• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Just had to share

jacuzz1

Supreme [H]ardness
2FA
Joined
Feb 14, 2004
Messages
7,456
Holy shit my house burned last night!! I gotta tell yah there is a God and I wanted to get the word out as a way thanking God almighty for giving me the strength to save my family with about 10 seconds to spare. Everyone is alright but my house sustained about 180 grand in damage. My downstairs is a total loss and my upstairs is severly smoke damaged.

My question is while my rig survived, ( I have not powered it up yet) does smoke cause long term damage? and if she fires up is it good to go?
 
Sorry to hear your loss, glad everyone is well ! I would let everything sit for a while...in case its damp, then I would ake it all apart, clean and inspect everything very well, and then power up....if after all that it works, then you should be okay !
 
yikes... was there a dell or xbox in the house.... :)

glad to hear you ok

on topic:

carbon kills computers.... airblow everything to get any ash out..
 
Damn.. best of luck to you.

Regarding the computer, I would remove the hard drive and test it seperately once you clean everything with compressed air. Hope you had insurance :)
 
Glad to hear you and your family are safe as well.

Clean everything out with rubbing alcohol after you dust it out. So long as it wasn't exposed to immense heat some of the components should be alright.

My advice: take it to a computer shop that specializes in insurance diagnostics and repairs. The store I used to work for offered a complete ground up diagnosis complete with a letter to submit to your insurance company detailing replacement costs of parts that were faulty and whether or not it was less expensive to replace the entire PC or repair it.
 
yes , i have hired the best public adjuster in the business, They will be replacing my entire house. He has a guy who will do all of that for me. What a pain in the ass . Fucki

6 months in a trailer is better than 6 months in the hospital i supposed. I am going to miss normal life but all well, it beats pushing up daises
 
Electrical Fire that melted the plumbing which drained the heating system which overheated the furnace yada yada .


I was nearly overcome with the smoke as I tossed my oldest son out the front door to join his mother and brother who had made their way out. Definately a testomonial for talking smoke detectors.
 
damn sorry to hear that.

First thing i woulda grabbed is my PC !
 
jacuzz1 said:
I was nearly overcome with the smoke as I tossed my oldest son out the front door to join his mother and brother who had made their way out. Definately a testomonial for talking smoke detectors.
Fuck'n Aye!

Electrical Fire that melted the plumbing which drained the heating system which overheated the furnace yada yada.
My GF almost started a fire kind of like that, her parents place has aluminum wiring upstairs while the downstairs was refinished with copper, her room was upstairs and one of the outlets blew and almost caught the insulation on fire.
 
Glad to hear you you made it out thats got to be very scary even more with kids. I cant even imagine. Goold luck with the trialer and kids running around and all that mess I know it can be rough. Hope the computer is playable
 
About nine months ago my wife was boiling two whole chickens when her friend called and needed a ride to the hospital to have a baby. About seven hours later when I arrived home I knew something was wrong immediatly. All the windows looked white. The fire department had to ventilate for almost 15 minutes to find the cause of smoke. Which was the chickens. All that was left was about 1/4 of an inch of black goo and two small bones in pot. Didn't know it was two whole chickens till talking to the wife. Smoke ruined carpet and everything else fabric in the house. I cleaned the computer with compressed air and alcohal? It ran for two weeks till first harddrive failed and another three weeks till the other harddrive failed. I bought both drives at different times so I'm pretty sure it was the smoke that damage them. You might also need to clean the eye on your optical drives. Mine didn't work till I did. Everything else in the computer I still use today. Sorry for your loss. Glad you and your family are ok.
 
radnads said:
About nine months ago my wife was boiling two whole chickens when her friend called and needed a ride to the hospital to have a baby. About seven hours later when I arrived home I knew something was wrong immediatly. All the windows looked white. The fire department had to ventilate for almost 15 minutes to find the cause of smoke. Which was the chickens. All that was left was about 1/4 of an inch of black goo and two small bones in pot. Didn't know it was two whole chickens till talking to the wife. Smoke ruined carpet and everything else fabric in the house. I cleaned the computer with compressed air and alcohal? It ran for two weeks till first harddrive failed and another three weeks till the other harddrive failed. I bought both drives at different times so I'm pretty sure it was the smoke that damage them. You might also need to clean the eye on your optical drives. Mine didn't work till I did. Everything else in the computer I still use today. Sorry for your loss. Glad you and your family are ok.


wow, thats good info, I was harboring hope since i just installed the fucking 6800 Ultra. I am on my lappy and it was in a case and it is still smellis like smoke but it is working. I have not fired up my big rig yet but i opened it and sure enough soot is everywhere, I willl just tell the adjuster to total it, i will salvage it for the office and build antoher beast even more powerfful mooohahaahahaha
 
Oh and thanks for all the kind words , Anybody want to buy a 6600gt ? the box smells like smoke but its sealed in a plastic bag. I Pulled it (had it about a month) when i got the Ultra and in all the excitement i missed the 14 day response deadline on the EVGA RA for step up


ANyone interested PM me iI could use the cash to play with while I wait for my insurance company to advance me
 
Thats the spirit!

But I too, would have grabbed the PC first. =]
 
Well no i will use a matrox that was not sealed instead until it dies. I am going to pull and clean the Ultra and run it in SLI with the New One my insurance company buys me. It may eventually die but what a way to go


that reminds me ihave to kill the thread where i was selling the matrox. before the fire
 
Yay for insurance. Hopefully the new card will oc better than the older one. And I'm sad now that I just bought a 6600gt for a retail price :*(
 
DSCN1109.JPG
 
Thanks, the fact that we survived is having it all work out for me. The rest is just bonus
 
Back
Top