Just got my first mechanical

Ihaveworms

Ukfay Ancerkay
I got this in today and I am impressed with how it feels. I got it in the brown switch as I didn't really like how much pressure it took on my friend's G6v2. I also didn't want the clickyness of the blues for annoyance factor on skype. The free keycaps were a nice bonus :D

keyboardb.jpg

where did you get this? i was looking on elitekeyboards and they don't have anymore filco's.

I got it from here http://www.armygroup.com.tw/ , specifically this one: http://www.armygroup.com.tw/shop/goods.php?id=1675 . I read a guide on geekhack found here that tells you the steps to order it. Using chrome with built in translation also helps.

Nice board you picked. :)

I almost did the same thing either via Army Group thing or The Keyboard Company out of the UK but it's going to burn me if I spend that kind of money to import and then Elite Keyboards gets those Leopolds in and I see I could have gotten essentially the same thing for a considerable savings. And then there's the Rosewill RK-9000.

Decisions, decisions. ;)

Sure would be nice if EK could at least pop out with an update with some more concrete information if nothing else.

how did you get free key caps? how long did it take from when you ordered it to when you got it at your door? how much was shipping? thanks.

The keycaps just came as a free gift with the board. If you scroll to the bottom of the page I linked of the board I got, there should be an image of them there. It came out to 4,833 taiwanese dollars for me to ship it to the united states. It broke down to the following:
Goods Subtotal: $ 3400 + shipping: $ 1260 + fee: $ 173

I don't really know what 'fee' is. Maybe tax? That is the translation I got from google translate. After paypal currency change fee, my total was $169.33 USD.

It shipped out at ~5:30AM EST on January 11th. So factor in the weekend in addition to Monday being a holiday for USPS. Otherwise I would have gotten it yesterday.

Sure would be nice if EK could at least pop out with an update with some more concrete information if nothing else.
Yeah I signed up to the newsletter last week hoping maybe this month's newsletter giving at least some information on that matter. Well that didn't happen. So I emailed them asking if they had any idea of when they would get those boards in only to be told to sign up on the newsletter. Did it really take a week just to tell me that? -_-

Yeah I signed up to the newsletter last week hoping maybe this month's newsletter giving at least some information on that matter. Well that didn't happen. So I emailed them asking if they had any idea of when they would get those boards in only to be told to sign up on the newsletter. Did it really take a week just to tell me that? -_-

It took them a week to even write you back in an email just to tell you that?

Doesn't sound very promising at all. I can't say I'm feeling really inspired in my gut to reward them with my business or anything.

Yeah, I didn't feel like waiting. So I just went the armygroup route.

Ordered Rosewill RK-9000 from Newegg. :)

Last edited:
I am so completely lost.....why exactly are we getting excited over buying $100+ keyboards? A keyboard is a keyboard...I've used many, they all do the same thing.

Last edited:
Look into mechanical keyboards, try one out and i'm sure you'll see why everyone is excited over some expensive keyboards.

I am so completely lost.....why exactly are we getting excited over buying $100+ keyboards? A keyboard is a keyboard...I've used many, they all do the same thing.

just like everything else there is a different level of quality. also, these keyboards are mechanical. you can read about the difference here and here.

I just bought a Black Widow. Now I'll have to find a quiet mechanical keyboard to use at the office. Oh, and another one for my rendering/photoshop box.

The difference is amazing. I hate going to work and having to type on the cheap Dell keyboards they use there...well that and the fact that they won't give me anything faster than a 1.2 GHz Opty with 1 GB of RAM.

The clicky sounds are too loud for me, other than that mechanical keyboards are really nice.

Couldn't be happier with my Cherry MX Blue Rosewill RK-9000. Feels great. Not too loud for me. No one else in the house has complained yet, either. :)

I've got a Filco with cherry browns as well. Didn't get any free keycaps though. :(
It's a lovely keyboard to type on, but I kinda wished I'd gotten the one with cherry blues instead.

I wouldn't use anything but cherry mx blue, I LOVE the clicky noise and feedback. Its addicting.

If I have to order a replacement keyboard for my IBM M model I think I will take the Unicomp Customizer 101. I haven't had the chance to experience cherry mx blue switches, but I hope I do one day. Till then buckling springs is still the best for me.

