Just installed A Fan Controller...

h41cyon

Weaksauce
So I just installed one of these bad boys :

rheobusblackfull6jp.jpg

A sunbeam rheostat fan controller.

I went through and hooked all of the fans in my system up to it and let er rip..

Result: Not quiet enough. Apparantly my power supply doubles as a vacuum cleaner.

So I did some dirty work and hooked the fan inside the power supply up to the rheostat.

Result: OMG ITS SOO QUIET... but now im scared. I can monitor the temperature of my cpu/hd/vga/mobo and determine if im letting the fans drop too low, but I have no sensor in the power supply.

What then, would happen if I let the power supply get a little too hot?

Its a relatively new 300W power supply that if damaged wouldn't really break my heart too much.

Um, it could burn up possibly taking parts of your PC with it. You might consider investing in an Antec Phantom PSU, it's expensive but it's quiet as hell...

By the way, linking to someone else's pic's is against the rules, you might want to host your own copy and avoid getting in trouble...

madmat said:
Um, it could burn up possibly taking parts of your PC with it. You might consider investing in an Antec Phantom PSU, it's expensive but it's quiet as hell...

I think some of the price might be derived from the asthetics of that thing. I don't care about apearance or lights.

Can someone reccomend anything a little less expensive?

Actually I think a lot of the cost comes from the build of it, it does have a cast aluminum case that acts as a heatsink for the PSU. It features one fan on the 500W model that only kicks on under extreme load.

i got my Antec Neo 480W for just under 100 buck a couple months ago and its very quiet. not in the HTPC realm or anything but its got super stable rails and modular cables. try to get somthing with a single 120mm fan like the Neo that should help with the noise. another even cheaper alternative is an FSP with the fan control knob on the rear. i have one installed in the wifes machine. its a 400W and i think its going for about $55 now.

My OCZ Modstream has a 120mm Fan in it and I have to say my NF4 fan makes more nose!
It's not the most hushy PSU but I love it!

I just received my Antec Phantom 350 yesterday. I'll let you know how it goes...

For quiet reliability get a Seasonic s-12 500 or 600. I can't hear mine right now even.

Back