Just pulled the trigger

prostuff1

n00b
Well, i went ahead and did it. With the room mate getting fed up with his laptop (keeps shutting off on him) he decided that he would pay for 3/4 of a new computer. I laid out a plan and told him it would be cool to hook it up to the 37in Westinghouse I got for Christmas. He thought is was a good idea so i picked out pieces and parts with the help of many many people here and on other forums.

So here is the final parts list i have:
Case: Antec P150.
Motherboard: MSI 975X Platinum.
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E4300.
Video Card: BFG Tech BFGR76256GTOCE GeForce 7600GT.
Hard Drive: WD SE16 WD2500KS 250GB.
Memory: G.SKILL 1GB (2 x 512MB) DDR2-800.
DVD Drive: Pioneer DVD Drive.
CPU Cooler: Scythe SCNJ-1100P.
Extras: Also purchased some artic silver 5.

I am going to deal with the tri-cool fan for now and the fan on the video card. But will end up replacing them sooner or later.

Any input is welcome but obviously none of the parts are changing. I will be using XP Pro (get it free through my school) and probably using Xlobby as a front end. I will start trying out things like theatertek and stuff to find out which i like best.

Yep, for right now.

Basically just going to use it for DVD playing, music, videos, and the occasional game. As time goes on I will add all those good things.

You're about two good capture cards away from full a NTSC/ATSC PVR. If and when you do decide to go HD, pick yourself up another HDD, as HD mpeg-2's eat your HDD for breakfast. Other than that, you have a very capable x.264 (and all the other less demanding formats) playback machine.

Back