Just How Brave are You?

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
This guy has a great way to keep the Big Brothers from tracking you on the Internet. His solution is to simply flood your Net usage with so much junk that it sullies the body of data collected. However, I am not suggesting you actually do this. However, should you wish to show us just how brave you are, let me see you go for broke with this on your primary box...and not in a sandbox. Fight the power, brothers!

On March 28th, 2017 congress passed a law that makes it legal for your Internet Service Providers (ISP) to track and sell your personal activity online. This means that things you search for, buy, read, and say can be collected by corporations and used against you.

Click this button, and your browser will start passively loading random sites in browser tabs. Leave it running to fill their databases with noise. Just quit your browser when you're done.

I've wondered if a device that could cycle your routers IP address every hour or so (you could use a timer switch but then delays etc.) might help in that it would cause headaches trying to log data to 24 IP's a day.

A ploy to get volunteers to DOS a series of websites?
Or what sites does this thing drudge up? Will it get users flagged for illegal material?

I've wondered if a device that could cycle your routers IP address every hour or so (you could use a timer switch but then delays etc.) might help in that it would cause headaches trying to log data to 24 IP's a day.
If you're so inclined you can do this with a router using Tor. Easiest way to get it set up is to use Pfsense, torify the connection then set up a cron to cycle the nodes every hour. It will significantly reduce the speed you get from your WAN but it's a good airbag to use in addition to other opsec methods.

Just learned of HTTPS Everywhere and Privacy Badger through their website. I'll see how they go. I do want a VPN though. Use to have PIA and loved them, rarely had issues (and my ISP at the time was VERY strict...so PIA certainly works).

Sucks stuff like this happens. It's one of those things that feels slimey and fucked up because you KNOW this only a money thing. Like, what the fuck is the government doing ALLOWING ISP's to fucking track and store and sell all your information? Who the fuck are they? Makes no sense other than pure corruption and greed.

And some people want smaller government. We have Big Government now that's out in the open about this shit...could you imagine what stuff would be like on the more local scale if that's where the major corruption and greed started? Probably be a lot cheaper too...

I've been doing something similar to this for years. Although it was done semi manually, my web history looks like an overclocked search bot on crystal meth.

Good luck mining that shit.

Looks like this will make it a little easier, Thanks Kyle!!!

I'm thinking this could be a problem. Chances are your IP is a leased DHCP address. There are only so many available in a given pool and usually you get the same one over and over until one day circumstances change and it's a different one. Now if you were to try and for change at a greater rate, the lease time could become a problem as the DHCP server may not release a the old IP for reuse fast enough. You would eat through their available IPs faster then they get released and eventually you and others wouldn't be able to get an IP at all. Then your ISP is going to track down the problem, probably get really pissed off at you, and you'll be looking for a new ISP.

Just learned of HTTPS Everywhere and Privacy Badger through their website. I'll see how they go. I do want a VPN though. Use to have PIA and loved them, rarely had issues (and my ISP at the time was VERY strict...so PIA certainly works).

Been using both of those for years as well as Disconnect etc. Unfortunately I'm finding more and more sites are just such a pain to use with them that I'm having to whitelist most sites to just use the web. They all work great at first but then methods to just screw with them occur.

A ploy to get volunteers to DOS a series of websites?
Or what sites does this thing drudge up? Will it get users flagged for illegal material?

I didn't see this initially but I think you are correct. It's one thing when one guy does this but it becomes something else when you turn on 500 thousand people hitting a "random" collection of URLs.

Probably play hell with some DNS servers too.

Come to think of it, if I got to create that list, I'd make sure all those "fake clicks" pay me. you know.

I think the entire thing is a little ignorant.

This guy acts like he is worried that someone is compiling a dossier of all his online activity. Now maybe someone is, but if I tried to do this for everyone acrossed the world who is using the internet, I'd go broke before I figured out if any particular dossiers were worth something to me.

So I click on a site and look at a TV, then I go to other sites and the TV is listed and on sale somewhere. It's not because someone captured all my info and built a custom list just for me. It's just that I clicked a retail link and it's a known site and they just flip whatever I'm looking at buying right back at me. What I am saying is, it's not personal, it's just business.

