• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Just got X2 4400, Computer Slugish

RoosterUSMC

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 16, 2004
Messages
276
First time I booted up every thing was fine it booted up quick. Then I installed the AMD X2 Drivers and now boot up is slow and takes 30 - 60 secs for icons to appear and windows are slugish to open. I rolled back the driver but its still doing the same thing. Any ideas about whats going on?
 
RoosterUSMC said:
First time I booted up every thing was fine it booted up quick. Then I installed the AMD X2 Drivers and now boot up is slow and takes 30 - 60 secs for icons to appear and windows are slugish to open. I rolled back the driver but its still doing the same thing. Any ideas about whats going on?
Try installing the X2 drivers and then follow up with the Microsoft hot fix.
 
Aren't you meant to start with a fresh windows installation when you go from single core to dual core otherwise it screws up the motherboard drivers and the PC thinks its only running one core (not sure if you did this or not, apologies if you did already)
 
KaptainBlaZzed said:
unistall the X2 drivers.

it is most likely enabling cool n quiet and down clocking the CPU

Cooln quiet in the BIOS or in software? I ran CPUclock and i never saw it go below 2.2ghz, Ill check the BIOS in a little bit.
 
the x2 drivers focked up my computer too.
I personally don't think ANYONE should install them unless they absolutely HAVE to.
I don't understand why but they totally destabilized my systerm and slowed it massively.
I've tried them a few times on dual cores and always the same results.
 
What drivers should i use and how do I totally get rid of the X2 drivers? The first time I rolled back it still booted slow.
 
RoosterUSMC said:
What drivers should i use and how do I totally get rid of the X2 drivers? The first time I rolled back it still booted slow.
You don't need drivers.
it's a CPU. it'll run just fine in windows without a driver.
I wound up having to reload my windows after I tried the driver/hotfix.
I'm running 3 dual core rigs without the driver and they're all 100% stable and FAST.
including one 4400+
 
SKy042 said:
You don't need drivers.
it's a CPU. it'll run just fine in windows without a driver.
I wound up having to reload my windows after I tried the driver/hotfix.
I'm running 3 dual core rigs without the driver and they're all 100% stable and FAST.
including one 4400+


agreed, I have 3 dual cores here also 2 3800+ and a 165 none of the have the drivers installed and my average cpu speed is 2.73GHz
 
I uninstalled the driver but its still loading windows slow. When I get to the desktop it sits there for almost a minute without bringing up icons or the start bar. I can bring up the task manager tho. It seems like its fine but its just not doing anything.
 
When I get to the desktop it sits there for almost a minute without bringing up icons or the start bar

I have the same issue with my X2 4400+ on a clean XP pro load. It does more then half of the time it boots. I have not installed the X2 drivers, it runs great after and I have no other issues. I have a ASUS A8N-E main board with BIOS ver. 1008 which is what it came with. I tried the latest 1010 version but it would lock up in the BIOS when disabling the LPT port, which is a known problem so I went back.
 
Lothar said:
I have the same issue with my X2 4400+ on a clean XP pro load. It does more then half of the time it boots. I have not installed the X2 drivers, it runs great after and I have no other issues. I have a ASUS A8N-E main board with BIOS ver. 1008 which is what it came with. I tried the latest 1010 version but it would lock up in the BIOS when disabling the LPT port, which is a known problem so I went back.

I read that even if you dont install the AMD driver that windows SP2 has it and wll install it. I think that the CPU is getting the hotest on boot up and CnQ wont let it do anything until it cools down to a certain temp.
 
RoosterUSMC said:
I read that even if you dont install the AMD driver that windows SP2 has it and wll install it. I think that the CPU is getting the hotest on boot up and CnQ wont let it do anything until it cools down to a certain temp.

That's not what cnq does at all. All it does is lower the multiplier and voltage for the cpu when it's idle or not doing very much work. As soon as it's doing any real processing it runs just as it would without cnq working.
 
peacetilence said:
Aren't you meant to start with a fresh windows installation when you go from single core to dual core otherwise it screws up the motherboard drivers and the PC thinks its only running one core (not sure if you did this or not, apologies if you did already)

Appologies for intruding on your thread but since I've just purchased a dually I wanted to clear this up for myself. I need to format and reinstall XP after I install the dual core opteron correct? quick and simple enough question, apologies again.
 
peacetilence said:
Appologies for intruding on your thread but since I've just purchased a dually I wanted to clear this up for myself. I need to format and reinstall XP after I install the dual core opteron correct? quick and simple enough question, apologies again.


it is not necessary, but it would probably be a good idea

all is did was swap out my 3000+ for my X2 3800+ and go.

and i am running XP Pro SP2 on 3 dual core AMD's with no problems at boot up
 
KaptainBlaZzed said:
and i am running XP Pro SP2 on 3 dual core AMD's with no problems at boot up


what mainboard, or did you just mean you have 3 seperate machines.... had me excited for a minute, then i read the post a few more times... lol
 
Light1984 said:
what mainboard, or did you just mean you have 3 seperate machines.... had me excited for a minute, then i read the post a few more times... lol

I have 3 seperat machines and their mobo's are

1. DFI NF3 ULTRA-D
2.EPox 9NDA3J
3.ECS A939
 
check your power options, set to always on, and try resetting cmos for boot issue.
 
Ok, I've seen this before, and perhaps this will help all those who are having slow booting issues. Once you're in Windows, (especially if you're using the nVidia IDE/SATA drivers), turn off NCQ...that is if your HDD has that capability. It seems as though there is a bug with the nForce4 chipset and drives that have NCQ. I can't find the link right now, but the fix is below.

