Just hang in there!prices will drop!

The whole 260/280 GTX performance numbers and release pricing has really given me a real case of the shruggs.

As already stated numerous times, with the exception of Crysis or AoC if you already have a 8800GT or better theres no real reason to upgrade. Hell the 280 can't even max Crysis. I will wait to see if AMD does something amazing.

*pass

Besides what credible sourses do you expect to hear from while the NDA is still in effect?

That's the point. Anyone who would actually know anything about the production of such a product would be risking thier JOB to discuss it. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't risk my job just to brag on an internet forum. Generally the people that do that already work at McDonalds, not Nvidia or ATI.

Sorry, didn't provide enough info to make myself clear. The games I play were eating two of those cards in SLI. - (just sold one in anticipation of an upgrade to the 200 series.) - I skipped the 8800 and 9800 because I kept reading these same kinds of post's; "just wait, this release sucks, next should be better bang for buck."I can't go crossfire with this MB. Won't wait till next year with only one 7900. Am wanting to believe 280GTX is next 8800GTX and buying soon, (perhaps after ATIs' next release in hopes of price drop), will mean 1.5 to 2 years of owning the best there is. Based on what many here are saying I think those hopes are probably unfounded but now I'm trapped.

Take your pick and SLI them you will get good performance that will be most cost effective.

8800gts 159.99 AR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814134037

9600gt 109.99 AR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814145151

9800 gtx 219 AR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162009

The whole 260/280 GTX performance numbers and release pricing has really given me a real case of the shruggs.

As already stated numerous times, with the exception of Crysis or AoC if you already have a 8800GT or better theres no real reason to upgrade. Hell the 280 can't even max Crysis. I will wait to see if AMD does something amazing.

*pass

I can play AoC on a piece of crap video card if I just adjust some settings (I had problems before, driver update and adjustments and now I can hit 60 fps, making 30-40 on average). So I don't see that game as being a valid reason to get the 280.

The price on this card has technically gone down already if you count the $50 mail in rebate on the one brand. :eek:

I think NVIDIA's missing the point....We need to start thinking about PC gaming as a whole rather than NV vs. ATI. Consoles are a huge area of competition for PC gaming in general, and if we want PC gaming to maintain the prominence and stature that it deserves, more people need to be playing PC games.

With this gen, console purchasers' biggest argument against PC gaming is that they can buy an 360 or PS3 for the same price as a great video card. ATI seems to be taking this argument to heart with their RV770, offering performance that the average consumer can afford. More people playing PC games means more PC exclusives and R&D money going into PC gaming. With graphics cards being the biggest obstacle for gamers wanting to join in on the PC gaming fun, cheap and fast graphics cards are going to save the industry.

I think NVIDIA's missing the point....We need to start thinking about PC gaming as a whole rather than NV vs. ATI. Consoles are a huge area of competition for PC gaming in general, and if we want PC gaming to maintain the prominence and stature that it deserves, more people need to be playing PC games.

With this gen, console purchasers' biggest argument against PC gaming is that they can buy an 360 or PS3 for the same price as a great video card. ATI seems to be taking this argument to heart with their RV770, offering performance that the average consumer can afford. More people playing PC games means more PC exclusives and R&D money going into PC gaming. With graphics cards being the biggest obstacle for gamers wanting to join in on the PC gaming fun, cheap and fast graphics cards are going to save the industry.

Good point.

cheap and fast graphics cards are going to save the industry.
Who says top of the line graphics are required? What's holding back the industry is people buying computers with onboard graphics.

Nvidia's chips are super-expensive to make, with low yields (compare that to AMD).
Nvidia doesn't have much room for the price corrections.
No matter what they do, AMD could go much lower and still turn profit.

