Just got my Digital Rebel!!!

Davenow

Gawd
I am SO stoked. My first real camera :p
I have had $200 point and shoot 2-3mp digitals before, but this is a whole new world :)
I plan on reading the manual cover to cover once or twice before I really start playing with it, but of course I took a couple lame first test shots :D :cool:

Sorry, just had to tell someone (none of my real life buddies are into photography)

Awsome. Welcome to the world of emptier wallets as you start to check out lenses, filters, flashes, etc. :)

I'm still waiting to buy a DSLR... Sticking with the trusty old K1000 for now. (I'm actually considering buyinf the *ist DS when I go digital because I can use my 3 existing K-mount lenses.)

I just picked one up today too.
They are sweet. Already have a bunch of lenses.

if you like to be risky look into different bios's for the rebel. there have been some interesting ones out there that can do a lot for the camera.

I thought about flashing the bios to the 10D, but at this point, with my incredibly limited skill set, I wont be making use of 85% of the camera's features in standard form for a LONG time. So I am going to stick with the standard Bios for now :)

I am looking into a couple different/better lenses, and last night I bought a HOYA UV filter off ebay so I can at least get the one I have protected.

I am planning on 3 lenses pretty much as soon as I can afford them

50mm 1.8
this sigma 28-105 3.5
and when I can scrape up the $600 for it, there is a 55-200mm 2.8 I REALLY want.
In the meantime I will probably go with the best 70-300 that about $220 will buy me. None of the REALLY zoomed out stuff I will be doing is going to need a super fast lens. But I want to get that 55-200 before summer for taking pics at the autocross, and I know I need that to be a fast lens. IIRC the 55-200 I was looking at was a Tokina

I've got a Tamron 70-300mm for my Rebel, and it was a pretty good deal. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=213159&is=REG

I read reviews on lenses forever, and eventually came up with the conclusion that everybody thinks something different about each lens, so just find one that you like, and use it.

The pics in my Disney/Universal thread were all taken with the Tamron 70-300 and the Digital Rebel. Also, bigger versions of those pics are here, all taken with the 70-300.

http://adam.loadedregister.com/pics/temp/

It was a good deal for around $150. I don't shoot long range enough to justify a huge Canon EF IS long range, so I got that one.

Soon I will probably be getting a Canon 28-135 IS lens, for the medium and all-around type of stuff.

You'll love the 50mm 1.8, its great at night, and for macros. I'm heading to a 12hr American LeMans series race in about 2 weeks, the 50mm will come in handy for the night shots. The 70-300 is a great lens, but the AF is a little slow for 200+mph cars :)

I got one last week but had issues with the power switch or something. Got an RMA and have to ship it back. Guess that's the chance you take when you try to get a good deal on the web. Got it for $750 shipped with the 18-55 mm lens from www.priceritephoto.com. Hopefully they'll turn it around pretty quick.

Best buy has it for 799, no waiting for it to come in the mail, if its broke out of the box, take it back and exchange it an hour later :)

I got mine from Best buy, but I only paid $699 (no tax, bought in NH) << I had a store credit wasting away in my wallet.

I was 100% going to get it online till I realized I could have it, right away, for 699 out of pocket. I wasnt going to be using that store credit for anything worthwhile anyway :)

Actually 799 isnt a BAD deal anyway. Its still 899 at a lot of places, even online. Although if you are ordering online, Beach does have the best price (thats where I was going to get it to begin with)

Nifty fifty is definitely a nice lens to have. I'd save money for nicer lenses however. Find a Tamron 28-75MM F/2.8 XR Di locally, make sure you get a good copy. Save up for the 70-200mm f/4L... once you've seen L glass you'll never want to look away ;)

Yeah, I saw that Best Buy deal after I had already ordered from PriceRitePhoto. It would definately have been worth around $100 not to have to deal with mail order.

I hope you got an outstanding deal on it - the Digital Rebel XT is coming out in a couple of weeks with a couple more megapixels, and lots more nifty features like flash compensation, nearly instant-on, and much faster burst shooting.

I bought a Digital Rebel about two months ago, and while it was coming, found out that the new XT was due out - I sent the DigiReb back unopened for refund, and have pre-ordered the XT.

Of course, if you DID get a seriously good deal, then it's not all so bad....

steve

Here are some lens' you should look at:
80-200mm F4L. Probably one of the best quality/money buys out there for tele-zooms.
50mm F1.8/F1.4. For the 1.8, its 50 bucks, by far the best bang for the buck lens out, period.
17-40mmL. Great lens, kinda pricy though. For short range(you have to remember the 1.6x multi for rebels) and cheap, the stock lens is a pretty resonable deal, though its quality and contrast are a bit lacking.
300-800mm Bigbigma. Ok, this is just for shits and giggles, but being able to magnify a house so that you can see into a window from 5 miles out is just kickin-rad.

Not a chance in hell I will be buying L lenses.

*edit, they arent as exensive as I thought, however it is still FAR more lens than I will be able to even hope to make use of in the next few years. I may go for the one 70-200L lens as its only like 550 or something, but I would rather spend the money on one with image stab....

Would I love to have lenses like that? Of course, who wouldnt.

It just makes no sense for me to even consider them.
My big splurge is the F2.8 70-210 Tokina that is $609.
Although I am starting to consider upping my budget to buy some of the image stabilizing lenses. I woudl go from a $1200 budget to about a $2000 budget it looks like.

Back