• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Just ordered the XFX HD5750 :D

Dr. Righteous

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 1, 2007
Messages
3,163
Amazon, $129.99. Free shipping. Can't complain. :D
It is the XFX HD575XZNFC. 1GB memory.
I'm a casual gamer and my last card was a HD4830 with was plenty adiquate for my 1400x900 LCDs. The 5750 should out preform that card by a good margin plus I will add a 3rd monitor.
Mainly so I can game or browse the web while all my work stuff is up at the same time. ;)
The most demanding game I have right now is FarCry 2. This card shouldn't sweat it.

Anyone using this card? What is your honest assessment?
 
you should have spend a little more for way more powerful one 5770..

its not a good idea to go with 5750 TBH.... even at that price is still high..
 
you should have spend a little more for way more powerful one 5770..

its not a good idea to go with 5750 TBH.... even at that price is still high..

Yeah, I was drooling of the 5770, but it is 40-50 bux more, depending on what one you bought.
Like I said, I'm a casual gamer, so the price point made it very attractive.

Price is high? What are you talking about?
It is MSRP for a 1GB version. Nobody is discounting these. Most vendors want ABOVE MSRP.
Same price Newegg lists it for. But I would have to take a tax hit because they have a warehouse in Memphis so they can ship quickly FedEx. Great for people out of state, not for me. $129 is the low price of the 1GB version. The 512 was a bit cheaper, but not much.
I have been waiting several months for prices to come down more, but the demand for the HD 5xxx cards remains high, so prices are not discounted much.
 
Last edited:
you should have spend a little more for way more powerful one 5770..

its not a good idea to go with 5750 TBH.... even at that price is still high..

Actually, the HD 5750 is not that far behind the HD 5770 in overall performance. But it is in a tough spot since a Powercolor HD 4850 (which is comparable in overall performance to the HD 5750) can be bought for $110 (for the 1GB version).

To the OP:
So, in buying an HD 5750, you did improve performance over your existing HD 4830 - but not by enough to justify spending its going price at NewEgg. You should have spent a little more for the HD 5770 in order to be worth the upgrade.
 
Last edited:
Yeah, I was drooling of the 5770, but it is 40-50 bux more, depending on what one you bought.
Like I said, I'm a casual gamer, so the price point made it very attractive.

Price is high? What are you talking about?
It is MSRP for a 1GB version. Nobody is discounting these. Most vendors want ABOVE MSRP.
Same price Newegg lists it for. But I would have to take a tax hit because they have a warehouse in Memphis so they can ship quickly FedEx. Great for people out of state, not for me. $129 is the low price of the 1GB version. The 512 was a bit cheaper, but not much.
I have been waiting several months for prices to come down more, but the demand for the HD 5xxx cards remains high, so prices are not discounted much.

You should be able to find a 4890 at that price and outperform easily..

also, 5750 is not going to give you a playable fps on eyefinity level... unless the game have some kind of lowest setting that dramatically boost the performance up..

5750 is pretty close to your 4830 I believe, a bit of performance bump but not by a great margin... which is not really a wise idea to go for it in first place..
 
Actually, the HD 5750 is not that far behind the HD 5770 in overall performance. But it is in a tough spot since a Powercolor HD 4850 (which is comparable in overall performance to the HD 5750) can be bought for $110 (for the 1GB version).

To the OP:
So, in buying an HD 5750, you did improve performance over your existing HD 4830 - but not by enough to justify spending its going price at NewEgg. You should have spent a little more for the HD 5770 in order to be worth the upgrade.

Check out this review. The 5750 scores better than the 4850, nowhere close.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5750-review-crossfirex/13

I looked at 48xx cards, but the ones that were faster, were also more expensive.
The 5xxx series has the benefits of DX11 and Eyefinity. I really don't care much for gaming with eyefinity, but mainly for work. If I wanted to game with Eyefinity, I definitely needed a higher end card. I'm still on Win XP, and I have never played Crysis. SO I really don't care if it "won't play Crysis" :p

I will eventually upgrade to windows 7 but I'm going to wait and see what happens with Bulldozer next year. I will probably go with an all new system then.
 
