Just installed new HSF and one core is hotter than the other

Ladyhawk

Limp Gawd
I just installed the AC Freezer 7 Pro (had some issues because I didn't understand the pin mechanism at first...duh :rolleyes:). With the stock cooler, both cores stayed about the same temperature, but idling, Core 0 is 2 degrees Celsius hotter than Core 1. I played a little TF2 in a window and Core 0 was up to 5 degrees C hotter than Core 1 under load.

Perhaps in my fight with the plastic securing pins some of the thermal compound rubbed off? I don't know. I suppose I could try re-installing the HSF, but not tonight. I think those stupid plastic pins won round 1. (Note to self: Simply push down the pins after setting them in the clockwise position. To release, turn pins 90 degrees counter-clockwise and pull. That is all.)

If a re-install doesn't help, what should I do?

It's not uncommon for one core to read hotter than another, but that doesn't necessarily mean there's a problem. Most programs will default to the first (0) core so it might just be processing more than your second core. Try running prime95, it'll stress both cores equally.

I would even say having the cores at different temps is more normal than having them the same. I've seen several posts where the temp was 5-7 degrees off.

What are the temps you are getting at idle and at load if you are in the normal range then the problem is most likely not the heatsink it's just normal core variance.

It's not uncommon for one core to read hotter than another, but that doesn't necessarily mean there's a problem. Most programs will default to the first (0) core so it might just be processing more than your second core. Try running prime95, it'll stress both cores equally.

I used the same program: Core Temp Version 0.96.1

What are the temps you are getting at idle and at load if you are in the normal range then the problem is most likely not the heatsink it's just normal core variance.

At idle: Core 0, 47 degrees Celsius; Core 1, 48 degrees Celsius
Playing TF2: Core 0, 51 degrees; Core 2, 46.

That isn't much of an increase in temerature. I should try playing Crysis.

ROTFLMAO...Apparently, I have a HSF plastic push pin learning disability. This morning the temperatures were even worse, so I opened up the chassis and the HSF was flopping around. I think it's right this time. (I hope it's right this time.)

Note to self (addendum): To SECURE the heat sink fan:

1. Push plastic pins into holes while in the clockwise position.
2. While pushing, rotate the pin to the left to extend black separator.
3. Still pushing, rotate to the right 90 degrees to lock black separator into position.

The instructions weren't very explicit. That's my only excuse.

ROTFLMAO...Apparently, I have a HSF plastic push pin learning disability. This morning the temperatures were even worse, so I opened up the chassis and the HSF was flopping around. I think it's right this time. (I hope it's right this time.)

Note to self (addendum): To SECURE the heat sink fan:

1. Push plastic pins into holes while in the clockwise position.
2. While pushing, rotate the pin to the left to extend black separator.
3. Still pushing, rotate to the right 90 degrees to lock black separator into position.

The instructions weren't very explicit. That's my only excuse.

Dont worry I have the same HSF and it was a bitch to put in.

And yeah the instructions suck.

On a side note my Core0 and Core1 runs about 2-5 degrees hotter then the other two as well

Back