Now I don't like it either, it feels creepy, but if I use an app to click more random sites I'm going to get more shit thrown my way. I just won't recognize it now because much of it is from the bullshit sites from the app.

As for some Intelligence Service actually doing the Big Brother thing on you and collecting your info and building that dossier I just dissed. If that is happening, you have bigger problems then your tracking data being out of that bag.

Last edited:
I'm thinking this could be a problem. Chances are your IP is a leased DHCP address. There are only so many available in a given pool and usually you get the same one over and over until one day circumstances change and it's a different one. Now if you were to try and for change at a greater rate, the lease time could become a problem as the DHCP server may not release a the old IP for reuse fast enough. You would eat through their available IPs faster then they get released and eventually you and others wouldn't be able to get an IP at all. Then your ISP is going to track down the problem, probably get really pissed off at you, and you'll be looking for a new ISP.

Well then maybe just every 6 hours...;)

Still adds more complication for someone.

I did do a test on this a couple of years back where I cycled my router every hour for about 8 hours and I got a different IP address every time. I'm with a big ISP so maybe not too much of an issue. I guess if you were with some small ISP it could be an issue.

I guess going forward the powers that be could issue all routers with a firmware locked IP6 address that will be logged to a registered address. Shivers.

............ Like, what the fuck is the government doing ALLOWING ISP's to fucking track and store and sell all your information? Who the fuck are they? Makes no sense other than pure corruption and greed.................

Wait a sec. So an advertising company or just a big sales outlet, they buy your data so they know what things you might be looking to buy. And this same company pays other websites for space on their pages, and when you go to these sites, the things you have been looking to buy magically show up in order to try and lure you into making a buy. And this is corruption and greed at the government level because they allow .... business?

I have a question for you. If the Federal Government outlawed everything about this, how many jobs would it kill off? How many people are writing code to do all this stuff? How many servers are running to support it? How much of the world's data centers are running to make this all happen?

This is part of the business world today. You know advertising used to be billboards on the highway, commercials on radio and TV, adds in magazines and newspapers, and a few other pretty low tech approaches. You just can't get enough company logos on a NASCAR paint job these days. Advertising has always been expensive but it has only gotten more expensive as our populations have attained more income and an obsessive need to buy. Add to that our population growth and now we have more and more people all buying more and more stuff.

Who remembers when a home phone cost 25$, you only needed one or two in the house, and they lasted like 20 years?

There are some people, I could tell more about them from looking over their car then I could get from their browser history.

Your license plates gives me your name, address, and all information available from registration and insurance. Insurance likely gives me credit card info and all the info from your insurance questionnaire. Do you bundle your car and home insurance? Where you honest with your estimate of your net worth and annual income?

What about stickers and decals on your car? Did you support any political candidates, did Obama Suck? Did you give money to the cops and get one of their little stickers?
Do you have a DoD base access sticker on your windshield?
A sticker with the date of your last oil change and who did it?
Who sold you your car?
Is your child and honor student at which school?
Are any of them under 2 years old and use a car seat?
Do you ride bicycles or play golf?

I'm not even an expert on this but I think you get the point.

Now we are talking about ISPs that sell your info on which sites you frequent. Remember, I do think it feels creepy as well.

But what about those sites you go to. Do they know who you are when you hit their site? If you create an account with Papa John's Pizza, do they know who all the people are that buy Pizza from their site? Do they sell that data as well? Maybe it's in their ToS.

I think that maybe some politicians see this thing as a privacy issue, but not many. I think more see it as an issue they can use with their voters and I think more still don't see it as anything more then that. I think they see it as business, and jobs, and money moving, and money moving is money making money.

What I don't see is a big neon sign screaming CORRUPTION and GREED lives?

Is the sky blue?

Do fish swim?

I think it is what it is, but I don't see evil intent, not any more than normal at least.

Well then maybe just every 6 hours...;)

Still adds more complication for someone.

