Just got my U3011 Dell 30" today. First thoughts.

bigpaw

n00b
I work from home and now have two 30's as my monitors, the new u3011 and the 3007-HC.

I also play Counter Strike Source competitively so the input lag I kept hearing about kinda scared me. To anyone that doesn't want to buy this because of the lag, don't fear it. This doesn't feel any different then the 3007-HC 30" inch.

The panel is a bit higher quality then the 3007-HC, just need to calibrated it, everything seems to be shifted blue a little upon first start.

Just wanted to give my .02 cents as a Source player here.

Great to hear. I calibrated mine with a Spyder 3 Pro and it came out perfect. Can't ask for a better monitor.

Good to know, can you clone the two and move a window around, or even put them otgether extended and move a window down the middle of them and see if they line up?

Yea the windows line up, if you have the monitors at the same height, physically. I haven't tried to run them in clone mode, but I have them in extended.

Nice! I'm thinking about replacing my 3008 with a 3011. If I can make room, I'll use both.

congrats OP! i just picked one up myself too. just so i don't start a whole new thread, can someone share what settings they're using for everyday web browsing and gaming?

dcho, others settings might not work as well as you think cause of differences in panels (blue tints, uneven color etc..) best to pickup a spyder to calibrate it if you are already spending 1k on the monitor. just my 2 cents!

fair enough. I'm not super picky so just wanna be in the ballpark :D

you know what's funny, mine are defaulted with minimal changes, i would give them to you but it wouldn't make a difference. the color profile is what made the biggest difference :( sorry bro!

congrats OP! i just picked one up myself too. just so i don't start a whole new thread, can someone share what settings they're using for everyday web browsing and gaming?

The monitor should come factory calibrated in the sRGB and Adobe RGB modes. Use the sRGB mode for everyday use, and use the Adobe RGB only if you need to work in the Adobe RGB color space.

Also dial down the brightness to 2-10, depending on your surrounding. The default brightness of 50 is too bright. See:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u3011.htm

Would I be better off trading in my 2407+2408 and getting a 27/30? I LOVE the real estate I have now... but the thought of a bigger screen + higher res has always been tempting.

Would I be better off trading in my 2407+2408 and getting a 27/30? I LOVE the real estate I have now... but the thought of a bigger screen + higher res has always been tempting.

Same setup as mine, and same decision i had to make. Instead of going triple 24s I went for a 27" for the higher res. So now I have a 2408(tn)+U2711+2407 in landscape and look really good side by side since the 27 at 16:9 isnt much taller than the 24s at 16:10.

I came from 3x2407wfp to a U3011 and I love the screen estate + higher res :D

is that 7970 enough to run the 1600p with decent quality setting in say bf3, and swtor?

Im hearing my gtx580..cant handle the u3011 with any quality on... which has bumped me back to 27''s..or 32 1080p tv

I have a GTX580@850 core and a U3011. All games are playable at 2560x1600 and with most you can get constant 60fps on medium or high settings however if you want a constant 60fps playing multiplayer BF3 with max settings you will need to move to SLI. 7970 is ~30% faster then 580 and will overclock just as well so no problems with 2560x1600.

I really like my U3011, if they could just dial down the AG coating (annoying on all white background) a bit it would be perfect.

I have 2x7970 Crossfire, all the games I play are very playable at 1600p with most of them set to max settings besides AA. I believe even with one GTX580, you should be able to play most games at medium to high settings @ 1600p

The three things I dislike most about the Dell U3011 is the amount of heat it produces, the power consumption, and I don't care for the thick monitor housing which is all due to the CCFL backlight. I hope Dell's next 30" is thinner and LED backlit with a gloss or semi gloss IPS panel.

The three things I dislike most about the Dell U3011 is the amount of heat it produces, the power consumption, and I don't care for the thick monitor housing which is all due to the CCFL backlight. I hope Dell's next 30" is thinner and LED backlit with a gloss or semi gloss IPS panel.

They will have to choose between color quality and power/heat. There's a reason why there's no LED backlit LCD monitor that can compete with the CCFL backlit ones. Just take a look at the AdobeRGB numbers at review sites. Those nice apple cinema displays score very poorly for that.

For me, that wouldn't be a big deal. But I'm guessing a large part of Dell's market for the u2711 and u3011 are people wanting them for their high gamut capabilities.

Back