Just switched to to tri sli gtx 280 from quad sli

swale

Limp Gawd
Hi,

am waiting for the delivery of 3 zotac AMP gtx 280 700mhz core see link http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-006-ZT

anyway's i'm alittle unsure as I have come from quad sli BFG 9800 gx2 wich was pretty good but doesn't always scale very well and sometimes has stuttering, do you think these cards are much better do you think i made a good move here?

just coriouse do you think these cards will overclock further than standard as they are most likely better chips???

Well, as far as scaling goes, you'll probably have the same problems, since Tri-SLI not always scales well. Still, a single GTX 280 is better than a single 9800 GX2, so you'll be better off than with Quad-SLI for sure.

As far as overclocking goes, that's hard to say. Overclocking potential varies from chip to chip, so you may get an excellent OCer or a crappy one. The AMP editions are already overclocked though, so I wouldn't count on much more.

Yes i think that makes sense, but i seem to feel that driver support for the 9800 gx2 is gonna fade away, they appear to be working hard on tri-sli drivers....atleast to the next card comes out LOL

wow you got one powerful machine, how high is your electric bill??

judging from your sig, that's got to be one of the most expensive pc's I've ever seen...

congrats! looking forward to hearing back about your gaming and benchmark experience

now gonna be monday delivery, will give my thoughts when i have tested it, to be honest i have doubts that it will be worth it if not there is always rma:)

I don't see you monitor listed in your sig, however even at 1920x1200 I think you will be happy, assuming that all the cards are good. At 1920x1200 there won't be any game that you shouldn't be able to max out, 16xAF, 16xAA save Crysis, which even then you could play at very high and 4xAA.

only at 1680x1050 any bigger makes my eyes hurt lol and looks a little redicoulous, just a little doubtfull that it can better the gx2's in quad sli. guess i will soon see.

Oh, its a lot better than quad GX2's, but that resolution is really going to limit those 280's. You're not going to see a lot of difference, but you will be able to run all current games at maximum image quality, something that quad GX's can't do.

only at 1680x1050 any bigger makes my eyes hurt lol and looks a little redicoulous, just a little doubtfull that it can better the gx2's in quad sli. guess i will soon see.
why the hell would you buy 3 overclocked gtx280 cards for tri sli at that resolution?? :rolleyes:

At least hes getting the top performance setup. I know guys that would SLI two low end cards that would end up being slower than a single midrange card and cost more money, because it's more "pimp"

Because he can? Why do people put an E8600 on LN2 and OC to 6+Ghz? Because they can.

I wonder how much longer this thread will continue to progress nicely as it is, before BigCactus and POPEGOLD jump in and start their little trolling number. :p

I wonder how much longer this thread will continue to progress nicely as it is, before BigCactus and POPEGOLD jump in and start their little trolling number. :p

I was thinking the same thing!:p Yep, 3x SLI is stupid, better get one of them 4870x2's!

Butter smooth frames and high AA. That is why.
even you know its a freaking waste at that res. he would get no more fps at 1680 with 3 cards then he would at 1920. in fact 2 overclocked gtx280 cards would be 90% wasted at just 1680.

See my sig OP. Im more than happy with my 3 FTW's :) I went from tri 9800gtx's to these and I do have to say.....its creamy goodness.

What res are you running, am i realy that mad to run tri sli, I just want excelelnt performance for everything now and a long way into the future, figure if i'm happy i will sell my gx2's and knock it off the 280's, and if i'm not conviced it's worth the money then I'll just rma whatever i feel necessary.

