Just Survive taken offline as of today

Eshelmen

Supreme [H]ardness
https://www.justsurvive.com/news/message-just-survive-team-august-2018

Wish this game became more and I spent a decent amount on this. But today, this game mode is now non existent.

R.I.P

"Dear Survivors,

After careful consideration, we’ve made the difficult decision to sunset Just Survive on Wednesday, October 24 at 11 a.m. PT. The excitement of the game’s promise was palpable and its loyal community is still full of ideas for its future. Unfortunately, we are no longer in a position to fulfill its greatness and the current population of the game makes it untenable to maintain.

Just Survive was part of our first Early Access project, and we learned a great deal during its development. As with any open world game, the greatest stories came from our passionate players. From the incredibly skilled base builders to the free-ranging gangs, and all of the players named variations of “ImFriendly” and “PleaseDontShootMe”, we hope everyone had amazing adventures across Pleasant Valley and Badwater Canyon.

Thank you for taking the time to play the game, to help test it when we opened the Test servers to the public, and for all of the suggestions and feedback throughout Early Access. We truly appreciate everyone’s commitment and your contributions throughout the development process. Our promise is to do better and learn from every experience along the way.

Just Survive servers will remain available for play until Wednesday, October 24 at 11 a.m. PT, and starting immediately all Steam purchases and in-game transactions have been disabled. To find out if you are eligible for a refund via Steam, please visit this link.

Thank you again for your support and dedication to Just Survive.

Best,

The Just Survive Team at Daybreak Games"

Last edited:
Never heard of the game.

But this shows why always online games are a menace.

When it is no longer profitable the servers are shut down. We need some sort of customer protection and fast. That will require the publisher to keep the servers on-line at least 5 years after the last copy of the game is sold. Or they can choose to release the dedicated servers to the public so people can run their own servers.

What I have learned from purchasing games with an online component.

Don't purchase it "in advance" with intentions of playing later as many developers nowadays will shutter the servers within a month of release. You are not purchasing the next "Mario" game or something that you can reminisce about years later. You are buying into a quick cash grab that has a 1 / 1,000 chance of becoming popular and sustainable enough to keep the servers going. I have seen $50 games last less than a month with no refunds. If people aren't buying new copies of the game a year later then the game will shutdown. Keep your money in your pocket.

Lots of these companies license their server software which makes sense; why reinvent the wheel right? Well that also means that they can't release the dedicated server code because it belongs to someone else. Dead game is now even deader. :)

So that just means stay away from smaller projects and buy from the big publishers? WRONG! EA will shutter a server with one announcement. Square Enix has shuttered servers without much fanfare. Buying into online only games is a bad idea.

What most people fail to realize is that we purchase game licenses and that means that you DO NOT own the game. Even physical media is a just another way of distributing the license to a product that you do not own. Think of it as a rental property. You sign the yearly lease and then the owner decides he wants to move back into the house so he refuses to lease to you again. That means that you have to move on and find a new place to live. Same thing in the gaming world; you have to move on.

DRM free games don't mean that you can play the multiplayer aspect after the company shuts down. They are lost to the nether also.

Multiplayer today means that you accept that your purchase might be dead and gone within 2 weeks of launch. So play the game as much as you can and for as long as you can those first few weeks before the developers realize that they aren't making enough money to pay the bills and shut it down.

Never heard of the game.

But this shows why always online games are a menace.

When it is no longer profitable the servers are shut down. We need some sort of customer protection and fast. That will require the publisher to keep the servers on-line at least 5 years after the last copy of the game is sold. Or they can choose to release the dedicated servers to the public so people can run their own servers.
Just Survive was the survival portion of H1Z1 when they split the game into two pieces. King of the Kill is the battle royale piece and Just Survive was the survival DayZ-like piece.

I have no sympathy for a so-so survival game biting the dust, but I hate to see DayBreak wither away like that. The Forgelight netcode in PlanetSide 2 is just miraculous, warts and all, but the devs squandered all the potential.

DayBreak has done it to themselves. PS2 was generally mis-managed and is dying a slow death, they dropped EQ Next which was a big game everyone was wanting, and H1Z1 really sealed the deal. I'll never throw money their way again.

SOE really has gone to hell since the Japanese owners pulled the plug on Everquest Next. I don't know if they were stalling the project just to keep a job it had alot of things going for it.

some online games work, others are just a shitshow. All the different monetization strategies are annoying. I am about fed up with the current battle royalle shit. This game would have been fine if it had an offline mode. You don't get the coop/pvp but... screw that. Playing monster hunter world now, they have a decent offline mode.

Back