Just ordered FiOS...

McClintoc

Fully [H]
I have had Charter for about 2 years now and it has been the shittiest 2 years I've ever had. Charter's Internet is piss poor but I just ordered Verizon FiOS last night. I'll be going from 15/5 to 25/25 and paying $55 less a month!

My question is, what kind of modem do I need for FiOS? A cable or DSL modem...or something else?

If you're getting TV service, then you must use the provided router. The line comes in over coaxial.

If you're not getting TV service, you can request the technician to use Cat 5. You can then use the provided router or any standard SOHO router. No modem is required.

If you plan on getting TV service in the future or don't request the Cat 5, you will only be able to use routers with a MoCA connector. I strongly suggest getting the Cat 5 if you can.

If you're getting TV service, then you must use the provided router. The line comes in over coaxial.

If you're not getting TV service, you can request the technician to use Cat 5. You can then use the provided router or any standard SOHO router. No modem is required.

If you plan on getting TV service in the future or don't request the Cat 5, you will only be able to use routers with a MoCA connector. I strongly suggest getting the Cat 5 if you can.

Kinda. You need the actiontek router if you use tv service. They also really recomend you leave its ip settings(your internal network) on its default and the cable boxes pick up dhcp from it to use things like the channel guide.

You can however get verizon to turn on the cat5 port on their gear and run both. One of my friends got them to do this. Pretty much he has the actiontek router sitting there with the wireless turned off to run the cable boxes. He then has a cisco asa hooked by ethernet directly into the other verizon gear.

From the site:

Holy crap. Specs?

I read that it will do roughly 160mbps max throughput..

I personally use a direct ethernet drop to my pfsense router on my fios. However I do not use the TV service at all which the only requirement is that the actiontech is somewhere on the network which will then deliver tv over coax..

I've got Charter 30/3 for like $55 a month and it's the best internet I've had yet. Of course I'd much rather have FiOS. Congrats!

Actually now that I think about it there are a couple qualms I have that I didn't on some other lines. But it's all good, for now. :D

I have had nothing problems with Charter. In the past I've had Cox, Comcast and a couple other and have never had any gripes about those but Charter makes me want to kill myself. :p

You can however get verizon to turn on the cat5 port on their gear and run both. One of my friends got them to do this. Pretty much he has the actiontek router sitting there with the wireless turned off to run the cable boxes. He then has a cisco asa hooked by ethernet directly into the other verizon gear.

Wow I did not know that. Good to know.

Wow I did not know that. Good to know.

They at least were doing this in the past. Pretty much they installed everything then he called and got a rep to activate the second port. Dslreports.com forums use to have a thread on this but it was a few years ago.

i got fios a month ago and that router linked above is exactly what i got

it acts as the modem as well so it gets the coaxial and has 4-ports + wireless built in

I've found the wireless range to be sort of shitty but hey it was free

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.1_Actiontec

DSLreports has an excellent FAQ on FiOS and their preferred router of choice. It has a few known issues with nice hardware being crippled by a smaller-than-average NAT table and that has yet to be resolved; many home users won't notice it but pro-sumers or anyone who torrents will. The specific section I linked above runs through several scenarios for replacing the router, with or without their TV service.

I have FiOS TV at home with their DVR service and tried their internet. If my employer ever stops paying for Comcast Business, I'll switch in a heartbeat but for now life is good in my area. Anyhow, hope this helps.

I appreciate all the info guys. My main question was with the modem/router. I know Verizon will provide me one but all I kept reading was that it was a router so I wasn't sure if I needed a seperate modem or not. But, someone mentioned the provided one from Verizon is both in one.

Friday the 23rd, it's bye bye Charter, hello FiOS!

I got the triple play: TV, Internet, home phone.

I appreciate all the info guys. My main question was with the modem/router. I know Verizon will provide me one but all I kept reading was that it was a router so I wasn't sure if I needed a seperate modem or not. But, someone mentioned the provided one from Verizon is both in one.

Friday the 23rd, it's bye bye Charter, hello FiOS!

I got the triple play: TV, Internet, home phone.

No modem needed. The router just has wan ports in ethernet and coax. The cable boxes use the coax for networking and the actiontek router gives them a dhcp address.

Can I live with you? My upload bandwidth is a measly .75 Mbps.... I hate living in NE.

WOOOT, the line tech is out in the street right now running a line from the junction box up to my house!

Home install tech will be here Friday!

Adios Charter, ya POS!

I suggest you build your own router. The Craptiontech has the smallest NAT table known to god.

I'm a Fios tech out here in the Dallas area. I know that in the former GTE areas (florida,california,texas) we use the westell 9100em router. If you're not ordering tv, then ask the installer to run a cat5 from the ont to the router, that way you can use your own router. Its at the tech's discretion whether to run it for you or use existing wiring and verizon prefers coax whenever possible. One way around it is to prerun the cat5 from where the power meter is to the room you want the router in before the install. Broadbandreports.com is probably your best source for getting around using vz routers even if you have tv.

grrrrrrrrrrrr, I wants...

Do it, it's actually really cheap. Like I said, I'm getting a more robust package than what I currently have and I'm saving about $50 a month. On top of that, if you order it all on-line, they waive the installation fees and you get a free modem.

Do it, it's actually really cheap. Like I said, I'm getting a more robust package than what I currently have and I'm saving about $50 a month. On top of that, if you order it all on-line, they waive the installation fees and you get a free modem.

I unfortunately can not get it in my area yet. The closest place it is available is seriously 10 miles across the state border in RI. Which is why I am looking at houses over there :D.

Back