I did do a test on this a couple of years back where I cycled my router every hour for about 8 hours and I got a different IP address every time. I'm with a big ISP so maybe not too much of an issue. I guess if you were with some small ISP it could be an issue.

I guess going forward the powers that be could issue all routers with a firmware locked IP6 address that will be logged to a registered address. Shivers.

How so?

OK, I buy your data from your ISP. You are a normal user last month and most of your data is relevant to your interests. I have twelve companies that market products in the ranges or types that you looked at. And you visit 7 websites that I have purchased space on so you are going to get several of these products "targeted" at you when you go to them. Let's say you hit them 200 times last month and I get a penny a hit per product viewed and if you click a link I get a nickle. You clicked on one product twice so I made $2.10 this month off your info.

Now you start using this app and you change your IP and cycle your router, and your ISP still knows who you are every single time because you are essentially on their network. Next month nothing at all is different or more complicated. And if you are using this app from the article and sending even more urls, well I'll still get paid, I'll make even more money, and there isn't a damned thing more complicated or difficult for anyone.

Just be happy you don't live in a country like South Korea where almost every website requires a user account and you have to use your social security number for the account. (South Korea, not North). This sort of thing is far more common in the world then not.

You know, come to think of it. If I were paying for user account internet activity, I'd try and classify how active the account is.

Let's say tier one accounts are less than 25 unique urls, tier two is 26 to 50, and tier three is 50+ unique urls visited. I'm only going to want to buy tier three urls for my advertising company, I want bang for my buck. So I'm thinking an app like this is going to guarantee that almost everyone wants to buy my info and I don't think those tier one accounts are going to be in such high demand.

Now you start using this app and you change your IP and cycle your router, and your ISP still knows who you are every single time because you are essentially on their network. Next month nothing at all is different or more complicated. And if you are using this app from the article and sending even more urls, well I'll still get paid, I'll make even more money, and there isn't a damned thing more complicated or difficult for anyone.

It helps improve the USER'S privacy a bit, because now you, as the marketer, don't have as accurate a picture of what that particular user shops for. Now there's dozen of "noise" URLS for every real URL the user visited.

So in the long run, maybe you get paid less for that targeted advertising, since it's eventually going to be less accurate. Of course, that assumes everyone starts using the service.

"This means that things you search for, buy, read, and say can be collected by corporations and used against you."

I was under the impression that TLS prevented interception and man-in-the-middle attacks by ISPs or other parties, perhaps I was wrong?

Went straight to VM to test this out. Wow it goes to some random stuff.
It just searched for "sagittarius seeder chauffeur guest"

Great. Now all the search engine suggestions will be irrelevant and messed up. Next time I search for Sagittarius, it will suggest seeder chauffeur guest. >_<;

Out of principle, I object to collecting data without alerting the user that you are doing so and sharing the collected data with 3rd parties. However, if they are already collecting the data, why would you want to mess it up and get ads that are more irrelevant and less suited to your interests instead of the other way around?

It helps improve the USER'S privacy a bit, because now you, as the marketer, don't have as accurate a picture of what that particular user shops for. Now there's dozen of "noise" URLS for every real URL the user visited.

So in the long run, maybe you get paid less for that targeted advertising, since it's eventually going to be less accurate. Of course, that assumes everyone starts using the service.

I think you aren't understanding what I am saying so I'll try a different angle.

Accuracy doesn't matter, who's IP it is doesn't matter, how many urls or if they are real or faked, doesn't matter.

All that matters, is that I can target you, (and I can no matter how often you change your IP, it's the same user account), and that I can direct advertising to the accounts based on what they have been looking at. And of course, that I get paid for it.

The only thing that clicking on extraneous web sites does, is give me more to get paid for. Which generates increased revenue, financial success, and a guarantee that I am going to keep doing what I am doing.

You are failing to understand that from their point of view, it's not about you, and they don't even care who you are.

Is this helping you see the other side of the coin?

"This means that things you search for, buy, read, and say can be collected by corporations and used against you."

I was under the impression that TLS prevented interception and man-in-the-middle attacks by ISPs or other parties, perhaps I was wrong?

Yep, you are wrong, partly.

