Just throwing an idea out there...

SulSeeker

Gawd
I was reading about the Samsung Hybrid HDD and how they're attaching a 1GB Flash Drive to it, thinking to my self about todays drives with 2, 8, or 16 MB Cache for data and all... and thought "Why couldn't they just attach a Sodimm slot to the drive, and integrate the controller into the PCB of the drive?"

The pros: There's enough room on a typical 3.5" drive to do this, and a DDR2 Sodimm is takes less juice than the drive itself, and easily saturate any bus that you put it on, (IDE-133, SATAI, SATAII.) Also, you could change the size of the sodimm as prices come down.

The cons: Wouldn't work on 2.5" drives where power savings would be most beneficial. I'm also sure there's a point of diminishing returns on a setup like this when it comes to cache size.

You know... just throwing it out there. It would probably be a stepping stone to solid state drives, which is an eventuality.

The reason they don't do the Volatile RAM is because in a power loss, the entire cache is cleared. This is why the flash is a big deal, power loss is a non-issue.

Back