Just how powerful is a Dell reinstallation disc?

alexyang

Limp Gawd
I think the best thing I could do for my computer is a reformat.

Unfortunately, I don't have a full version of Windows. I only have the reinstallation disc that my computer came with, which is Windows Me, as well as a 2000 Pro upgrade disc. My computer is currently running 2000 Pro.

Is it possible for me to reformat my hard drive and still use the reinstallation disc from startup to install Windows again? If this is possible and successful, I would then upgrade to 2000 Pro.

Thanks in advance.

Yeah, you can do that just fine. The upgrade has a full version of windows 2000 on it, just locked so you can't install it without a previous version of windows. It won't have all the drivers on it though, so make sure to download and burn them first if at all possible.

it will work.. i had a computer that wouldn't boot from the cd.. so i installed win98 on it and then upgraded to 2000 pro.. it worked fine.. just make srue to overwrite that ME crap.. no dual boot.

Thanks for sharing your experiences, but just for clarification...

...the Reinstallation disc will work on an empty, re-formatted hard drive?

Sorry, it goes like this
1. Install windows ME, full blown install
2. Boot into windows ME
3. Insert windows 2000 upgrade disk
4. Follow instructions and OVERWRITE windows ME
5. enjoy windows 2000 goodness.

So, do I need a true full install version?

That is, a reinstallation disc won't work under DOS?

alexyang said:
... Unfortunately, I don't have a full version of Windows. I only have the reinstallation disc that my computer came with, which is Windows Me, as well as a 2000 Pro upgrade disc. My computer is currently running 2000 Pro. ...

I took this to mean that you have the following discs:
1. Full installtion disc for windows ME - (you can install from reformat on this)
2. upgrade disc for windows 2000 (this you use to 'upgrade' windows ME to win2k)

Yes you can format the drive the use the Dell disk to reinstall. Then you can use the windows 2000 disk to upgrade.

It is truely power.

For it is of the dark side of the force, and can channel its power to such a degree to rival even the great Skywalker Liniage.

Woe I say, for the darkness shall consume you, it shall devour your very soul and turn you into a numb minded pawn of the insidious SITH

*Starwars Music plays in the bckground...Dun Dun Dun Dun Dundun Dun Dundun...*

Try the Win2kPro upgrade disc first.

During set up if It cannot find a previous OS it will ask you to insert an installtion CD from a previous Windows version to check. After that pop the Win2k cd back in and it should be fine.

This works for volume liscense cds, hopefully that will save you a step of installing ME.

Back