Just need some diagnostic help here

Vaulter98c

[H]ard|DCer of the Month - October 2009
OK, so I'm building my rig here to fold and I can't seem to get into windows. I had windows running on this build when it was on an i3 but now I've switched to an i5 and its a no go, blue screens all around.

anyways, I've tried switching out all the ram, down to 2 sticks, one stick, another brand entirely that's laying around, swapped video cards, removed the video card all together, unplugged all the ODD's but one, and I'm still throwing blue screens like mad. I can stay in bios all day, adjust voltages, nothing works. as soon as I try to boot into the existing drive, blue screen, try to repair it, blue screen, try to re-install, as soon as it finishes loading the files blue screen.

Any ideas? It worked fine on my i3 I used to have in there for the build and cable route phase, but now it's just being a dick and pissing me off lol

Could the CPU be junk? if so I'd be pissed because I bought it here used a while ago then went on training for a while and never got to use it until now

and incase anyone cared, I've got the i3 wrapped up right now so I can't really just switch back willy nilly

So all you changed was the cpu? If so then I'd check the pins in the socket make sure none are bent, and then check the contacts on the CPU make sure there are no marks or scratches. Otherwise its a duff one.

did you :

a) Clear the BIOS fully?
b) Upgrade the bios, maybe the current one has an issue

NOTE* This is aside from checking for physical damage on the board/CPU

If you put the i3 back in and it runs, I am guessing you need a BIOS upgrade to handle the i5. I would also try clearing the CMOS before doing the swap.

bios was reset but I'll try the CMOS thing, got a date tonight tho so no go for this rig right now, I just want to get it up and running, then I can decide if I want to keep the 670 I got in it or if I dont game enough anymore to make it worth it

What i3, what i5 and what motherboard?

Also you're probably going to HAVE to unwrap the i3 and see if it will boot from that.

Hope you get it figured out Sarge.....

cause my mower blades are coming for you.......

Back