TLS does provide a secure encrypted connection between you and your ISP but that's as far as it goes. If the website you are going to supports TLS, then the connection between your ISP and that website is encrypted as well. But what goes on between the point where your connection hits the ISP, and from where the ISP connects to the distant end, can be many things and none of them will make your connection secure to the ISP who sits in the middle.

Only the additional use of a VPN, a tunnel, would do that.

Great. Now all the search engine suggestions will be irrelevant and messed up. Next time I search for Sagittarius, it will suggest seeder chauffeur guest. >_<;

Out of principle, I object to collecting data without alerting the user that you are doing so and sharing the collected data with 3rd parties. However, if they are already collecting the data, why would you want to mess it up and get ads that are more irrelevant and less suited to your interests instead of the other way around?

That's right.

The tin foil hat cuts both ways.

I think you aren't understanding what I am saying so I'll try a different angle.

Accuracy doesn't matter, who's IP it is doesn't matter, how many urls or if they are real or faked, doesn't matter.

All that matters, is that I can target you, (and I can no matter how often you change your IP, it's the same user account), and that I can direct advertising to the accounts based on what they have been looking at. And of course, that I get paid for it.

The only thing that clicking on extraneous web sites does, is give me more to get paid for. Which generates increased revenue, financial success, and a guarantee that I am going to keep doing what I am doing.

You are failing to understand that from their point of view, it's not about you, and they don't even care who you are.

Is this helping you see the other side of the coin?

I get your point, and I do agree with what you're saying. They don't care about YOU, they care about your wallet. I'm just saying it helps obsufcate the user's ACTUAL interests (thus increasing their privacy). For example, you're searching for a blue jacket. You check a lot of sites looking for blue jackets. The next day, you get nothing but targeted ads for blue jackets. The advertisers know you want a blue jacket. Now imagine this service is also seaching for red jackets, yellow shoes and green umbrellas in the background the whole time. The advertisers can't be sure WHICH thing you really want. So the targeted ad you see next time may be for a yellow pair of shoes. That little bit of privacy has been protected, since they can't really be sure what you like or what you want.

IF someone was digging deep and really looking to target you personally, that might be useful. Will the marketing people care? Maybe. They will only care if over time their sales drop, and they can pin that drop down to less-effective targeted marketing.

I get your point, and I do agree with what you're saying. They don't care about YOU, they care about your wallet. I'm just saying it helps obsufcate the user's ACTUAL interests (thus increasing their privacy). For example, you're searching for a blue jacket. You check a lot of sites looking for blue jackets. The next day, you get nothing but targeted ads for blue jackets. The advertisers know you want a blue jacket. Now imagine this service is also seaching for red jackets, yellow shoes and green umbrellas in the background the whole time. The advertisers can't be sure WHICH thing you really want. So the targeted ad you see next time may be for a yellow pair of shoes. That little bit of privacy has been protected, since they can't really be sure what you like or what you want.

IF someone was digging deep and really looking to target you personally, that might be useful. Will the marketing people care? Maybe. They will only care if over time their sales drop, and they can pin that drop down to less-effective targeted marketing.

Then no, you don't get it.

It's a mechanism, they are not trying to "figure you out". Take "You" completely out of this. A monkey, or an app, can click on a site for you and pick whatever looks interesting. If it's an item that is for sale somewhere, they will flip it right back around and show it to you again at other web sites you visit.

No law has actually been in force preventing this right? Not unless some state has passed something that they are hoping they can enforce.

When was the last time that you went to a website and the advertisement boxes showed you other things that "you are interested in", and not an exact item you had selected before? And if you did, are you sure it wasn't that "other item that is similar to what you were looking at" thing.

I mean, if you have been kicking around the idea of buying a new monitor then you saw the monitors that you had been looking at, or similar ones that would fall in the same category. But if that monitor was a gaming monitor then were you also bombarded with gaming mice, video cards, mechanical keyboards, etc?

More to say, but gota go.

Wait a sec. So an advertising company or just a big sales outlet, they buy your data so they know what things you might be looking to buy. And this same company pays other websites for space on their pages, and when you go to these sites, the things you have been looking to buy magically show up in order to try and lure you into making a buy. And this is corruption and greed at the government level because they allow .... business?

