Just got my MCR-320 stackable radiator: will my fans not work?

The installation involves screwing three fans into one of the radiators (they fail to specify which, it is simply referred to as "the first radiator") and then installing plastic snap rivets through the other side of the fans into the other radiator.

The fans pictured have a sort of "open corner" design, but my Yate Loons have a "closed corner" design.

Am I screwed?

i wouldnt say youre screwed. i doubt you can use the plastic things with closed corner fans though. your only bet for using the plastic snap rivets would be to take a dremel or even just a small coping or hack saw and cutting out the closed part of the fan. otherwise youll have to come up with a completely different method of mounting the fans.

Send an email to Swiftech, they're very good about responding to questions quickly. I had a question and got a response from the CEO within an hour.

Did some reading over on XS -- it seems a few people have used shrouds (really just fan housing) installed on one rad with the fans installed on the other and zip tied them together. That seems like the best option, as I'd rather not hack my new yates up.

Can I safely use my Bitspower compression fittings with these rads -- possibly even D-plugs? Gabe had this to say, but I've been told many different things.

3/ A final concern is the fact that our radiators feature an o-ring groove, and these fittings are designed for a flat face since they have a captured o-ring. If the OD of the fitting body is larger than 17.8mm (the OD of our o-ring groove), then the fitting might not be able to seal.

always go with what gabe says. hes a real gem.

Well, I've been using BP compression fittings on an MCR220 for a few months now with no issues. Are these fittings just small enough in diameter to work?

Edit: 7/16" ID 5/8" OD

well, you can cut out the corners so theyre open, you can get different fans that have open corners, or you can make some sort of shroud. i cant really think of any other ways.

well, you can cut out the corners so theyre open, you can get different fans that have open corners, or you can make some sort of shroud. i cant really think of any other ways.

Thanks. I've given some though to the shroud idea. I'm using a Rocketfish case, and considering the quality of the fans that came with the case, I wouldn't feel bad about gutting those for shrouds.

Originally, I thought I could just use the stock Rocketfish fans in the center of the stack, but that wouldn't work well with my Yate Loons, would it, since they're not pushing the same amount of air?

idk anything about rocketfish fans, but theyre probably not as good as the yates. im guessing your closed corner yates just have a tube between the two flanges where the screws go. these are pretty much just so that you dont bend the corners over and break or warp them by tightening a bolt through there too much. since you wont be putting a bot through, its not important. having them open so you can put them in between the rads is important though. you want to cut out the cylinder on each corner to go from the left picture to the right picture here. then use screws on one side and the plastic snap rivets in the other side. as to connecting the rads, you may need to get stubby barbs if they werent included with your rad like these ones.

EDIT: something like this might work better. make sure you measure the length you need first and order the right size.

Last edited:
I can say that the Rocketfish fans are not as good as the Yates, if you're using YL medium speeds. They might be about as good or slightly better than YL low speeds, but they are nowhere near as good as the mediums.

I broke down and bought some open-corner low speed yates. The medium speeds will make fine case fans, I imagine.

I'll post pics when I get everything done.

Back