Just picked up 2x 8800gs, now what to do with them...

arnemetis

2[H]4U
Argh, I've been bitten by the folding bug, I couldn't pass up a deal for these in the fs/t forum, now what the hell am I gonna do :confused: I was thinking of passing them along to my friend's pc which has an old 6800 ultra pci-e, buth then i realized he has a single core Athlon 64 3700+ at 2.2ghz (socket 939 & ddr!). I seem to recall gpu folding needing a whole core to itself while in xp, am I just crazy? He has a 600 watt seasonic power supply so it will handle it fine, but I'm worried about the processor. I want to put these puppies to good use, help me figure out how without building another box!

NV cards need 5-10% of the proc, he wont even notice.

actually it barely even touches the processor now kendrak.. mine bounces between 0 and 1% cpu usage.. thats with boinc running and without boinc running..
only time i ran into a performance problem was with the old test WU's that did require the cpu but as long as it allowed it to use 2-5% it was fine..

the processor should be fine.. he could even game no problem.. it wont be cpu limited by the processor either.. should pass it on to your friend.. would be a nice thing for him.. wont feel left behind in the technology world :p

I was trying to take into account a slower proc.

On my q6600 I get ~2% usage (or less). I was just taking up up a few notches just in case.

suprising it shows anything on your system kendrak.. im using a x2 be-2350@ 3.05ghz and it rarely shows any cpu usage.. usually just sits at 0% and every once in a while it goes to 1 or 2% cpu usage..

Evil gave me a nifty little program that is a bit more detailed ;)

meh nifty programs to show cpu usage.. the double 100% graphs on windows task manager is good enough for me.. :p

Thanks everyone. Will be adding these to his rig soon. He uses two screens of different resolutions, so the whole sli thing turns him off anyway. He will just use one for running each screen, and in games dedicate one to physics or just not use it. Either way, its a nice step up for him, and makes folding easier without having to deal with enabling/disabling sli.

Thank heaven for extra HD's ;) Against my better judgement (damn beta expires in Aug, buts I'm impressed with it :p) I have installed Win 7 beta 32 bit on my E6600 and Win 7 beta 64 bit on one of my Q6600's. The biggest reason I underwent these hassles (swapping HD's, reformatting two previous Linux drives, etc) was to check out the new home network password deal, from my understanding you needs at least two Win 7 boxen. (the other Q6600 runs WinXP w/SP3 and taskmanager always shows 100% :()

After swapping out HD's, reformatting (I love Qparted), DLing nVIDIA's 180.20 VISTA 32 bit driver and the VISTA 181.20 64 bit driver, installing and configuring the VISTA GPU2 console client, installing FAHmon, etc I go into my taskmanager. For the E6600 and a eVGA 8800GS I never go above 5%, mostly stays under 4%. For the Q6600 and a eVGA 9600GSO I never go above 3% (24.7 folding, the GS is always 200 pernts or so ahead of the GSO :confused:)

To make a long story short and get back on topic. :) I don't think 5% max cpu usage is gonna' be a big problem. If by chance it is, just tell him to bring up the "snooze" function when he's gamming or whatever. :cool:

Edit: Talk about bein' EUWTDA's (Eat up with the dumb a$$'es, I must have a case of the "Dubya's", I like abbreviations) :mad: I realize there's no "snooze" deal in F@H GPU2 :rolleyes:. So if a 5% or less CPU load troubles the computer or the computer operater, just stop the GPU2 client (Ctrl + C), shortcut it and just remember to fire it up when you're done futsin' around :D. The only reason I can think of I'd even mention the "snooze" deal is on both my quads (Q6600's) I do WCG on cores #0, #1 and #2 and GPU2 on core #3. With the dual (E6600) I do GPU2 on core #1 and WCG on core #0.

I hope this helps in some way :)

Folding and WCGing for the CURE

Change of plans, my friend has decided he needs to reduce his electricity usage, and so I need to make a new system of my own to run this. Throw me some suggestions for a board and psu please, I'll probably pair it with an amd black edition dual core and 4gb ddr2. Since I'll need to justify this system as a spare gaming rig now, I'll need sli capable motherboards as well, which I suppose severly limits my options. Thanks to anyone who can offer me some help.

Cheapest SLI I saw but it's a Zotac and I'm not sure how their boards or support are. If you don't mind open box, here's an Asus.

Back