Just got some 775 parts, Got a few questions

dtess17

2[H]4U
My buddy stopped over today, and brought some toys for me to play with. Asus Maximus Formula and a Q9450.

I haven't played with an Intel system since my old skt 478 system.You could say i'm out of the loop. Hence I have a few questions.

1. I had read a few things about being able to link and unlink your memory, I see no options for this anywhere in the BIOS. Am I missing something or does this not exist?

2. What is the best method to isolate the mobo,ram and the CPU for testing?
i.e find out if the mobo is a great OCer or if the cpu is a dud, ect. I think I remember some program I used on my 939 system that helped me find my max MB fsb, and the max OC on the chip...anything out there like that?

3.I read that the 45nm chips don't like voltage all that much, reading the OC guide and looking on the Intel page says my chip can only go to1.3625 Is this true?

1. i have no answer for and i dont want to guess and confuse you..

2. best method would be to set your memory to a 1:1 divider w/ the FSB.. some boards it will show up as 2.0 or 1:1.. that will allow you to max out your cpu with out the memory being a variable in the overclock..

3. 1.4v for everyday use.. benchmarking you could go to 1.5v but i wouldnt recommend running it that high for everyday use..

1. I had read a few things about being able to link and unlink your memory, I see no options for this anywhere in the BIOS. Am I missing something or does this not exist?
You cannot unlink the memory with Intel chipsets.
2. What is the best method to isolate the mobo,ram and the CPU for testing?
i.e find out if the mobo is a great OCer or if the cpu is a dud, ect. I think I remember some program I used on my 939 system that helped me find my max MB fsb, and the max OC on the chip...anything out there like that?
Like sirmonkey said, just set the RAM to its lowest possible speed and overclock the CPU as far as possible.
3.I read that the 45nm chips don't like voltage all that much, reading the OC guide and looking on the Intel page says my chip can only go to1.3625 Is this true?
1.4V is the safe ceiling. 1.45V is the absolute maximum spec according to Intel. I strongly recommend against going up to 1.5V like sirmonkey suggested as that can cause long-term damage to the CPU, even if it's only used for a short period of time at that voltage.

Ok I'll try playing with it now. Hopefully it's a good chip/board. I'd love an upgrade, but i can't see taking the stuff if it's just run of the mill

This BIOS is so different from my other system. I've never used anything like this before...nothing is where I'd normally think it is.

Back