Just put on NV Silencer 5 - Temperatures went up? <confused>

Neo_Cloud_99

Limp Gawd
I do have a modded BIOS for the card but even still with the stock cooler I had lower temperatures.

Stock Cooler:
Idle: 58C
Load: 93C
Ambient on Idle: 38

NV Silencer 5:
Idle: 65C
Load: 100C (As high as I let it go before I quit)
Ambient: 38C

I used AS5 on everything, the core, all the RAM. I applied it just like I always do, per www.articsilver.com instructions. I know I put a fairly thick layer of the stuff on everything, thicker than I usually put on stuff. There are no gaps between the cooler and the heat sink... I even checked before I ever added the AS5 and with nothing on anything I didnt notice any gaps. I made sure to clean everything off with some goof off cleaner, which works really well. The fan on the Heat Sink is turning I checked that.

I cant think of anything else except for maybe I need to give the AS5 about 48 hours to set in? Even still I dont think it would drop everything by 10 degrees would it?

Edit: Forgot to mention that I am running the Real-time HDR IBL Demo with screen size maxed while watching the temperature.

Neo_Cloud_99 said:
I cant think of anything else except for maybe I need to give the AS5 about 48 hours to set in? Even still I dont think it would drop everything by 10 degrees would it?

I dont think this is the problem. It sounds like it needs to be reseated. I would take it off and try again and make sure it is mounted securely.

i agree with the reseating idea. with most heatsinks if you dont have on all the way down then it wont perform as well as it should. just dont tighten it too much cuz you dont want to break the screws off nor crack your card. both are bad things to even think about *shivers* :eek: :( good luck. i plan on getting an NV 5 myself once i get enough money. might end up waiting til half life 2 is out til i get one that way i have the money for the game :D

Muuuuch better... went ahead and reseated it and tightened the screws a bit more than I did the first time.

After running the Demo for about 5 minutes it was just barely reaching 72C.

Thanks for the help.

Neo_Cloud_99 said:
Muuuuch better... went ahead and reseated it and tightened the screws a bit more than I did the first time.

After running the Demo for about 5 minutes it was just barely reaching 72C.

Thanks for the help.
Nice. I should receive mine in a few days.

Back