Just got my VP912b but...problems

O_Agios

n00b
Joined
Feb 21, 2003
Messages
10
Hey all,
I received my Viewsonic VP912b monitor a couple of days ago and since then I have been trying to calibrate the monitor.
The black colors are not quite as black as it is when the monitor is turned off. In addition I can see some white traces near the side edges of the screen and at the bottom. It appears to me that the backlight is not even. Also if you notice the screen on a bright colored background it seems to tremble. I am using the DVI cable that came with the monitor to connect it to my 9800XT. Tried the d-sub but I got the same results. Also in order to have the monitor calibrated well enough I had to set Contrast & Brightness to almost 0. Actually i have contract 6 notches from 0 and brightness 3 notches from zero.
Do you guys think that uneven backlight and trembling picture are good reasons for RMA?
 
Blacks will never be as black as when the screen is off. The backlight is still on behind the black pixel. And with modern day backlighting designed for brightly lit offices, some light is going to show through. You'll have to wait for individually LED backlit pixels for true black from an LCD.

Uneven backlighting is sort of endemic to LCDs. it mostly occurs around the edge of the screen. Mine has a light spot in the top right corner but you only really see it when total black is displayed. I decided to live with it. But maybe read your warranty and call Viewsonic's support to see if you can RMA if it really bothers you.

As for the trembling picture. Try reducing the DVI frequency. Go to Display Properties then Advanced Settings. On the Options tab, check the Reduce DVI box. That may make a difference.
 
O_Agios said:
Hey all,
I received my Viewsonic VP912b monitor a couple of days ago and since then I have been trying to calibrate the monitor.
The black colors are not quite as black as it is when the monitor is turned off. In addition I can see some white traces near the side edges of the screen and at the bottom. It appears to me that the backlight is not even. Also if you notice the screen on a bright colored background it seems to tremble. I am using the DVI cable that came with the monitor to connect it to my 9800XT. Tried the d-sub but I got the same results. Also in order to have the monitor calibrated well enough I had to set Contrast & Brightness to almost 0. Actually i have contract 6 notches from 0 and brightness 3 notches from zero.
Do you guys think that uneven backlight and trembling picture are good reasons for RMA?

Brightness and contrast are good “touch up” controls, but you can’t calibrate a monitor with just those.

Go into your monitor settings and take each color and start to drop the levels equally until you start to see really good blacks. Before you do that put your contrast and brightness back at around 50% or so. Once you get decent blacks go to a gray scale screen and adjust for tint. Gray should be gray, with no tinge of pink, blue or green. Again, you can adjust tint with the individual color controls. Once you get that far use your brightness and contrast to touch up your gray scale balance.

Fine-tuning can also be adjusted with your video card settings, or any software that came with your computer.

Luck
 
Back
Top