Is it totally necessary to turn off NCQ if your HDD does not have NCQ? I'm not sure, but you can try that also.

To do this:

1. Go to Device Manager
2. Open your IDE/ATAPI controllers
3. Right click on each controller and select either Primary Channel, Secondary Channel, or both
4. Look for the box titled, "Enable Command Queuing"
5. Uncheck it

Now, reboot and see if the slow boot times disappear. I have read this as a fix on several other forums, so hopefully it will help you guys! Good luck.
 
_Durandal_ said:
Ok, I've seen this before, and perhaps this will help all those who are having slow booting issues. Once you're in Windows, (especially if you're using the nVidia IDE/SATA drivers), turn off NCQ...that is if your HDD has that capability. It seems as though there is a bug with the nForce4 chipset and drives that have NCQ. I can't find the link right now, but the fix is below.

Is it totally necessary to turn off NCQ if your HDD does not have NCQ? I'm not sure, but you can try that also.

To do this:

1. Go to Device Manager
2. Open your IDE/ATAPI controllers
3. Right click on each controller and select either Primary Channel, Secondary Channel, or both
4. Look for the box titled, "Enable Command Queuing"
5. Uncheck it

Now, reboot and see if the slow boot times disappear. I have read this as a fix on several other forums, so hopefully it will help you guys! Good luck.

Enable Command Queuing is unchecked.
 
RoosterUSMC said:
Enable Command Queuing is unchecked.
Darn, thanks for getting back to me though. I'm out of ideas, but will keep watching the thread in case someone else can suggest a solution. Good luck!
 
granted im not using a dualy but i have ncq on my dfi nf4 ultra turned on and have 0 problems (2 250gb diamonmax 10's in R0)
 
X2 Drivers? Microsoft Hotfix?

Do you mean the nVidia Chipset drivers?

What MS Hotfix are you referring to. I'm building one of these tonight and I didn't know about this hotfix.

-Larry

spiroh said:
Try installing the X2 drivers and then follow up with the Microsoft hot fix.
 
Ok, is there anything in the NF4 chipset that IS working right?

Firewall - broke.
ActiveArmour - broke.
IDE Drivers - broke.

-Larry

_Durandal_ said:
Ok, I've seen this before, and perhaps this will help all those who are having slow booting issues. Once you're in Windows, (especially if you're using the nVidia IDE/SATA drivers), turn off NCQ...that is if your HDD has that capability. It seems as though there is a bug with the nForce4 chipset and drives that have NCQ. I can't find the link right now, but the fix is below.

Is it totally necessary to turn off NCQ if your HDD does not have NCQ? I'm not sure, but you can try that also.

To do this:

1. Go to Device Manager
2. Open your IDE/ATAPI controllers
3. Right click on each controller and select either Primary Channel, Secondary Channel, or both
4. Look for the box titled, "Enable Command Queuing"
5. Uncheck it

Now, reboot and see if the slow boot times disappear. I have read this as a fix on several other forums, so hopefully it will help you guys! Good luck.
 
every nf4 piece works for me
my firewall works, ide drivers work, active armor works, and my ncq works only problem i had was with the 666 network drivers, i rolled them back to the next driver release and they worked fine. running a dfi nf4 sli dr
 
This is ridiculous. I got a new case last night, because my old one didn't have enough air-flow. I swap all my parts into the new case. I turn on the PC, and my BIOS has been reset. I don't think much of it, reset to defaults, and then proceed to set it up exactly as it was before. I go to boot, and it takes about 5 minutes (no exaggeration,) to boot into Windows. After I get into Windows, it takes another 3 minutes or so to finish logging in, and another 3-5 to finish loading the things I run in the background like Peer Guardian, NV control panel, etc. I remembered seeing this thread earlier in the day, so just out of curiosity I uncheck the NCQ (because I have drives that support it, (though they always worked before with this one.)) It's still doing this. Now the worrisome part is that I tried running a repair install of Windows, and it takes forever to copy the initial batch of files over, (which took maybe 30 seconds before.) Now I'm starting to wonder if the file-system is damaged, or something like this. (you'd think the Windows installer would complain if that was the case though) I didn't change a thing except move everything into a new case. It used to take Windows roughly 25-30 minutes to install on this drive. I wasn't even past the initial (blue/yellow) file copy by this time last night, so I cancelled it.

Any more ideas? Doesn't seem like a Windows problem anymore since it's this slow during install too. I can't just wipe the drive either as I can't currently back up my files onto the other drive. There must be something stupid that I'm overlooking here.

I'm running:
ASUS A8N-SLI (BIOS 1010)
AMD X2 3800+ @ 2400 (though I have tried it at stock speeds just in case)
My system drive is a Seagate 7200.9 SATA2 with NCQ (tried with and without this in Windows)
The rest is pretty standard, (X-Fi, Wireless NIC, etc.)
This is with XP (32bit) SP2, 6.66 (or newer) NV drivers, etc. It was working perfectly until I switched cases and had to reset the BIOS settings. (I'm using the same PSU as I was in the other case, an Enermax 495 dual 12V)
 
Interesting, I just read in the ASUS forums that someone had the exact same problem as mine, (and possibly for the OP too.) Basically their CMOS battery was drained/dead. They replaced it, and the slow boot went away. That makes sense, because mine complained about the CMOS losing its settings after I swapped the parts into the new case. I wonder if I zapped it somehow. It was working fine before. I'm going to pick up a new battery on my way home, and see if it solves my problem too. I'll post the results.
 
Back
Top