Congratulations on your new keyboard and I wish you lots of fun when typing.

hey worns, how are you liking it? I have the same one on the way as my first mech keyboard

I am getting more used to it. I find that after using it, other keyboards seem weird to type on. My MBP keys seems too stiff and my g15 keys just feel....weird.

Omg...nerdgasm...

That's basically how it's been for me using this Rosewill.

I even had to fix something on my sister's computer the other day and she's still using an MS Ergo like I had been and I was quite astonished at how intolerable that was for me.

Can someone explain why the Filco k/b through Elitekeyboards are out of stock indefinitely?

I got to review the thermaltake meka g1 mechanical keyboard a few weeks ago and I'm pretty impressed with mechanical keyboards. I just wish they weren't so expensive.

question to worms. after using the filco for a while do the keys get shiney?

I have watched for that as I heard people talking about it on geekhack. I haven't noticed my keys getting shiny at this point.

I just bought the Razer Blackwidow Ultimate. Should be here by Wednesday or Thursday. :D

Can't wait to try out my first mechanical in years. The last one I used was a Dell AT101W about ten years ago.

I'm kinda disappointed to hear it's only 2-key roll over, but what can you do. I like the feature set when compared to Deck keyboards, and I haven't had any experience with iOne and can't find enough information about the Xarmor U9BL.

eh, i have a g15. W key started sticking. pulled the cap off and the rubber dome has torn. :(
have been wanting to get a mechanical keyboard again anyway. my last one was from '90 I think, the gateway.
i'd like one with illuminated keys because I use it at night, but looks like only the razer blackwidow does that.
anybody have any other suggestions?

eh, i have a g15. W key started sticking. pulled the cap off and the rubber dome has torn. :(
have been wanting to get a mechanical keyboard again anyway. my last one was from '90 I think, the gateway.
i'd like one with illuminated keys because I use it at night, but looks like only the razer blackwidow does that.

I was torn between the Blackwidow Ultimate and a Deck Legend
http://deckkeyboards.com/
I ordered the Legend Ice tactile over the weekend....will have it around Thurs. I hope. I'm using a G15 as well and my last mech. was back in the early 90's...

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate, Deck Legend, and iOne Xarmor U9BL are the current offerings for mechanical + backlit. Deck probably has the best build quality, Razer has the best feature set (though no NKRO), and iOne is somewhere in between both.

Razer Blackwidow Ultimate, Deck Legend, and iOne Xarmor U9BL are the current offerings for mechanical + backlit. Deck probably has the best build quality, Razer has the best feature set (though no NKRO), and iOne is somewhere in between both.
Hmmm, the U9BL would be great if they included a version with browns for those who dislike the sound of the blues.

Update: U9BL-S uses Cherry Browns !

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I got to review the thermaltake meka g1 mechanical keyboard a few weeks ago and I'm pretty impressed with mechanical keyboards. I just wish they weren't so expensive.

and i bought slayers meka from him. Its a nice keyboard. You can tell its built 100x better than you normal average PoS. Its built like a tank..very nice solid feel to it.

I like the keyboard alot. It has Cherry Blacks i believe...which are supposed to give more feedback than others if im mistaken. I do enjoy the fact that its a nice, audible sound when you push the keys. It almost pushes your finger back up. It is kinda weird to hear the button make a sound while its being pressed. What i mean is, there is alittle type of "whoosh" sound that you only hear with mechanical keyboards. Its like a sliding plastic type of sound. I like it most of the time, but sometimes its alittle weird to listen to.

What i dont like about it is the giant TT on the keyboard itself. Its just too much, less is more =) The lights on it are super super bright...it lights up my whole room, which isnt awful, but wish it was just toned down a tad. Also, the cord, while its top notch quality, its about 1.5ft shorter than any other cable for a keyboard ive seen. This is just a issue with the meka im sure.

All in all, good keyboard....solid feel, satisfying click and feedback...great for typing. Normal keyboards now just feel mushy..i question if i actually pushed the key down all the way cause im waiting to hear that nice mechanical click.

Last edited:
Back