Just picked up an Alienware M14x

ZenDragon

[H]ard|Gawd
http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-M14x/pd.aspx

Upgraded to 6GB ram, and the more expensive NIC with WiMax, and added Bluetooth. I contemplated upgrading to the 900p display but it seemed kind of pointless at only 14 inches. Somebody please tell me I did OK before I have a nervous breakdown for having just spent $1400 dollars on a laptop. Oy! lol!

It certainly does look sexy... haha

The upgrading to 6GB was a waste. You can get 8GB of 1600Mhz RAM off newegg for it for the same price as the upgrade to 6.

I would have gotten the 900p screen, but that is really personal preference. At 14" you can't notice to much of a quality difference for movies and stuff, but it does get you more real estate for multitasking and stuff. I've heard rumors that the upgraded screen gets much brighter than the stock screen...not sure if that's true or not.

Other than that, yours looks about the same as I would get. Not worth upgrading much other than the screen, nic, and bluetooth imo.

Enjoy it!

Zen , dont worry about it. I returned a m11x cause i didnt like it after 2 weeks. if you dont like it they will take it back

Zen , dont worry about it. I returned a m11x cause i didnt like it after 2 weeks. if you dont like it they will take it back

Yea and he will eat a 15% restocking fee if he just wants to return it for a full refund unless he buys another system from Dell/Alienware.

So the worrying thing is normal.

The upgrading to 6GB was a waste. You can get 8GB of 1600Mhz RAM off newegg for it for the same price as the upgrade to 6.

I would have gotten the 900p screen, but that is really personal preference. At 14" you can't notice to much of a quality difference for movies and stuff, but it does get you more real estate for multitasking and stuff. I've heard rumors that the upgraded screen gets much brighter than the stock screen...not sure if that's true or not.

Other than that, yours looks about the same as I would get. Not worth upgrading much other than the screen, nic, and bluetooth imo.

Good point about the ram lol, oh well too late now. Do you know what type of ram they are using from the factory for these things? Brand, CAS latency, etc? Doesnt really specify on the website except for clock speed. I wonder if they use 2x2GB configuration or 1x4GB, for a 4GB order?

And yea I considerd that regarding the 900p screen, just didnt seem worth the extra cost at only a 14 inches. For a 17+ system I definately would have gone for the upgraded screen.

I picked up one of the 17" variety a couple months ago. Once I got the kinks out, it turned out to be a solid machine. I had to flash to a new bios in order for the battery to charge :rolleyes:. That had me a little worried at the start. But, a format and some new drivers and I was good to go.

m17x r2, 1920x1200, 740qm, 8gig, 2 5870's, 2 500g raid0

I think you'll be impressed if you give it some time.

Good point about the ram lol, oh well too late now. Do you know what type of ram they are using from the factory for these things? Brand, CAS latency, etc? Doesnt really specify on the website except for clock speed. I wonder if they use 2x2GB configuration or 1x4GB, for a 4GB order?

And yea I considerd that regarding the 900p screen, just didnt seem worth the extra cost at only a 14 inches. For a 17+ system I definately would have gone for the upgraded screen.

I don't know the brand but it is 11-11-11-28.

And they use 2x2 for 4GB. They do specify that it is dual channel.

Yea and he will eat a 15% restocking fee if he just wants to return it for a full refund unless he buys another system from Dell/Alienware.

So the worrying thing is normal.

pretty sure its full money back within 21 days

pretty sure its full money back within 21 days

Q What is Dell’s return policy?
A If you'd like to return your Dell order please note:

You must contact Customer Service within 21 days of the invoice date.
Unless the product is defective or the return is a direct result of a Dell error, a restocking fee will apply of up to 15% of the purchase price paid, plus any applicable sales tax

DELL/Alienware Website

Q What is Dell’s return policy?
A If you'd like to return your Dell order please note:

You must contact Customer Service within 21 days of the invoice date.
Unless the product is defective or the return is a direct result of a Dell error, a restocking fee will apply of up to 15% of the purchase price paid, plus any applicable sales tax

DELL/Alienware Website

That's either a new policy or it's never enforced. Typically Dell goes out of its way to get the customer to keep his/her machine by giving out Dell gift certificates.

That was once one of the positives of buying from Dell. If they no longer do that then I will definitely not buy from them ever again.

That's either a new policy or it's never enforced. Typically Dell goes out of its way to get the customer to keep his/her machine by giving out Dell gift certificates.

That was once one of the positives of buying from Dell. If they no longer do that then I will definitely not buy from them ever again.

They will waive the restocking fee for returns if you buy another system from them which makes sense because you are giving them business.

If you just decide you want to return a laptop w/o anything wrong with it because you no longer like it and you used or opened the box that Dell/Alienware configured, they will charge a restocking fee and sell that returned laptop for a cheaper price on Dell Outlet. They can't just waive it because they will lose money and opening the sealed brand new box of a product depreciates the value which explains 20-40% lower prices on Dell Outlet.

they didnt charge me any restock fee for my m11x. Im in canada.

Its supposed to be delivered tomorrow, do you all think it would be worth the extra $75 and hassle for returning it to get the 900p screen?

Wait untill you see it in action the decide if tis somthing you cant live with.

Yes, wait until you get it. The resolution is really a matter of personal preference. Some people thinks 900p makes things to small on a 14" while some people say they need the extra screen space. So see if it makes you happy. If it does, great. If it doesn't, decide if it's worth the time and money to get replaced.

Back