Check out this review. The 5750 scores better than the 4850, nowhere close.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/radeon-hd-5750-review-crossfirex/13

I looked at 48xx cards, but the ones that were faster, were also more expensive.
The 5xxx series has the benefits of DX11 and Eyefinity. I really don't care much for gaming with eyefinity, but mainly for work. If I wanted to game with Eyefinity, I definitely needed a higher end card. I'm still on Win XP, and I have never played Crysis. SO I really don't care if it "won't play Crysis" :p

I will eventually upgrade to windows 7 but I'm going to wait and see what happens with Bulldozer next year. I will probably go with an all new system then.

Actually, the 4850 that they tested had only 512MB of memory versus the 5750's 1GB. So, they're not exactly comparing apples to apples. Plus, 512MB cards will always suffer at the high 1920x1200 resolution that they tested at regardless of the GPU used (although a 512MB GeForce 9800 GT did not come out too bad in that test). In other words, the 4850 really needs 1GB of RAM to be on par with the 5750 1GB card at 1920x1200.

And even then, it does not matter because the 5750 still can't really deliver playable frame rates in FC2 @ 1920x1200 (although it comes close to the 30 fps minimum that I'd consider "minimally acceptable").
 
Last edited:
Actually, the 4850 that they tested had only 512MB of memory versus the 5750's 1GB. So, they're not exactly comparing apples to apples. Plus, 512MB cards will always suffer at the high 1920x1200 resolution that they tested at regardless of the GPU used (although a 512MB GeForce 9800 GT did not come out too bad in that test). In other words, the 4850 really needs 1GB of RAM to be on par with the 5750 1GB card at 1920x1200.

And even then, it does not matter because the 5750 still can't really deliver playable frame rates in FC2 @ 1920x1200 (although it comes close to the 30 fps minimum that I'd consider "minimally acceptable").

I'm not going to argue with you there. But I can't game at that resolution.
My monitor maxes out at 1400x900. At that lower resolution this card should be plenty speedy. ;)

The synthetic bench numbers give the 4850 a tiny edge, but still, bang for the buck the 5750 is a winner.
I'm also going to try some OCing on this card, probably modest OCing. The 4830 I had puked even with a slight OC. I will bet this card
will preform better.
One more thing. That review was from Oct last year. The card was brand new then and since then the drivers have been optimized quite a bit.

.
 
Last edited:
Congratulations with your new card. :)


It seems like a great card IMHO for your resolution. DX11, low (idle) power consumption, good performance. I think I would have made the same choice if I were in your position, I think this is a good sweet spot.
 
You should be able to find a 4890 at that price and outperform easily..

Didn't see this part last night.

WOW, find me a 4890 for that price! Unless you are talking about lucking out Craigslist you WON'T.

TigerDirect 209.00 + shipping

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5210080&CatId=3669

NewEgg $199 + shipping + tax

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150438&Tpk=hd 4890

Amazon $230 (no ship, no tax)

http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-4890P...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1273409394&sr=8-2

Believe me I'm a comparison shopper big time. I waited these out waiting for the prices to drop on the 4870 and 4890 cards hoping to snag a deal. They never did and they went up because the supply is short.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Congratulations with your new card. :)


It seems like a great card IMHO for your resolution. DX11, low (idle) power consumption, good performance. I think I would have made the same choice if I were in your position, I think this is a good sweet spot.

Thank for agreeing with me and not beating me down for wasting my money! LOL
Just kidding guys.

I would LOVE to have the time and money to invest in a high end gaming rig, but the fact is I don't. More of a time thing. A family man with mortgage and car payments has to budget his time and money pretty carefully. ;)
 
the ebay sales by buy.com let me get a new xfx 5770 shipped to my door after instant bing cash back for $132.00us
I think you did a good deal though
 
I'm not going to argue with you there. But I can't game at that resolution.
My monitor maxes out at 1400x900. At that lower resolution this card should be plenty speedy. ;)

The synthetic bench numbers give the 4850 a tiny edge, but still, bang for the buck the 5750 is a winner.
I'm also going to try some OCing on this card, probably modest OCing. The 4830 I had puked even with a slight OC. I will bet this card
will preform better.
One more thing. That review was from Oct last year. The card was brand new then and since then the drivers have been optimized quite a bit.

In that case, then, the choice between the older 4850 and the newer 5750 is pretty much a toss-up at that price point. Besides, the XFX-branded 4850 actually costs as much as the 5750. As a result, you made the "right" choice.

you should have spend a little more for way more powerful one 5770..

its not a good idea to go with 5750 TBH.... even at that price is still high..

