Just got my Dell 2005FPW

IceWindus

n00b
After reading alot of the threads about this monitor and after my huge fiasco disaster with the 2405, I decided to give a 2005 a shot, for $411 from my Dell Rep.

I kinda ripped it outa the box fast during lunch break so I didn't get the version number. Amazingly, no dead pixels and looks like fairly even backlighting from what I could tell. Need nighttime to verify this.

The screendoor effect is SOMEWHAT noticable as people have spoken off, but definently not what I feared it to be. From a decent distance, its hard to tell, but I can tell the difference between the 2005 and 2405. By far, the 2405 does not have this problem.

People have also been complaingin about "shimmering" or "waves" going down the side of the monitor. During my BF2 loading menu, I noticed this effect on the left side of the monitor. However, I have been unable to see it during regular windows or any other games, so I appears to be random on my monitor. Again, from a distance, its almost impossible to notice for my anyway.

I also seem to notice that the colors are bit more "Truer" especially reds versues the 2405. They tended to be a bit more "washed" out when I compare them.

I also noticed that I don't get thing "ghosting" that I did with the 2405, mainly in HL2 deathmatch. I always got a "silver ghost" effect with fast moving objects which I do not noticed on this panel.
I do feel however the 2005fpw panel doesn't seem as "quick" and "lighting fast" as my 2405 did, but maybe its just a preference thing. The graphics seemd to be a bit "blurrier" then the 2405. I need to do more testing to see if this gets better after a full panel warm up.

So far, im pretty happy with it. I also like the 20" size, its almost perfect for me during games. 24" was almost to much, I had to actually move my damn head to try to look around the screen with things going on. Seems that 20" seems to be the perfect balance of size for me anyway.

I'll do more testing tonight with pics.

Congrats on your purchase. I have heard nothing but good things about the 2005fpw.

How does the backlight look?

I ordered one yesterday. Did it come with a DVI cable? I couldn't find on Dell's site where it said if it came with the cable or not.

skittzle said:
Congrats on your purchase. I have heard nothing but good things about the 2005fpw.

How does the backlight look?

Then you need to do more research ;)

Then you need to do more research

mmmk, I guess if you dig hard enough you can find faults with everything. I know that the majority of people that I see post about the 2005 love them. ;)

I am happy with mine! Although I did have to return two of them because of the backlight issue. And I spent several hours on the phone with customer support. Also, the replacements did not have return labels.....someone had to be home so that UPS could pick up both of them....good thing the wife was home.

After all of that, I do give DELL credit for next day shipping of the replacement monitors as well as picking up the shipping cost of the bad ones.

I think DELL could resolve many of the issues if they wanted too...seems like the LCD panel has too much pressure from the mounting frame in the corners? I would guess that some panels might look good after final assembly but developed issues from shipping as well?

However, For $375 I think I FINALLY got about the best 20" in this price range at the moment. The panel looks great so far and the stand is kick ass!

Got mine right after Christmas '05, and have found nothing to complain about.... I agree, at this price point, it's hard to beat....

I'm jealousy of you guys can get this monitor at this price....In my country, official dell price is about 912USD. And it's on discount now at 712USD...still very high.. : :mad:
Anyway, I'm newbie of LCD, what's the screendoor effect you talkin' about? Thanks anyway. I'm still debating to have one 2005fpw...

Upon further use, im gonna have to say I take back my previous comments on the monitor and will be sending it back to Dell and await the Viewsonic VX2025wm

1. Backlight bleeding was shown after warmup to be fairly high on all four corners of the monitor *sigh* So much for that

2. Poor viewing angles. My 2405 didn't suffer from the piss poor viewing angles that this panel does. It also shows sheens of "red" huge if not looked directly at it in dark scenes. Adjustment to color and contrast and brigthness did not help much

3. Screen door effect much more apparant. I have to say that now I know what it looks like, I can't stand it. Smoke effects in BF2 show a very apparant "grid" across the entire screen which ruins the clarity of the picture. The antiglare coating also makes the picture more fuzzy then I would like it to be.

Meh, I tried, I saw, I tested and im not impressed. I"ll wait at and see what Viewsonic has to offer.

hah , well I hope you have better luck with the Viewsonic. We will need pics and opinions of course. ;)

I was going to try and order a 2005 today but the more I read the more afraid I get. I just don't want to have to deal with returning something numerous times. Kept hoping for a better price on the 2005 also but that hasn't happened either. My 6 year old Viewsonic 19" crt is having issues so I hope it hangs in there a little while longer. I was wanting to look at the new Viewsonic also but I'm afraid mine may not last.

Jim

I just ordered mine today. My current Samsung has horrible backlight problems, but I cannot honestly notice it unless I look for it. I will post some impressions when I receive it tomorrow.

My 2005fpw should be coming in today, I'll post on how it looks when I get it.

I'm coming from a Viewsonic VX724

You people who see all of these "problems" are tying to hard to find fault. I've had my 2005FPW since November 2004 and I love it. I had a 2001FP prior and was happy with that as well.

I don't see a screendoor in the smoke during BF2. Also, why the fuck do viewing angles matter, your picky ass should be right in front of the monitor anyway, it's not a TV in family room.

I find the viewing agle to be stunning. But then again I am coming from an LCD with like a 10 degree viewing angle...its a big fucking difference. My bleeding isnt too bad one one, none on the other, no dead pixels, and as for teh screen door effect, I only see it when rocking back and forth really fast right in front of the screen...on purpose of course.

Im sorry you are having such a bad time with this monitor, I LOOOVE mine.

Had mine since 1st of the year and love it, no bleeding or dead pixels....about to get another now. Love the tax man! :D

Thanks for the extra thoughts guys. Maybe I'll try calling Dell tonight when I get home and see if I can get a little more off of one :D

Guess as long as they have a good return policy I might as well give one a try. This is my first LCD so I'm a little nervous taking the plunge..

Thanks again.

Jim

CRXican said:
I don't see a screendoor in the smoke during BF2. Also, why the fuck do viewing angles matter, your picky ass should be right in front of the monitor anyway, it's not a TV in family room.

lol...

Yeah..i mean if you try hard enough, i imagine you'd find faults with any piece of hardware..but so long as you dont go looking for it, i dont see how it can bother you...

When i got my 2405, the only thing i looked for was dead pixels...it didnt have that...then i just tried BF2, COD2 and NFS MW and nothing disturbed so im completely happy with it..

And about the viewing angle's...im curious as to how much of the time you're gonna be gaming or watching movies while sitting at a 30 degree angle from the monitor :p

But i suppose some people want complete value for their money...and i don't blame them.

I thought the 2405 and 2005 both had an antiglare coating... does the 2405 has anti reflection then? Or did Icewind get mixed up? I believe antiglare is glassy, and that makes things sharper, not blurrier...

My 2005fpw arrived yesterday. Fairly bad backlight bleeding from what I have read around here, but I just can't tell unless I am specifically testing it. I am going to get as many games as I can installed on my machine and really test it and see. Doom3 with lots of darkness should be a good test for it. I have a nice TV so I'll never watch DVDs on this monitor. None of the apps I currently have tested shows any bleeding problems at all, except for the starlane screensaver.

Aside from that the monitor is absolutely stunning. Not a single dead pixel. The stand is awesome. The vertical mode is very useful. Incredible clarity and brightness. Widescreen is fantastic in civ4. I may try to exchange the monitor if the bleeding is noticeable in games, but I am definitely going to stay with this model of monitor. Great stuff.

Back