Just installed Ubuntu... Doesn't show on boot menu?

This is my first time installing anything Linux related... Kind of confusing. I originally made a new 25 gig partition using the Win7 partition tool. Then I booted from the Ubuntu CD, set it up, and manually chose the new partition that I made in Win7, formatting it as Ext3.

Then it warns me about not choosing a swap space, but I looked everywhere and saw no option for making a swap space... WTF? So I just said f-it and continued without making the swap space. It installed fine, I restarted like it said, and my Windows boot menu pops up:

Windows 7
Windows Vista

No Ubuntu... What gives?

Appreciate any help! :)

edit - Does it have to do with the mount point? I chose "/".

if It was freebsd I'd research the proper windows-bsd install order.
(freebsd bootloader).
if someone answers GRUB you might prefer GAG (below) or even
BootIt (shareware ) which I mention in other posts
Here, I'd probably install the GAG dual-boot MGR to cdr (or...) and
investigate. Or research the question. (or someone else knows
that will answer soon).
/edit/ live cd? Freebsd "disc1" afaik has one; I tried 2 linux live-cds. You
can even browse for a while with some of the better ones (maybe).

Uggghhh I'm about to give up on Linux before even trying it. How do I get the standard Windows boot menu to go away and be replaced by the GRUB thing? This is ridiculous I just want to try Linux out. :(

I just installed Ubuntu 8.10 x64 on my hdd that previously housed Windows 7 beta. I didn't shrink the drive used by Windows 7 through Computer Management. I just booted up the Ubuntu CD and there was an option how to split the drive (via a slider - first option) via its included hard drive manager. It managed everything else automatically (swap file area, etc). Now when I boot off of that hard drive, GRUB will load up and ask me which to boot (Ubuntu or Win7).

So I guess if you can boot back to Windows 7, delete the partition you made and re-extend Windows 7 back and simply boot using the Ubuntu disk to use the guided install (that sets up all the spaces automatically - I was too lazy to figure out how to do it manually - only a recent user of Ubuntu Linux).

it sounds like you either skipped teh bootloader section or changed the default and didn't install the bootloader to the MBR...

Options? Personally I would just go and re-install you are at the beginning of the process so it is only a small loss of time
It was a good decision to pre-allocate the space make resizeing less of a risk
You don't really need a swap partition (if you have lots-o-ram) but at the partition stage there should be an option

yes be sure that grub is installed to the mbr of the first drive. Assuming you are using just the one lets say that -

(hd0,0) /dev/sda1 = Windows Vista
(hd0,1) /dev/sda2 = Win 7
(hd0,2) /dev/sda3 = Ubuntu

If you did forget to install grub, you could reinstall and make sure grub is installed to the mbr of the whole device (/dev/sda). It is also possible that you have installed grub to the ubuntu partition which would be a reason that for the Windows bootloader still intact.

If you dont want to reinstall what you should try to do is run the ubuntu live cd again and open up the terminal and reinstall grub

You should first specify where the /boot directory resides in relation to your root. Since you have just the one partition, this is easy.

in the terminal type "grub", then -

Code:
root (hd0,2)

setup (hd0)

That should do it, but I have not used the ubuntu live cd in ages so I am not really sure whats availible to you on the disk. Hope you get it working.

Back