Guys & gals please don't start this into a big flame war, lets keep it civil!!!!

surely 3 is much better than 2 in sli there must be more than a little percentage surely even at 1680x1050 in any case who knows i may go bigger but i feel its doubtfull!!!
but to be honest i found even alot of people said the gx2's in quad sli were overkill and would be too much for my res but guess what they still struggle with crysis, you cannot max it out or ad any AA okay okay i know it's just one game and i'm not that bothered about crysis but even say fsx at ultra settings or jsut below it grinds to around a shuddering 12 odd FPS!!!
Think the drivers are immature i can agree with that so i'm hopeing tri sli is better suited for my use plus i'm sick of the occasional stuttering of the gx2's, but saying all this i may come back on here on monday and say there being picked up by royal mail a nd being rma'd lol

Have you ever even looked at a review of quad or tri sli? If you have then you would KNOW that your current and previous setup is a total waste of money at 1680. Even if it was worth a crap at 1680 what game is out thee that could possibly need 3 overclocked gtx280 cards to play at just 1680 in the first place. Sorry to sound mean but it looks like you have much more money than you do sense.

Or he wants to future proof is system. In which case it makes perfect sense. If he has the cash to spend, he can spend it. Its his right.
future proof...lol. yes its his money but he needs to stop wasting it on seeing how many cards he can stick in his system and buy a decent size monitor. he is gaining nothing by having tri or quad sli at 1680.

Have you ever even looked at a review of quad or tri sli? If you have then you would KNOW that your current and previous setup is a total waste of money at 1680. Even if it was worth a crap at 1680 what game is out thee that could possibly need 3 overclocked gtx280 cards to play at just 1680 in the first place. Sorry to sound mean but it looks like you have much more money than you do sense.

I wish I had more money than sense.:)

But forreal if tri sli makes you happy and amped to run games especially those up coming games like brother in arms, warhead, far cry 2, and others on max then good for you. Who cares if others say your "wasting money on those res", It really doesn't matter. Your chillin with 3 280's. hehe. Make sure you post pics and benchs. goodluck.

Just wait till the new round of games comes out. I cant wait to play Rage from Id or Doom 4 and not have to worry about wether or not my cards will handle it. I have 3 280's and I wont be scrambling to upgrade them to play these games (like some will) and neither will the OP. So yeah, it does make sense.

Just wait till the new round of games comes out. I cant wait to play Rage from Id or Doom 4 and not have to worry about wether or not my cards will handle it. I have 3 280's and I wont be scrambling to upgrade them to play these games (like some will) and neither will the OP. So yeah, it does make sense.

:D Well said... It's just envy.

well the OP obviously updates often so your point is useless. Rage will not be all that demanding of a game and thats one of the benefits they they are touting. not to mention by the time the 30 fps Doom 4 comes out we will have probably gone through 3 or 4 more generations of cards. the future proof argument carries basically no weight. :rolleyes:

:D Well said... It's just envy.
no it wasnt... and no its not.

well the OP obviously updates often so your point is useless. Rage will not be all that demanding of a game and thats one of the benefits they they are touting. not to mention by the time the 30 fps Doom 4 comes out we will have probably gone through 3 or 4 more generations of cards. the future proof argument carries basically no weight. :rolleyes:

no it wasnt... and no its not.

Really? I didnt read anywhere that the OP said He/She updates frequently. Obviously my fat ass.

Oh, and in case you havent been keeping up with things, the raw data for Rage texturs is jsut over 1 terabyte of information. What were you saying about it not being all that demanding of a game?

The future proof argument is valid and it [sarcasm]obviously[/sarcasm] burns you up. ;)

So if the OP is wasting his money buying all this hardware to game on, what is this guy doing?

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1326115

I'd love to see this tri-SLI rig folding some proteins and advancing science. Those GX2s are also capable of folding quite proficiently. 3 280s would surpass my last months work in about 3 days.

Really? I didnt read anywhere that the OP said He/She updates frequently. Obviously my fat ass.

Oh, and in case you havent been keeping up with things, the raw data for Rage texturs is jsut over 1 terabyte of information. What were you saying about it not being all that demanding of a game?

The future proof argument is valid and it [sarcasm]obviously[/sarcasm] burns you up. ;)
well genius the op said he just came off of 9800gx2 quad sli so I would call that pretty frequent. they already said Rage will be the same game across all platforms so NO it wont be that demanding and current high end cards will handle it with ease. also its ignorant as hell to spend $1500 on video cards to be future proof because by the time Doom 4 comes out a single $200 video card will be stronger. not to mention the rest of a system like that will be outdated by then too. obviously my earlier comment about the op having more money than sense holds true for all GTX280 tri sli owners. :rolleyes:

obviously my earlier comment about the op having more money than sense holds true for all GTX280 tri sli owners. :rolleyes:

What's even more senseless is you worrying about how other's want to spend their money. But seeing how powerful your sig rig is, I stand by my comments that it's just envy.