That is nonsense. Nvidia *can* sell the 280 for $500 and still make money - the raw costs are less than $125 per GPU. Common sense would dictate them being "friendly" to their newly "recession strapped" tech fans and offer it for under $600; $550 might be a hot price and fair profit for them - much closer to the Gx2's pricing
--i know a *gouge* when i see it; Nvidia is [again] shaking us down in a recession

Do any GAMERS really care about CUDA nonsense? it is for the PRO market - not us; not for years! i feel like i just saw another 2900xt turkey - except 2900xt was not overpriced. Heck, who in their right mind is going to pay $650 for a 280GTX when the Gx2 - arguably as fast - is TWO hundred dollars cheaper. i know the people who "must have the latest"

i see this disenchantment with GTX280 - simply OVERpriced - at every tech site i have visited. i HOPE to hell, Nvidia having slow sales and AMD blindsides them - somehow - maybe a "miracle" with AFR. That will kill their arrogance and drop pricing.
:p

That is nonsense. Nvidia *can* sell the 280 for $500 and make money - the raw costs are less than $125 per GPU
The real question is not IF Nvidia can sell the 280 for $500 and turn profit. The high end parts are not where the bulk of money is.
But will it be able to maintain the volume/market share. ATI's pricing strategy undercuts Nvidia on every level. And unexpectedly it seems that ATI will finally be able to put a good fight at the very top also.

Another reason to wait a few more weeks is to see more cooling options and other non-reference designs.

You really think we'll see that in the next few weeks? Right now, I bet 100% of the production is going to the single reference design manufacturer. Only when stock opens up do they give the GPUs to the manufacturers to let them come up with their own designs.

I have always got the middle ground cards and always felt a little left out becuase there was a huge difference in performance but the difference between a $130 9600gt card and a $250 9800gtx isn't nearly that big. I can pretty much play any game with good to great settings with a middle grade card.

I replaced an aging 8800GTX by an ancestral ATI X600 which is perfect for desktop use but abysmal for gaming. I have been playing since then with my PS3 on a 50" Pioneer Kuro. 10 years has passed since my previous console and I like it!
I will wait until the end of the summer before upgrading my video card. I have enough PS3 games to keep me busy until then...

When you say 2 years, you mean less than 18 months, right? Anyway, its still an eternity.

19 months...and yes, it is an eternity. I used to upgrade my video card more often than my motherboard/cpu. For now the 8800GTX is still superb for my uses...until the upgrade "bug" hits me and I want a pair of 380 GTX's or 5870x2.... =)

I was waiting for the reviews before buying but with the price vs perfomance gain, not gonna happen.

For the average gamer, they need to go out and buy a 9600GT for the 125 price tag, or the 9800 GTX for 225 after rebate that I saw the other day.

The 280 is only ment for the people who want to spend the money to put them in SLI setups to have insane rigs. Just like the E8400vs the E8500. You only buy the E8500 to over clock and get the extra multiplier.

The 260, actually isn't that bad on price preformance. Especially if it comes down 50$ in the short term.

looks like Nvidia may drop the 260 down to the 300$ range to compete with the 4870

but the profit margins must be real slim to sell the 260 that low

Anyone notice that the 280 and 260 are soooooo good that the price of the older cards just went up again.

looks like Nvidia may drop the 260 down to the 300$ range to compete with the 4870

Would be nice if you would post links as to why.

Oh wait. We STILL havn't seen benchmarks showing that the 4870 is going to be any better than a 2900.

Would be nice if you would post links as to why.

Oh wait. We STILL havn't seen benchmarks showing that the 4870 is going to be any better than a 2900.

There 3dmark scores that show the 4870 is the fastest card of them all

but then again 3dmark is useless for the most part.

considering that the 260 is just a slightly broken 280, yeah, thats gotta hurt.

For the average gamer, they need to go out and buy a 9600GT for the 125 price tag, or the 9800 GTX for 225 after rebate that I saw the other day.

The 280 is only ment for the people who want to spend the money to put them in SLI setups to have insane rigs. Just like the E8400vs the E8500. You only buy the E8500 to over clock and get the extra multiplier.

