Just upgraded...what should I expect?

Nirad9er

2[H]4U
I am upgrading to a core i7 930 setup. I'm waiting on the motherboard / mem / waterblock

upgrades are as follows:
core i7 930
EVGA E760 Classified x58 Motherboard
6gb GSkill Trinity DDR3 2000
EK Supreme HF Full Copper Cpu waterblock

CPU will be cooled with Swiftech MCR320 and MCR220 radiators.

What is a good target for an overclock? I'm obviously new to the x58 chipset so I dont know yet how it works yet.

What is the stock cpu fsb and multiplier and how does that correlate to the memory speed? I know on my current 680i motherboard you could set the memory speed independent of the cpu fsb.

Thanks

You should be able to hit around ~3.6 on air easily.

~3.6 is a ghood target for a really really crappy chip on air. A really cheap heatsink can also hurt the overclock significantly.

Even my super crappy 920 hits 4.2 (requires 1.39v) with my NH-D14.

The OP is asking about watercooling though.... I would say at least 4.2 and probably higher.

You should be able to hit 4.0. So anything higher than 4.0 is what you should aim for :)

On the system side of things, i just did the same upgrade. Went from core2 duo @ 2.4ghz, to an i7 930. System performance is ever so slightly faster, but Battlefield BC2 runs like a dream now. Knifing people has never been so easy :)

System performance is ever so slightly faster

It should be significantly and easily noticably faster. Not overclocking the i7 930? Do you have slow hard drives?

I went from an X3350 (penryn quad) to the i7. It's alot smoother and if you're running SSDs it's even better. Make sure you're pairing the i7 with SSDs. With that, you'll notice little difference (perception only) between 3.6 and 4.0.

Back