Just passed Network+

AMD_Gamer

Fully [H]
i am on a roll i just passed the Network+ with a 760, it was so easy i cant even think of a hard question i blew threw it, I was in and out of the testing center within 45 minutes i think it took me maybe 20-25 minutes for all 85 questions , the only thing is they word the questions very strange so sometimes you need to think about it for a second, i used the Sybex book and practice tests/study notes i found online, also i am a big networking guy so that helped alot. if anybody is planning to do the network+ i can help you out on how to study or if you have any questions.

i now have Network+ and MCTS Vista Configuration exam 70-620

its now on to the A+ to get that out of the way then i am planning an all out attack on the CCNA!

:D

Congrats on passing the N+.

Unless your job is requiring you to take the A+ exam, I would skip it entirely. Let me just say that I've never had an employer go "Wow, you mean you're A+ certified?!?". Unless you're trying to get a job fixing 'puters for 10 bucks an hour, it really is a useless certification track. I got mine in 1998, and it's never been a difference maker.

My advice: get the CCNA. It actually has the potential to score you a decent job. Not many other certs carry this kind of weight.

Congrats on passing the N+.

Unless your job is requiring you to take the A+ exam, I would skip it entirely. Let me just say that I've never had an employer go "Wow, you mean you're A+ certified?!?". Unless you're trying to get a job fixing 'puters for 10 bucks an hour, it really is a useless certification track. I got mine in 1998, and it's never been a difference maker.

My advice: get the CCNA. It actually has the potential to score you a decent job. Not many other certs carry this kind of weight.

I am just trying to stack my resume to get an entry level job at some point, and the A+ and Network+ are electives for MSCE/MCSA in case i decide to go that route.

I always look at certifications like online MMO's....the more stuff you have the better, heh.

I never got the obsession in the US with "certifications"?
Take me, no papers what so ever(in IT), but what I have picked up since the Commodore 64 landed me my current job, network technician at an ISP.

If I where to look at applicants I would look more at their personality(does it fit into the rest of the team) and how "quick" them seem, anything work-related can be thaugth fast, if the applicant is a fast leaner...I know we prefer fast leaners/good personality over peoples certificaion where I work.

I never got the obsession in the US with "certifications"?
Take me, no papers what so ever(in IT), but what I have picked up since the Commodore 64 landed me my current job, network technician at an ISP.

If I where to look at applicants I would look more at their personality(does it fit into the rest of the team) and how "quick" them seem, anything work-related can be thaugth fast, if the applicant is a fast leaner...I know we prefer fast leaners/good personality over peoples certificaion where I work.

Certs aren't everything. In fact, many (including myself) would argue that all certs are useless, with the only exceptions being the Cisco CC*, anything by Juniper (since they're the cool new kids on the block), and the CISSP security cert. Take it from an MCSE when I say the Microsoft certs are a complete waste of time.

Certs aren't everything. In fact, many (including myself) would argue that all certs are useless, with the only exceptions being the Cisco CC*, anything by Juniper (since they're the cool new kids on the block), and the CISSP security cert. Take it from an MCSE when I say the Microsoft certs are a complete waste of time.

Like readning my mind! :eek::D;)

I used my A+ and Network+ as an elective for my Windows 2000 MCSA, so I can vouch for AMD_Gamer on that one.

Wow reading this thread made me start to think.. I graduate this december with a 2 year degree in IT administration. Mind you that i already have my bachelors in mathematics. My goal is to get into IT of course, but is it even worth me getting my certs to land the job that i want? Even if i have the degrees,my gpa is a 4.0 and i graduate at the top of the class? The classes i have taken thus far are a+ hardware and software, networking +, active directory, ccna, linux, server 2003, MCDST, and im currently taking security+.
I am planning on getting the ccna certification, around the time i graduate because i know thats where the money is and what i want to do, but is the others worth my time? As i have stated before i was always under the inpression that i must have the certifications to land a job in IT, and i really want to know what certs are necessary.

Wow reading this thread made me start to think.. I graduate this december with a 2 year degree in IT administration. Mind you that i already have my bachelors in mathematics. My goal is to get into IT of course, but is it even worth me getting my certs to land the job that i want? Even if i have the degrees,my gpa is a 4.0 and i graduate at the top of the class? The classes i have taken thus far are a+ hardware and software, networking +, active directory, ccna, linux, server 2003, MCDST, and im currently taking security+.
I am planning on getting the ccna certification, around the time i graduate because i know thats where the money is and what i want to do, but is the others worth my time? As i have stated before i was always under the inpression that i must have the certifications to land a job in IT, and i really want to know what certs are necessary.

i think so, they will help stack your resume and i believe that they show your employer that you are serious about what you are doing

i think so, they will help stack your resume and i believe that they show your employer that you are serious about what you are doing

Even still, the only ones that a prospective employer will be "wowed" by, will come from Cisco. Literally nothing else means anything to employers, unless they have some sort of vendor requirement for other certs.

Even still, the only ones that a prospective employer will be "wowed" by, will come from Cisco. Literally nothing else means anything to employers, unless they have some sort of vendor requirement for other certs.

Not all ISP's use Cisco.
We use Zyxel/Juniper, so if certificates where a deciding factor...Juniper certs. would mean a lot more than Cisco certs.

Certs aren't worthless. They help you to learn new concepts, remember forgotten ones, and always look good on a resume. My A+ got me my first IT job so I would definitely recommend it.

So you speak for all employers?

Certs aren't worthless. They help you to learn new concepts, remember forgotten ones, and always look good on a resume. My A+ got me my first IT job so I would definitely recommend it.

of course they're not 'worthless', but I can almost guarantee that employers aren't going to hire you just because you have X cert. If they do, they're stupid. Personally, I don't have any networking certs (I plan to, just don't have the time right now), but I've met people that had a CCNA and didn't know much about networking at all. On the other hand I have a SCJP 5 cert, but I don't do any programming anymore, so I assure you I could not pass it again without studying hard for it (I could pass, but I'd have to relearn quite a few things).

Anyway, point is, you can't go just by certs. you need real-world experience and more importantly the willingness (and ability) to learn and adapt to new technology.

Also, congrats to the OP on his new cert.

The CISSP isn't really that hard of a cert. I have it and wouldn't call myself any sort of security expert. I'm half way through the CCSP and still say the same thing. I can't say that certs prove you aren't really bad at your job, but I can say I have only met 1 person in all of my years in IT that couldn't pass certs and was actually competent. The other 99.9% that couldn't pass certs were truly bad and shouldn't have been in IT.

I will also say I've met enough CS majors to know that a degree is about as accurate an indicator as certs are when it comes to knowing what they are doing.

Back