I have a question for you. If the Federal Government outlawed everything about this, how many jobs would it kill off? How many people are writing code to do all this stuff? How many servers are running to support it? How much of the world's data centers are running to make this all happen?

This is part of the business world today. You know advertising used to be billboards on the highway, commercials on radio and TV, adds in magazines and newspapers, and a few other pretty low tech approaches. You just can't get enough company logos on a NASCAR paint job these days. Advertising has always been expensive but it has only gotten more expensive as our populations have attained more income and an obsessive need to buy. Add to that our population growth and now we have more and more people all buying more and more stuff.

Who remembers when a home phone cost 25$, you only needed one or two in the house, and they lasted like 20 years?

There are some people, I could tell more about them from looking over their car then I could get from their browser history.

Your license plates gives me your name, address, and all information available from registration and insurance. Insurance likely gives me credit card info and all the info from your insurance questionnaire. Do you bundle your car and home insurance? Where you honest with your estimate of your net worth and annual income?

What about stickers and decals on your car? Did you support any political candidates, did Obama Suck? Did you give money to the cops and get one of their little stickers?
Do you have a DoD base access sticker on your windshield?
A sticker with the date of your last oil change and who did it?
Who sold you your car?
Is your child and honor student at which school?
Are any of them under 2 years old and use a car seat?
Do you ride bicycles or play golf?

I'm not even an expert on this but I think you get the point.

Now we are talking about ISPs that sell your info on which sites you frequent. Remember, I do think it feels creepy as well.

But what about those sites you go to. Do they know who you are when you hit their site? If you create an account with Papa John's Pizza, do they know who all the people are that buy Pizza from their site? Do they sell that data as well? Maybe it's in their ToS.

I think that maybe some politicians see this thing as a privacy issue, but not many. I think more see it as an issue they can use with their voters and I think more still don't see it as anything more then that. I think they see it as business, and jobs, and money moving, and money moving is money making money.

What I don't see is a big neon sign screaming CORRUPTION and GREED lives?

Is the sky blue?

Do fish swim?

I think it is what it is, but I don't see evil intent, not any more than normal at least.

This sounds like a whole lot of "not my problem".

You think I personally give a fuck about some programmers or data center administrators job or more jobs like this on the market?

I understand full and we'll why what's happening is happening. Doesn't mean it's OK or it should be allowed.

Then no, you don't get it.

It's a mechanism, they are not trying to "figure you out". Take "You" completely out of this. A monkey, or an app, can click on a site for you and pick whatever looks interesting. If it's an item that is for sale somewhere, they will flip it right back around and show it to you again at other web sites you visit.

No law has actually been in force preventing this right? Not unless some state has passed something that they are hoping they can enforce.

When was the last time that you went to a website and the advertisement boxes showed you other things that "you are interested in", and not an exact item you had selected before? And if you did, are you sure it wasn't that "other item that is similar to what you were looking at" thing.

I mean, if you have been kicking around the idea of buying a new monitor then you saw the monitors that you had been looking at, or similar ones that would fall in the same category. But if that monitor was a gaming monitor then were you also bombarded with gaming mice, video cards, mechanical keyboards, etc?

More to say, but gota go.

I'm arguing from the point of the "privacy concerned" citizen. Some people get downright paranoid when they search for that blue jacket, then next time they're on some other webpage, they see an ad for that blue jacket. I know how the system works on the back-end, but not everyone else does. Some people are convinced the ISP or someone is building a profile of them personally. And honestly, it IS possible to build such a profile if you had a bit of access (like your friendly ISP for example).

Now, marketing guys are going to use that profile to just try and sell you more stuff you don't really need. If they can start selling those profiles to others though, like the FCC seems to want to allow, then it's a different level of problem.

I'm arguing from the point of the "privacy concerned" citizen. Some people get downright paranoid when they search for that blue jacket, then next time they're on some other webpage, they see an ad for that blue jacket. I know how the system works on the back-end, but not everyone else does. Some people are convinced the ISP or someone is building a profile of them personally. And honestly, it IS possible to build such a profile if you had a bit of access (like your friendly ISP for example).

