times call for desperate measures! we MUST win.

Well, I only made one thread and I wasnt aware that you had made several.... if so I wouldnt have. I know my limits... :D

Like all drunks say.

(or mindlessly bored at work close to sensation of drunkness.. "dont know dont care")

It seemed like a good idea at the time.

even if i got booted. i would have still folded for HardForums. :cool:

at least i didnt do the credit card thingy ;)

welcome to the [H]orde, we are all a very helpful bunch.
If you have any questions, please ask!

And keep your hands away from dr_k's mouth... he hasnt had anything to eat in the last 13 years 'cept prison food, gopher, and a little greasy horse. :D

(Who can name that quote?)

hey guys.....i just started foldin away too.

i've gone to that link and looked around everywhere but how the heck do i get those [H]'s?

Once you get your first workunit done go here and then to ToolBar tools to set it up.

(first you will need your Extreme user id # which you can find by using the search
at that link as well (upper right corner) there is also the thread [H]orde|Stats 3.0 above!

Welcome!

i'm at 225/2500. so once that first 2500 is done then i can start that process?

Goat said:
As i understand it, yes. As soon (within reason) as you turn as you turn in your first work unit, you can go ahead and do the [H] thing. :cool:

Goat said:

sometimes it takes a hour or two for Stanford to update the stats.

Since this seems to be a nice place for new people to ask questions ... I'm a little curious about some of the configuration options.

What are WUs with deadlines and how do I know whether or not I should accept them?

And under what circumstances should or shouldn't I accept work assignments over 5mb?

Thanks for the help!

If you have a fairly new computer that you leave on all the time
(around p3 800mhz +) you dont have to worry about deadlines,
your computer will finish it in time. However if you have an older
computer, say a 486... then it can still fold, however you want to
have the timeless workunits (under the advanced settings of config)
turned on to ensure that all the computing time your computer does,
doesnt go to waste. Since it will take much longer for those said
"slower" computers to crunch that much data.

If you have a goodly fast machine with a decent amount of memory
you can do the larger workpackets that will gather you more points.
They take longer, but many people do nothing but those.
(341-600 points or so per work unit where as the smaller ones go
up to 241 or so, but dont quote me on exact numbers ;))

So I've got an A64 3200+ w/ a gig of memory, but I turn it off at night so I can sleep (I skimped on fans and the ps so it's much too loud)

What would you recomend?

losttime said:
So I've got an A64 3200+ w/ a gig of memory, but I turn it off at night so I can sleep (I skimped on fans and the ps so it's much too loud)

What would you recomend?

Better fans and a better PSU :p

EDIT:
In reality though I have a 1.4 P4 borged that gets shut down at night and it makes deadline wu's but i don't let it take big packets.

Spectre said:
Better fans and a better PSU :p

EDIT:
In reality though I have a 1.4 P4 borged that gets shut down at night and it makes deadline wu's but i don't let it take big packets.
Some FAH watchers will tell you if you're going to make the deadline or not (based on a 24hr system on time) so if you can figure out how often you'll have your system on as a percentage, you could figure out if you can make those bigger work units or not.... if that's worth the effort! :p

losttime said:
Interesting ... any recommended watchers???

Err, yes, but i don't know which ones in particular will display the time you have left. See the FAQ and scroll down a bit and you will find a list of 'watchers.' Try those. Good luck.

GlobalFear said:
I got a [H] !!!!!!!!!!!!!11111

Congrats!!!, and I'd set the A64 to get big packets. It should finish a frame every 30-40 minutes, depending on what you're doing on the computer at the time. Lets just say that you're doing CPU intensive stuff with it like play games. And it takes it an average of 2 hours to complete a frame. So, you have 120 minutes per frame x 100 frames = 12000 minutes / 60min per hour = 200 hours. Plenty of time to complete the WU for dealine. Now if its only on for 16 hours a day, it'll take it 12.5 days to finish and send it in. Your points wont jump like they would if you left it on 24/7 but the science your machine does doesn't go to waste. Which is, after all, why we are all doing this, is it not?

Testing for new colored H version

also - if you are talking about athlon 64's frame times, on the big 600-pointers with 250 frames, i typically see 12 to 18 minutes per frame on my laptop, athlon 64 3400+ (2.2ghz). 40 minutes seems way out there..

Back