Just installed upgrade version of windows 7, how can an install disc.

V4oLDbOY

Gawd
I just finished reinstalling windows 7, what a pain since I have the upgrade version. I got a new HDD and had to install xp 64 bit then upgrade.

Its all fresh right now, so before I touch it is there a way to make an install disc? Or a recovery disc, I dont really know what its called actually.

edit: sorry about the thread title, deleted the wrong words.

Last edited:
You can do a fresh install with the upgrade disc.

yeah, but when I do that I cannot activate it since my cd key is for an upgrade only. What happens after that, does it just give me a 30 day limit or something, or can I just keep using windows?

It's a pain in the ass but I use the good old double install and just clean up real good after.

Go ahead and do a custom install. Try to activate. It might work but you'll probably get a message saying the key is for upgrade only.

If you do, boot the computer into your new Win 7 installation, insert the Win 7 install disk and run setup. This time select upgrade. It will "upgrade" your custom installation and when it is done, you will be able to activate.

Afterwards, just make sure to search around and delete anything to do with the original installation. Disk Cleanup actually seems to do a decent job of finding most of the leftovers so it is not all that hard.

I have 4 copies of Windows 7, three Pro and one HomePremium three install pack. They are all "upgrade" copies.

My computers had, two release candidate W7,one XP Media Center, and one Vista Home Premium.

On each HDD, I chose custom install, I then reformatted the HDD completely, and then installed W7.

All activated, all with only W7 left on the drive. If I'm not mistaken you can do this with a fresh new HDD.......first install the W7 upgrade, quit out, no activation, no update.
Now restart, custom,reformat, install the W7 upgrade and it will be good to go.

yeah, I guess the double install is what I'll have to do.

What is a recovery disc though, if I install all the drivers and programs I want will a recovery disc install windows at that state? In case things go bad with an install of windows. Dont I just go to secuirity in windows and make one?

I wonder if doing xp to 7 is faster than 7 to 7 though? xp installs in under 20 min.

7 install, to me, is pretty fast...not so slow that I would get up from my chair to go look for a copy of XP.

No matter what, it is the upgrade that will take the most time while it looks for previous settings, which in this case means nothing but still, it looks. :(

yeah, I guess the double install is what I'll have to do.

What is a recovery disc though, if I install all the drivers and programs I want will a recovery disc install windows at that state? In case things go bad with an install of windows. Dont I just go to secuirity in windows and make one?

I wonder if doing xp to 7 is faster than 7 to 7 though? xp installs in under 20 min.

7 to 7 would be faster..........I think it took me 15 minutes.

If you are concerned about "recovery" why not install W7 to a small partition, then load everything else on the larger partition?
What I generally do is load all my drivers and utilities on a Flash drive in a small file, then if I need to reformat I've got everything I need right there.:D

I have the upgrade version of Windows 7 Home Premium x64, but I did a full install with no problems. I chose custom install, used the product key, and it activated just fine.

You weren't trying to activate during the install, where you? No need to do so until you get the system up and running and are happy with it. Also, assuming you can do so with the Upgrade disc, turn it into a USB Flash drive install to cut down more of the time.

Back