Just ordered Samsung UN55B8500 55-Inch 1080p 240 Hz LED HDTV

Should have it in a week or two. and Can not wait.

But I am now trying to decide on the best blu-ray option. as I have yet to use one. I considered buying a ps3, since the price points are similair. but am not sure as to how friendly it is for movie playing.

under 300. I am trying to find my best option for a blu ray to go with my new 8500 :)

Thoughts?

Shawn

PS3 works great for me as a blu-ray player. I have it controlled via my Harmony 890 remote using the Logitech PS3 adaptor. You can go cheaper on the remote, but I am happy with my setup.

PS3 will be fine as a blu-ray player, but I think a regular bluray player would be more reliable.

PS3 will be fine as a blu-ray player, but I think a regular bluray player would be more reliable.
Why would you think this, I can't recall hearing of any PS3 compatibility problems. Plus with it's horsepower and connectivity and link to Sony, your pretty much guaranteed updates to the BluRay spec, since they seem to still be developing new revisions of it and obsoleteing standard set-top boxes. Plus you get all kinds of extras, tons of free game demos you can download, PS3 gaming, netflix streaming, media streaming from PC (though your TV will do that), etc.

My dad did the same thing, PS3 + harmony remote + adapter and loves it. He got the 55" 120hz 7100 model, the 240hz sammy we looked at in-store had poor viewing angle and wouldn't have worked well with his seating setup.

Not compatibility problems with bluray material, but with hardware reliability. The failure rate for the PS3 is pretty high compared to other consumer electronics isn't it?

PS3 + their bluetooth remote (~20$) is excellent for playing blurays, its the setup i use.

While you can use the regular controller, its almost unusable.

It supports netflix now too, although you have to use a netflix disk in the drive. I haven't tried this yet myself.

Take a look at the Oppo BDP-80. Nice TV by the way; what kind of deal did you get on it?

Great TV. Just got the same set with a free Soundbar from Best Buy 2 weeks ago. Hope you find what you need.

The PS3 is a very nice unit for playing blu ray. Unless you plan to purchase something like a multi-disk blu ray player, the PS3 will treat you well.

Take a look at the Oppo BDP-80. Nice TV by the way; what kind of deal did you get on it?

I was just going to reccomend that player:D . I'm running a PS3 with my projector setup and it's great. I've owned it for 2 years now and have yet to even really game on it. It just does double duty streaming music and playing dvd's/Blurays. I leave that thing running for days on end, have yet to have any issues. (unlike my shitty xbox)

I have the OPPO BDP-83 and it rocks. It's a bit on the pricey side so the BDP-80 is a lower pricepoint with a different video processor. Here is a comparison of the two's features:
http://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-bdp-80/blu-ray-BDP-80-Compare.aspx

I've read really good reviews on the LG390 and LG370 also though. Check out audioholics.com for their review of the 390

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/...players-hd-dvd-blu-ray/lg-bg390-wi-fi-netflix

Check out avsforums.com for threads on each.

You're going to love your TV. I just bought the 7100 series and it's incredible. Reviews stated some scenes looked almost 3D and they are right. I threw the King Kong blu-ray into my PS3 and during the dino fight it looked like they were going to come right out of the screen. I had a 50 inch DLP 720 before and cannot believe the difference. I'm hooked...I've already had a firmware update from Samsung today. I just bought it last week. Hook up the ethernet to it and it automatically updates...

Not compatibility problems with bluray material, but with hardware reliability. The failure rate for the PS3 is pretty high compared to other consumer electronics isn't it?

Link to proof or do you care to retract your statement?

Hope you guys got a great deal. The new Samsung LED models will be out in the next two months.

Hope you guys got a great deal. The new Samsung LED models will be out in the next two months.

I'm crossing my fingers for a price drop, but I don't expect much. I'm thinking that Avatar "might" allow them to hold the line on current tech and charge a premium for the 3d ability. Either way...i'm not buying a TV capable of 3D, my next projector will. :D

Awesome TV - I got mine back in December and have been loving it. I picked up mine for $3200 + a free Samsung BDP-1600 Bluray player which at the time was a great deal. Worth every penny.

I got my 55 inch for 2300 at best buy. I went in with the intention to buy the samsung 46 inch or the LG 47 inch, but my GF talked me into the 55 inch. gotta love her....:D

Why are you people telling him to get a PS3 when consumer Blu Ray players are FAR better tasked to the job?

ps3 is an outstanding blu-ray player with outstanding firmware support/updates. it may lack some of the internal components of a reference level blu-ray but the vast majority shouldn't be concerned with that. bang for buck for the average consumer goes out the window there.

my concern is plasma vs led lcd. if your room has a lot of natural sunlight, kudos. if not, you would have been better off with a large plasma.

Quieter, have IR, have analog audio out, come with a standard remote, integrated Netflix.

PS3 is a great console, but like others have mention the PS3 won't last long. I have a couple of my friend's Blu-Ray drive die on them within a little over a year. For proof of the reliability of it, just google PS3 Blu-Ray drive failures. You see how many hits it will show.

Back