• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Just started vibecoding.

equinox654

Gawd
Joined
Apr 7, 2005
Messages
979
Had some videos come up about astra last sunday and had work buy me a Premium sub.

Here is my experience from the past 2 weeks:

I had been sleeping on AI. My company is around 3.5 years old and I am a minority partner and the engineering manager, so I am heavily incentivized to be involved with things outside my normal scope. In the past I have made product catalogs, played IT guy and helped out in anything requiring tech knowledge.

We have standard products, but do a ton of custom steel work. We have around 20k drawing pdfs from products we have created and things are getting to the point that we cant find anything. I implemented PDM recently, but manpower wise its impossible to move everything to it, so it will take a long time to be useful.
I had the idea to vibecode an indexer for my drawings. I worked with it for half the day yesterday and ended up with a solution that can find any drawing I want and open its working directory while displaying large thumbnails and contextual information.
That project turned into a whole ass intranet running off of the server next to my desk.
I had it make a page on the intranet where the shop guys request revisions and upload pictures or pdfs and it creates Jira card for my team.

I also had it review our mathcad files and create a desktop application that implements our calculations for quick design checks. - I still need to have my engineer validate it.

The context it gained by having it create the drawing indexer helped me with a solidworks automation test. Our main product is load bearing hatches that are cast into precast blocks for infrastructure.
I gave it an example model and asked it to resize it to another size without using vision to save tokens. It referenced similar sized hatches that exist due to the context from the indexer it created. Initial results are promising. - I essentially make infinite hatch size and hardware combinations all day, so the automation will help.

It also made me a solidworks addon to make generating structural members in the solidworks toolbox less of a pain in the ass.

If I wasn't almost out of tokens I would be having it create a desktop application for automation in as many product families as possible.

It is amazing at checking drawings. We had to make 48 pipe stands for a customer, but we had to change them from welded (in their drawing) to bolted connections. I gave it their drawings and our drawings and explained the context and had it red line our drawings and it found more errors I wouldnt have noticed and pointed out errors in the customer drawing.


Fortunately my team is small consisting of another partner (The Engineer) and my son and a new draftsman. So I can automate the bejesus out of everything and the worst thing that will happen is that we will put the 4090s and 5080s in our workstations to use other than solidworks.
 
I think that one place that it shine the most, doing custom solution for yourself, not try to compete with what a solid team of human programmer can do for general product.

And that a bit why it did not change much the public facing software world to the public eyes, because most use case its peoples/enterprise making custom solution for themselve, that they are never polished enough to sales/share (or not particular want too as a competitive advantage, troubles it opens or so custom-specific there is no one else that would want it)

Know someone that convert house plan into bill of materials for example.
 
I am so AI pilled now that I had work buy the $200 claude subscription yesterday. I had it code a solidworks mcp server and taught it about my products and standards.
It has been making my drawings for me today. It made a complex hinged trash rack (for sifting water run off) for a infrastructure project that would have taken me a few hours especially since the pdf provided was blurry.
We have made a few sizes of these before and I copied one and opened the main assembly and gave it the pdf and told it that the drawing is for harris county so it might be able to find a clean version online.

It spun for about 25 minutes and spit me out a clean submittal drawing. I couldn't find any errors in its work.
Had it also do some trivial drawings where the customers send over chicken scratch or sales attaches a email thread.

You don't see anyone admitting to cad automation at this scale online, but it works now with solidworks if you vibe code an mcp server.

Edit:
Entry level drafting is cooked.
Claude is handling drafting work better than two of my newer hires.
 
Last edited:
Started a personal project.
My all time favorite BBS door game: LORD 2. I am giving it a remaster overlay. Got the idea from the Diablo 2 remake.
You can hit tab and turn the remaster graphics off. Its still early, but it is surreal.
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot 2026-09-25 212634.png
    Screenshot 2026-09-25 212634.png
    35.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2026-09-25 212340.png
    Screenshot 2026-09-25 212340.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Yeah ... I just landed a 30k job. Building an automated system for my friend's multi-million dollar stucco business. I'm streamlining everything for them so they can sell it for 10 million in a few years. I know I'm supposed to hate AI ... but this is ridiculous. I pay my coding friend to audit / validate everything so I don't do something massively stupid before things ever go live. But I also create 8 trillion back ups of data at all times, just in case.
 
Back
Top