The 260, actually isn't that bad on price preformance. Especially if it comes down 50$ in the short term.

The 280 was designed to fill the same tier as the 8800GTX: a top of the line card without peer. The actuality of the situation is a little different (it did not achieve the clock speeds designed for) but its still an off the wall astoundingly drop dead fast card that will last a long time. NVidia is undoubtely in a pickle, because this was supposed to be /the/ card for a long time.

I dont think SLi necessarily has anything to do with it.

The 280 was designed to fill the same tier as the 8800GTX: a top of the line card without peer. The actuality of the situation is a little different (it did not achieve the clock speeds designed for) but its still an off the wall astoundingly drop dead fast card that will last a long time. NVidia is undoubtely in a pickle, because this was supposed to be /the/ card for a long time.
The 280 is roughly twice as fast as a 8800 GTX. Which when it came out was twice as fast as the previous generation card. No, they weren't able to hit the clock speeds they wanted. But that doesn't mean the die refresh won't. Or that you can't get those clock speeds out of the card. EVGA has already released a waterblock version that is clocked at 694 or something.

I dont think SLi necessarily has anything to do with it.

I would really beg to differ on this one, the bus size and memory size point towards SLI, not single card usage.

I too wish it's release price was $500-550. AMD's releases will lower the price of the 260/280.
How much is the question though. They aren't cheap to make. AMD can raise or slightly lower their prices depending on how they stack against Nvidia's offerings.

Here's a different take on the current Nvidia vs. AMD.
First, ATi isn't pricing competitively to help you out...

So ATi has given up trying to be the best and no relegates itself to being the 'bargain' according to that link.

So ATi has given up trying to be the best and no relegates itself to being the 'bargain' according to that link.
That link is just an opinion. So, here's mine.

So far, the real numbers we have seen and ATI's game plan slides show them beating Nvidia at FPS/Dollar, FPS/Watt, FPS/mm and they're embracing the scalable, multi-processor idea (and I would hope they're working towards minimizing some of the previous problems).

If it's faster and works as well as a single-GPU solution (which we won't know until August), then I have no problem accepting a multi-gpu solution. I know multi-GPU is different than multi-core processors, but I see it the same way. In the early days of dual-core processors, people said, "that doesn't count" vs. single-core CPU. A lot of people thought Liquid Nitrogen cooled P4s running at 5 or 6GHz would be king, but now multi-core CPUs are standard and their performance is universally accepted.

It will be great for the market if ATI can pull this off. Either way, buyers of cards from both companies will benefit from the competition. Don't be surprised if we see a similar approach from Nvidia in the future (improved multi-GPU solutions or multi-core).

Two reasons I like those that buy early..

1. They can test them and discover any issues with them, including any heat & driver problems.

2. We can later get these same cards for less, and then can laugh our fool heads off at those that went hog wild in being first at $650.00 a pop, specially those that had a 8800 GTX or better prior to the upgrade.

berzerker said:
]In the early days of dual-core processors, people said, "that doesn't count" vs. single-core CPU.

Still doesn't count for lots of my apps. Most apps are still single threaded. Especially games. Not every problem can be easily broken down into parallel tasks that are independent of each other (embarrassingly parallel).

One interesting contest will be 4870 CF vs. GTX260 SLI. Nvidia has never released a GX2 card early in the dev cycle of a new chip, but if they want to stay on top they are going to have to release some kind of single cards solution to go up against a 4870x2. Some sort of SLI on a card GX2 solution I presume.

Nvidia has never released a GX2 card early in the dev cycle of a new chip, but if they want to stay on top they are going to have to release some kind of single cards solution to go up against a 4870x2. Some sort of SLI on a card GX2 solution I presume.
Yes, it will be interesting to see what Nvidia comes up with. This time, they may not be able to sit back and rake in dollars like they did last generation.

Your almost certainly right but I don't do waiting very well when I don't have to, which is why i've already ordered one. :p

Back