What's even more senseless is you worrying about how other's want to spend their money. But seeing how powerful your sig rig is, I stand by my comments that it's just envy.
thanks for the ignorant reply. its NOT about his system...its the fact the he is only running at 1680 so tri sli with 3 overclocked GTX280 cards IS a waste of money. if he was using a 24-30 inch monitor I would have never said a thing. the op has made it clear that he doesnt even know that he would get the same fps at higher resolution. :rolleyes:

well genius

Why thank you :)

the op said he just came off of 9800gx2 quad sli so I would call that pretty frequent.

Hmmm, I just upgraded from tri 9800's. Before that it was 8800GTS640's. Just because I upgraded one time a few months arpart does not mean I upgraded every few months lol!

they already said Rage will be the same game across all platforms so NO it wont be that demanding and current high end cards will handle it with ease.

Wrong

Rage Will Look Worse on 360 Due to Compression

Update: In an interview with Shacknews, id's John Carmack reiterated that the Xbox 360 version of Rage will look worse than the PlayStation 3 version.

Carmack said that the uncompressed build of Rage encompasses a terrabyte of data, and that id will need to use a "different type of compression" to fit the game on two dual-layer Xbox 360 DVDs.

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/53976

also its ignorant as hell to spend $1500 on video cards to be future proof because by the time Doom 4 comes out a single $200 video card will be stronger.

I wish I had your crystal ball so I could see what next weeks Lotto numbers will be.

not to mention the rest of a system like that will be outdated by then too.

Again, can I borrow that crystal ball please? Prettyplease??

obviously my earlier comment about the op having more money than sense holds true for all GTX280 tri sli owners. :rolleyes:

Ohhh, I have at least enough sense not to post uninformed opinions and try to pass them off as fact.

Why thank you :)

Hmmm, I just upgraded from tri 9800's. Before that it was 8800GTS640's. Just because I upgraded one time a few months arpart does not mean I upgraded every few months lol!
Wrong
I wish I had your crystal ball so I could see what next weeks Lotto numbers will be.
Again, can I borrow that crystal ball please? Prettyplease??
Ohhh, I have at least enough sense not to post uninformed opinions and try to pass them off as fact.
wow you are really stupid. did you even read the fucking link that you posted? the 360 will get worse version because of dvd storage limitation not because it cant handle the same level graphics of that the ps3 and pc version of Rage are getting.

wow you are really stupid. did you even read the fucking link that you posted? the 360 will get worse version because of dvd storage limitation not because it cant handle the same level graphics of that the ps3 and pc version of Rage are getting.

Ohhh, pot shots now eh? lol, c'mon! is stupid the best you can do?.....

Yes, I infact did read the link and it is NOT just due to dvd storage limitations. Id and every other game company will say that their game will run across all platforms, or the game will run on midlevel systems. Look at what Crytek said about Crysis...

Stupid...I have a 3.8 GPA bachlors in Computer Electronics Engineering Technologies that says otherwise. :rolleyes:

wow you are really stupid. did you even read the fucking link that you posted?

Internet tough guy....

InternetToughGuy.jpg

Ohhh, pot shots now eh? lol, c'mon! is stupid the best you can do?.....

Yes, I infact did read the link and it is NOT just due to dvd storage limitations. Id and every other game company will say that their game will run across all platforms, or the game will run on midlevel systems. Look at what Crytek said about Crysis...

Stupid...I have a 3.8 GPA bachlors in Computer Electronics Engineering Technologies that says otherwise. :rolleyes:
it is due to dvd limitations. obliviously that 3.8 gpa is not helping you in reading comprehension. also if you knew so much then you would know he wasted $1500 for three cards to play at 1680.

Back