just OC'ed my 2400+

carblow12

Limp Gawd
I just oc'ed my 2400+ with a program called sfsb and i can only seem to get to a 2.1 ghz, everytime i try and get to a higher fbs my computer will lock up right then and there and i have to restart and it goes back to a normal 2.0ghz, i have the fsb set at 133, does anybody no why i can't go higher?

Have you tried overclocking using the BIOS instead of SoftFSB?

vcore is the voltage going to the cpu. to go higher you need to turn the vcore up to like 1.7 of 1.75

In the bios. Your bios has to allow you to change it.

I have a 2400 also and can go much higher than the speed I keep it at most times. The reason I do not keep it higher is that I really to not need the extra speed right now. I run at 2115 as that is faster than anything I need and runs very cool with the heatsink I have. I have had it as high as 2256 and still was staying under 50c under load and without any problems running any bench marks.

You might need to up your Vcore some. I can run at 2115 and as high as 2175 (15x145) before I have to change my Vcore. If I change it down to like 12 @180=2160 I am ok also (I have a early XP2400 that is not locked)

So anyway I would say bump up the Vcore some. Even if to only like 1.80 or so you will find that you can go a little higher.

Oh and remember to always go in very small steps and test things between every little step. Go up in .1 at a time in Vcore and test temps at each step to make sure your not getting to hot. I always run a few bench marks between every adjustment I do to make sure everything is ok.

If your bios does not support overclocking then your pci bus is not locked.

At 2.1 Ghz your fsb bus will be around 140 Mhz and pci 35 Mhz.
This is where the bus starts going to far out of spec and things like the hard drives etc will stop working.

I've got a pair of 2400+'s running at 2.346 Ghz in one of my duallie mobo's by upping the multi to 17, fsb to 138 & the vcore to 1.75.
But without altering the multi then 15 x 140 = 2.1 Ghz is the max the chips will do.

Luck.........:D

welll how can i change my multiplier b/c i know i have 15x multi if u can help me please tell me. and i don't see anything in bios.:confused:

I have a FIC Am37 motherboard, does anybody know how i can change my voltage and my multiplier?

Originally posted by merlin704
IF you have to ask that, perhaps you shouldn't be overclocking.
or at least read up on this stuff before you try overclocking. :eek:

by the way carblow12, ive been trying to look for a review of your board but didnt come up with anything. i would have been able to see some bios screenshots and guide you to the voltage adjustments. ill bet you dont have any anyways. usually matx or micro atx boards arent real good for overclocking.

you can always email fic or do whatever they have for customer support if nobody answers your question.

I just oc'ed my 2400+ to a 2.1 but it doesn't seem to go any higher, the fsb is set at 133 (33 mhz) isn't that i can't go higher b/c my ram is pc2100? well thnx

stop overclocking ur computer
ur gonna kill it
go read some more, acutally ALOT more, info about overclocking and then go back and try again

Originally posted by ST|FFY
stop overclocking ur computer
ur gonna kill it
go read some more, acutally ALOT more, info about overclocking and then go back and try again
lol. you should listen to him. maybe youll thank him later. ;)

maybe u should go listen to ur mom pricks, i know enough that i need to, my motherboard doesn't have overclocking capacbilties i was just wondering if there was a way i could do it w/o buying a new mobo:eek:

maybe u should go listen to ur mom pricks, i know enough that i need to, my motherboard doesn't have overclocking capacbilties i was just wondering if there was a way i could do it w/o buying a new mobo

Now now, don't be so testy!

I think the issue here boys and girls is that this guy has a major computer manufacturers mb. I assume it is a FIC OEM job where the "manufacturer" has put in a custom BIOS that has disabled about 100% of the stuff that could give their tech support team fits. I have seen boards from Dell and Gateway that have BIOS's that *maybe* will let you change HD's, turn the power savings stuff on or off and that's about it.

If you can actually identify what model FIC you have it might be possible to flash the BIOS with the standard FIC BIOS if your really hard up. Sometimes this will restore your mb to the factory standard...though sometimes you get nothing but a dead board for your trouble. Don't say I didn't warn you...

The best bet is to go spend $75 on a new mb and save yourself a lot of grief. You also might benefit from a serious study of OC techniques, terms, and risk/benefit stuff before you start playing around. OC often will let the magic smoke out of your box if you are unlucky or don't pay close attention to all the finicky stuff ;)

yo how did u get ur bus speed higher i have the same processor as u, im at 140 (33 mhz) how did u get ur to a 150 (xx mhz)? and i think imma get a nforce motherboard when i get the money but first imma get the ati radeon 9800 pro and one more stick a 512 do i have (2) 512 pc2100, and a new case. I used a program to up my bus speed, did u bios?

FINE, did u have to unlock your CPU? and i heard that some motherboard automatically unlock ur CPU is that tru?

FIC's momentary claim to fame was the VA-503 series of boards. First of all your FIC board sucks for OC in general. I also assume you do not have a manual for your mb, so go here http://www.fic.com.tw/support/motherboard/motherboard.aspx?model_id=107 and DL one.

Your AM37 mb (assuming it does not have an OEM bios) only allows you to set the FSB, via a mb jumper, to 100 or 133mhz. So you can only raise the clock speed to achieve an OC state. Unfortunately the AM37 only allows you to increase your clock speed by also raising the AGP and PCI frequencies in specific ratios. So as was pointed out earlier you will eventually get your AGP and PCI frequencies so out of whack that your sound and possibly your HD's will cease to function correctly.

The reason I can get a higher clock speed than you is because I have a more OC friendly board than you do in the form of an ASUS A7V-266 mb (you get what you pay for). BTW, you can probably pickup a used A7V-266 series mb for really cheap by inquiring on the "For Sale" part of the [H]ard Forum. However, I am willing to put up with some sound distortion at Windoze boot to get my clocks up ;)

I personally wouldn't waste any more $$ on trying to UG that class of board, though if you can get the memory used and cheap I guess it might be worth it. Just keep in mind that your PC-266 or PC-2100 memory is not going to work well, if at all, in a NForce 2 chipset based board.

You might also want to reconsider getting the 9800 Pro as you will either smoke it or your AM37 as I don't believe they are compatible (different bus voltages). :eek:

Back