Just grabbed a 2008 mac pro

kcmastrpc

[H]ard|Gawd
See title.. It's been upgraded to 10gb of ram, and has a couple extra hard drives but the video card that came stock with it is garbage (I'll still use it though for a 3rd and 4th display).

I have a powercolor ax5770 1gb (it has a DVI, VGA, and HDMI port on it). I've been gallivanting around the hack forums and what they're saying is that I should be able to slap the card in and it'll run without any bios hacks (I'll be running ML so I imagine the drivers will be there).

Here's my question, will I get full QE/OGL support? I remember using this same card in a hackintosh dell inspiron 530 running 10.7.6 and I could never get the darn thing to recognize as a true 5770 (always popped up as a 5700 series).

I also plan on running two X25-E's in raid0 config for my OS drive - and I'm wondering if anyone has a recommendation on a 5.25 to 2.5 mounting tray for the optical bay that'll hold two drives.

Thanks!

Not sure about mounting brackets but regarding your first question--why not just put the card in and see for yourself?

Not sure about mounting brackets but regarding your first question--why not just put the card in and see for yourself?

There are several nice after-market brackets for 5.25 -> 2x 2.5 that are available and I went ahead and grabbed one.

Well, it just so happens that the machine will arrive in the next 2-3 hours so I'm going to give it a shot. I had a chance at buying some used gtx 550's that I knew would have worked - but the google didn't give me many results on powercooler ax5770 + mac pro. In any case, the 550's are gone so I'll just order a 570 if I have to.

Keep the original card for the Apple boot screen when needed, otherwise you should be fine.

I have a few OWC sata HD sleds that I use and love them. You can also look at adding an esata port with one of those pci bracket sata - esata cables. I grabbed one and have been using for my external storage array, works quite well.

the card actually didn't work. well, it booted, but as I suspected the card was detected as a 5700 series rather than a 5770 - so OGL/QE didn't work. Finder wouldn't launch, etc. and it turned into an aggravating experience.

Good news is the card flashed with the m57702.rom bios provided by netkas and works great now (even shows the efi boot on vga). I went ahead and put refit on there as well.

I'm using all my sleds for platter drives but I have a FW800 enclosure, and a usb 2.0 as well (going to use the usb2.0 for time machine). I've run out of ports since I'm using 2x 64gb X25-E for my osx drive. I've been looking into getting a dual purpose esata + usb 3.0 card - but those are rare. The one I found is $200 and on back order currently.

One thing I was unpleasantly surprised upon trying to use both video cards is that the connector on the motherboard for the pcie power is miniaturized... ugh, why'd they do that? lol.

overall though I'm really pleased at getting this machine for $800 - it's faster than my MBP and can actually run games.

Yeah the mini pcie power cords are a pain, you can order them from the AMD store online for $15.
I had the same issues, ran a 5790 Netkas flashed and it was solid!

Sryy for stealing your thread ,but if i would want to flash a 5850 to run a mountain lion hackingtosh how would i go about doing that? What program u used to flash your card,where u got your "bios" from,can u point to a tutorial site and will the card still run natively in windows 7 after?:d tks and sryy again :)

Sryy for stealing your thread ,but if i would want to flash a 5850 to run a mountain lion hackingtosh how would i go about doing that? What program u used to flash your card,where u got your "bios" from,can u point to a tutorial site and will the card still run natively in windows 7 after?:d tks and sryy again :)

Hackintosh discussion isn't allowed on the [H]. Do a Google search.

Back