• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Just ordered a 5850 radeon

Tzzird

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
May 9, 2006
Messages
5,890
For about $230 under [H]ot Deals.

Didn't even consider whether it would run on my system. I only have one HD, a DVD burner, a blu-ray drive, and a e6420 processor. Think my 520W Corsair PSU will be fine?
 
520 will be fine. It should have the two 6 pin connectors to plug it in.
 
yeah, i just bit on this deal too. This will actually be my first ati card, hope I won't regret it.
 
The system in my sig with a an HD5870 @ 900/1250 pulled 250W from the wall during a typical gaming load (and never more than 270W). Even with a generous PSU efficiency of 85%, that's still only a ~210W load. That said, the 5850 consumes even less power (~40W less typically), so even if the rest of your system consumes more than the rest of mine, as you can see you're still way below the capabilities of your 520HX.
yeah, i just bit on this deal too. This will actually be my first ati card, hope I won't regret it.
You won't; the 5850 is an amazing card.
 
I don't think you will regret it at all. Cypress really is an amazing GPU although I wish you could have stretched your budget slightly to get yourself a 5870.

No matter as the 5850 is plenty fast plus with the mature drivers as of Catalyst 10.3a Preview, your card will provide a metric ton of performance. :D
 
at least you didn't get a visiontek one like I did....is this new building they're moving to on Mars or something?
 
I had a Q9300, 5850, 8GB RAM, 2 HDD, 4 fans, soundcard, an tv tuner on an HX620W and it never loaded above 210W at the wall. It was about 168W when using a dual core... I will say that you are more than safe.
 
The system in my sig with a an HD5870 @ 900/1250 pulled 250W from the wall during a typical gaming load (and never more than 270W). Even with a generous PSU efficiency of 85%, that's still only a ~210W load. That said, the 5850 consumes even less power (~40W less typically), so even if the rest of your system consumes more than the rest of mine, as you can see you're still way below the capabilities of your 520HX.
You won't; the 5850 is an amazing card.

Thank you. Exactly what I was looking for. I guess if I end up going quad core on my system, there should be plenty of room as well.
 
I just bought the 5850 to replace my 8800GT and I didn't need to replace my 600watt PSU and the thing runs fine on my end.
 
Back
Top