Just installed my first high end Intel Proc

jordan12

[H]F Junkie
Joined
Dec 29, 2000
Messages
11,057
I went from the Single core 3.06 GHZ P4 to the E8400.


And it is one bad ass performance boost. I cant believe it...This really makes my Older AMD 6000+ look slow. I can feel a difference even from that one..

I may pay more for intel stuff, but it is worth it..Glad I swapped over..:D
 
Welcome to the dark side! My Q6600 was my first Intel chip since my Pentium Pro that I bought 12 years ago. Performance > Brand Loyalty!!!
 
Now overclock that cpu.
It's a sin running an E8400 at stock speed.:D
 
Now some overclocking with it.
It's a sin running an E8400 at stock speed.:D

And overclocking I know nothing about...When I want to go faster, I tend to simply buy a faster chip. :(

I just cant seem to grasp the idea of how to OC...I know, I suck. :D
 
Clocking is almost painless nowadays. You just have to do a little reading on BIOS settings, and having a good cooler will allow you to take it farther also. It also does take some time and patience to do things in the right order. Only make 1 change at a time.

I have a Q6600 that is stock at 2400 MHZ with a Front Side Bus of 266 MHZ. The multiplyer of my Q6600 is 9. (266 X 9 = 2400) I simply moved the operating frequency up by 100 MHZ increments until it would not run a program called Prime 95 anymore. I think I got up to around 3000 MHZ. I then gradually increased the Vcore voltage and then the frequency of the chip until my temps were getting into the low 70's. I finally made it till 3400 MHZ where it would run Prime95 for 24 hours straight at 1.475 volts.

I then backed the Vcore voltage back to 1.4 V and the speed of the chip back to 3200 so I would have some temp headroom when things warm up in the spring.

I get 4 free 800 mhz CPU's on top of the 4 2400 mhz ones I bought.

Easy.:D

Don
 
I hear you man. I went from an Athlon 2600+ to an Intel Q6600. The difference was as big as the original Xbox. HUEG
 
i also just bought an intel recently.

I went into college with a new P4 , and now im leaving with a new Quad.

in between those years it was mostly AMD.
 
I came to the dark side about 3 weeks ago and have been very happy here
 
I'm still stuck with Pentium D 950, It's getting slower. I'll upgrade when nehalem come but maybe sooner. lol
 
I was using a Pentium 4 2.2ghz for years...so happy to finally be done with that piece of crap...love the quad core now...
 
Well, good too see me in good company.

I am excited myself...I figured that with me going from a dual core 3 GHZ AMD to the E8400 3 GHZ, I wouldnt see a difference. But I can. And there is..

I should have rolled to Intel a long time ago. :D
 
And overclocking I know nothing about...When I want to go faster, I tend to simply buy a faster chip. :(

I just cant seem to grasp the idea of how to OC...I know, I suck. :D

You've been here for 7.2 yrs. Earned hardness supreme. And turn around to tell us you havent learned how to oc yet? What a great disservice and injustice we, this community, have done to you!

Feel free to ask questions and to become enlightened by the community members. The first step is admitting you have a problem, the next step is getting help ;)
 
You've been here for 7.2 yrs. Earned hardness supreme. And turn around to tell us you havent learned how to oc yet? What a great disservice and injustice we, this community, have done to you!

Feel free to ask questions and to become enlightened by the community members. The first step is admitting you have a problem, the next step is getting help ;)


I try to freak people out once in awhile..

I just never seemed to be inclined to OC..I will OC my video card though. If that counts at all..

:D
 
I went from the Single core 3.06 GHZ P4 to the E8400.


And it is one bad ass performance boost.
Shit, going from my 3.06p4 to an e6300 (1.86) core 2, was blazing fast. You probably tippled or quadrupled your cpu power.
 
Shit, going from my 3.06p4 to an e6300 (1.86) core 2, was blazing fast. You probably tippled or quadrupled your cpu power.

So when I went from my P4 2.26ghz Northwood, with 512 rambus, to a Q6600... It is a nice boost :eek:
 
I have a Q6600 that is stock at 2400 MHZ with a Front Side Bus of 266 MHZ. The multiplyer of my Q6600 is 9. (266 X 9 = 2400) I simply moved the operating frequency up by 100 MHZ increments until it would not run a program called Prime 95 anymore. I think I got up to around 3000 MHZ. I then gradually increased the Vcore voltage and then the frequency of the chip until my temps were getting into the low 70's. I finally made it till 3400 MHZ where it would run Prime95 for 24 hours straight at 1.475 volts.

I then backed the Vcore voltage back to 1.4 V and the speed of the chip back to 3200 so I would have some temp headroom when things warm up in the spring.

Don

I OC moderately, with only 20% boost. My Q6600 is running at 320 Mhz, ie: 2.88 GHz.

What I did was to make sure this speed is stable in Prime95 in default CPU voltage, then lower the CPU voltage in the BIOS. Actually, I cheated a bit, I read that someone was running this CPU and this speed stable at 1.2125V so I set mine a bit higher to 1.2250V. Of course, I ran Prime95 to make sure it's stable and monitored the temps.

Another thing I did was to set the PCIE frequency to 100 MHz.
 
I too went to the dark side a couple of months ago from a x2 @ 2.8GHz to an E8400 @ 4GHz.
For general windows use I hardly noticed a difference but things like compiling blocklists, unzipping are tons faster.
Gaming is another dimension, the old Athlon x2 couldnt drive my 8800GT very hard, it made overclocking the card pointless.
The E8400 is a brilliant match for the GT, perhaps a bit of overkill even!
 
Back
Top