As for this quote, remember the put-down of "LE" and "SE" GPUs? When we were younger, we would bash "LE" and "SE" chips as "Lame Edition" and "S****y Edition", respectively. But some of those very chips turned out to be good buys for those who really can't quite afford the full-blown version of those GPUs. The 5750 is code-named "Juniper LE" (as opposed to the "Juniper XT" code name for the 5770). The above quote is very typical of LE- and SE-bashers. (In this particular case, the 5750 is simply a lower-clocked and slightly undervolted version of the 5770 unlike many other "LE" and "SE" GPUs which had features internally disabled on them -- in other words, the 5750 is to the 5770 as the 8500 LE is to the 8500 PRO; in both cases the LE versions are simply lower-clocked versions of their full-blown siblings.) As such, the 5750 would do just fine in an HTPC that would also be doing some moderate gaming.
 
Last edited:
Didn't see this part last night.

WOW, find me a 4890 for that price! Unless you are talking about lucking out Craigslist you WON'T.

TigerDirect 209.00 + shipping

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5210080&CatId=3669

NewEgg $199 + shipping + tax

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150438&Tpk=hd 4890

Amazon $230 (no ship, no tax)

http://www.amazon.com/Diamond-4890P...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1273409394&sr=8-2

Believe me I'm a comparison shopper big time. I waited these out waiting for the prices to drop on the 4870 and 4890 cards hoping to snag a deal. They never did and they went up because the supply is short.

try to find a used one on forum, shouldn't be that hard

few hours ago I just saw a XFX 4890 NIB for 150 shipped ;)
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
try to find a used one on forum, shouldn't be that hard

few hours ago I just saw a XFX 4890 NIB for 150 shipped ;)

The bad thing about buying used:

Lack of any warranty or technical support whatsoever (with all brands except XFX). Their warranties and technical support are valid only for the original owner of the card.

This means that if anything goes wrong with the card you bought used from a private party, you're f**ked.
 
I don't think that the 5750 is a terrible purchase for 1400x900 resolution. It gives you cheap access to Eyefinity for 3 monitor desktop... as long as you've got native DP or a displayport to VGA adapter! Otherwise the active displayport to DVI costs $100 and so wouldn't be very cheap.
 
The bad thing about buying used:

Lack of any warranty or technical support whatsoever (with all brands except XFX). Their warranties and technical support are valid only for the original owner of the card.

This means that if anything goes wrong with the card you bought used from a private party, you're f**ked.

But in this case, its XFX, and its NIB, which have a fresh warranty .. :D
 
But in this case, its XFX, and its NIB, which have a fresh warranty .. :D

In other words, had I relied upon only the "big" resellers such as Newegg, I would have paid significantly more than that for a 4890 - in fact, Newegg's going price for a 4890 is commensurate with its overall performance (relative to the newer HD 5xxx series line).
 
Why are people recommending a 4890 when the OP will be running 3 monitors?

I have to chime in with the people that say that eyefinity gaming on a 5750 is less than optimal though. Single screen it should do well, eyefinity it probably won't be that great for gaming.
 
Why are people recommending a 4890 when the OP will be running 3 monitors?

I have to chime in with the people that say that eyefinity gaming on a 5750 is less than optimal though. Single screen it should do well, eyefinity it probably won't be that great for gaming.

BTW guy,
Tom's Hardware latest "Best video card for the money" article agrees with my decision.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-card-radeon-hd-5870-geforce-gtx-480,2621-3.html

As far as Eyefinity, I know you have to have the active adapter to game, if you intend to use a regular DVI/VGA monitor. (to the tune of $100)
BUT, what if you just want to extend you desktop and are not really interested in gaming?
I have read in a few forums that a cheap ($20) passive adaptor works in this case.
can anyone confirm??
 
I got it yesterday and installed it last night. Updated to the 10.4 driver.
All I can say is WOW! It plays all my games with max settings and silky smooth.
Yeah, max res is 1400x900 but I'm more than satisfied.
I then decided to play do some OCing an bumped the CPU clock to 850Mhz.
It actually played good but I started to notice some weird artifacts in Fallout3 but only on dialog screens with NPCs. I left the fan speed stock, so a bump in fan speed might have taken care of it. Didn't mess with it long before I went to bed.
My previous card (4830) would crap it's pants with ANY clock speed increase. I would get a black screen and end up rebooting. This card appears to be very stable!
My next step is to get the DP-VGA adapter and play with having 3 monitors running. :p
 
Back
Top