Just got my PNY 6800 GT...question

planetary

[H]ard|Gawd
What's the deal with the memory heatsink? It feels like its plastic? Or does it just have a plastic shell around a metal heatsink? I'm at work right now, so all I can do is look at it, really. Also, what is the best driver to download? I'm coming back to nVidia after being with ATI since the 9700 Pro came out.

It's a plastic shell around an aluminum heatsink as you guessed. The fan sucks in air from your case and blows it across the metal heatsink within the plastic like a windtunnel.

Best driver is 61.76 RC
http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?det=824

Official drivers (based off that 61.76) should be available on Nvidia's site this week.

Cool thanks dude. I notice big thermal pads on the memory. Is it really beneficial to remove the and put Arctic Silver in place of them? If so, how difficult is the heat sink to get off? Thanks.

planetary said:
Cool thanks dude. I notice big thermal pads on the memory. Is it really beneficial to remove the and put Arctic Silver in place of them? If so, how difficult is the heat sink to get off? Thanks.

No its not really beneficial, because apparently the surface between the HSF and the memory is not perfect and the pads make up for the difference (according to others who have tried). Best bet is pads on the memory and as on the core which it seems most GTs come with already (BFGs come with AS, eVGA uses some sort of compound not sure what, dunno what PNY does). Just OCing it stock is prob your best bet - I have seen PNYs with big overclocks so odds are they are using something decent on the core.\

also dont forget to use driver cleaner :)

Back