Now, marketing guys are going to use that profile to just try and sell you more stuff you don't really need. If they can start selling those profiles to others though, like the FCC seems to want to allow, then it's a different level of problem.

OK, I get you. And I get that you have an appreciation of my point so I'll lay off that flee-ridden corpse of a pony.

As was said earlier, I'm not sure which is worse, an ignorant system that just regurgitates what I am doing, or one that makes use of my history and accurately and effectively helping me. I mean I wish I had known that Citizen makes a better watch with the features I wanted then Casio does.

I can't tell you how many times I have gone to NewEgg, to research a problem someone is happening with a motherboard or video card, then gone to a website and seen that same equipment advertised as on sale somewhere, frequently NewEgg itself. I want to scream at them that I don't only go to their website to shop for myself, but in the end I just laugh at how useless their approach is and I do realize it's mostly harmless so let them twist. If they get better at it they might actually become useful.

Amazing how much technology changes things, isn't it? Imagine 40 years ago if the meat processing industries got together and decided they were entitled to know all the details about what you eat for dinner and you had no choice but to comply. Even something seemingly benign as that would have caused an uproar of epic proportions. Now the same information just gets vacuumed up any way. It's just a matter of who gets to play with it and for what reason. The debate about privacy is over in all but name. They'll just frog boil everyone in the long run.

edit: Grocery Stores might be a better analog than meat processing, but the song remains the same.

Last edited:
Reactions: HoffY
like this
This sounds like a whole lot of "not my problem".

You think I personally give a fuck about some programmers or data center administrators job or more jobs like this on the market?

I understand full and we'll why what's happening is happening. Doesn't mean it's OK or it should be allowed.

No I don't think you care. But a politician does, at least he cares as far is it effects his reelection chances. People loosing jobs is bad for one's political career. I was never talking about you, I was talking about how things are.

Business is business, it's money moving and people with jobs move more money then people without jobs. People who shop move more money then those who don't. Just browsing for shit online makes people money and supports jobs. This entire article is testament to it.

So you say it shouldn't be allowed. Why the fuck not?

You contract with a company for internet service so you can do things over the internet. Why should what you do on the internet be private? How private? Like government Top Secret private, or HIPPA private?

If your ISP bundles up your browsing history with no identifying information attached and sells it, have you been violated if no one but your ISP knows who's info is yours? If only your ISP can connect that data to you personally, is the data so private that your ISP can't sell it and others can't make use of it?

I already pointed out that their is far better personal information available just by looking at your car and I don't have to pay anybody to let me look at it.

Now I am asking you these things for the sake of argument. I am just wanting you to dig a little and tell me why this information is so private and why you think your ISP has no right to sell it.

................................... Imagine 40 years ago if the meat processing industries got together and decided they were entitled to know all the details about what you eat for dinner and you had no choice but to comply. Even something seemingly benign as that would have caused an uproar of epic proportions. .............................

What makes you say this?

I was only 17 40 years ago, but still, I can't say this would be true. It was just 36 years ago that my Social Security number was posted on bulletin boards for whoever to read, it was just that back then no one thought there was a good reason to protect them. I mean it, I was in the Army back then and all those duty rosters, who had KP, or CQ, or Guard Duty, there were lists posted on exterior bulletin boards with our rank, name, and social security numbers all nice and neat and in plain view. In most cases a person could have just taken the paper right off the wall. Lists with 40 or 50 names at a time all neat and pretty because you can't just say Private Smith, there are a lot of Private Smiths.

No one went crazy over such things 40 years ago. No one went crazy over what Ma Bell or Sears and Roebuck did with our names and what we bought. No one got their feathers ruffled because every single person in town had their name, phone number, and home address in a big yellow book called a phone book. I could just pick a name at random and I knew where they lived and what their phone number was.

So I am not so sure that an epic uproar would be the outcome.

The IP# would still be the modem. Cycling the modem probably won't get you a new IP# until your DHCP lease from the ISP is up.

What makes you say this?

I was only 17 40 years ago, but still, I can't say this would be true. It was just 36 years ago that my Social Security number was posted on bulletin boards for whoever to read, it was just that back then no one thought there was a good reason to protect them. I mean it, I was in the Army back then and all those duty rosters, who had KP, or CQ, or Guard Duty, there were lists posted on exterior bulletin boards with our rank, name, and social security numbers all nice and neat and in plain view. In most cases a person could have just taken the paper right off the wall. Lists with 40 or 50 names at a time all neat and pretty because you can't just say Private Smith, there are a lot of Private Smiths.

No one went crazy over such things 40 years ago. No one went crazy over what Ma Bell or Sears and Roebuck did with our names and what we bought. No one got their feathers ruffled because every single person in town had their name, phone number, and home address in a big yellow book called a phone book. I could just pick a name at random and I knew where they lived and what their phone number was.

So I am not so sure that an epic uproar would be the outcome.

Meh, your perspective. Military is another ball game. You signed up to allow Uncle Sam to crawl up your ass in detail. Civilian life is colored with contention regarding privacy and the role of government. People in America fought over privacy before the information age. Just a little refresher:

Olmstead v. United States, 1928
Katz v. United States, 1967
United States v. New York Telephone Company, 1977
Smith v. Maryland, 1979
Arizona v. Hicks, 1987

City of Ontario v. Quon, 2010
United States v. Jones, 2012
Riley v. California & United States v. Wurie, 2014

So what if this is just a ploy to get people to fake click on ads on sites that the person who is suggesting this owns in order to generate them more ad revenue?

The IP# would still be the modem. Cycling the modem probably won't get you a new IP# until your DHCP lease from the ISP is up.

You are assuming I run on cable? I don't, I use VDSL and the ISP given IP address changes every reboot.

Meh, your perspective. Military is another ball game. You signed up to allow Uncle Sam to crawl up your ass in detail. Civilian life is colored with contention regarding privacy and the role of government. People in America fought over privacy before the information age. Just a little refresher:

Olmstead v. United States, 1928
Katz v. United States, 1967
United States v. New York Telephone Company, 1977
Smith v. Maryland, 1979
Arizona v. Hicks, 1987

City of Ontario v. Quon, 2010
United States v. Jones, 2012
Riley v. California & United States v. Wurie, 2014

I'm not saying that we didn't have issues with the government and our privacy.

I am saying in a round about fashion, that if you are going to postulate about how people would or wouldn't have reacted to a given thing 40 years ago, having lived at that time adds credibility (y)

If you're so inclined you can do this with a router using Tor. Easiest way to get it set up is to use Pfsense, torify the connection then set up a cron to cycle the nodes every hour. It will significantly reduce the speed you get from your WAN but it's a good airbag to use in addition to other opsec methods.

What difference would this make? Using Tor should be enough here but what you describe will only change your LAN side IP and have zero bearing on your WAN side IP. Am I getting something wrong?

Yep, you are wrong, partly.

TLS does provide a secure encrypted connection between you and your ISP but that's as far as it goes. If the website you are going to supports TLS, then the connection between your ISP and that website is encrypted as well. But what goes on between the point where your connection hits the ISP, and from where the ISP connects to the distant end, can be many things and none of them will make your connection secure to the ISP who sits in the middle.

Only the additional use of a VPN, a tunnel, would do that.

Your browser would throw a BIG error if your ISP broke the SSL chain to intercept the traffic, as you would be getting a cert that does not match the server you are connecting to. They can see encrypted traffic passing through their servers, and it's destination, but they cannot see the content. If that was true, SSL would be completely broken. There is a reason a large number of sites started to enable SSL after that bullshit law passed, including H.

VPN tunnel would only allow the ISP to see the connection between your machine and the VPN server, but none of the content or the actual site/server you are connecting to through the tunnel.

I think my biggest issue is with this whole "selling my data" is that the ISP doesn't offer me a discount on my service.

Otherwise I couldn't care less what they sift through and sell, between gaming, and buying stuff, everything else goes through a vpn.

Back