Just got my 4870x2....

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK here goes, I'm an ATI fan and I would never say anything bad about them, by the way, love the 9.2's they're sweet!! But I just plugged in my 4870x2 and am getting about 300 3dmark06 points higher than I did with my OC'd 4850's(685/1050) in crossfire... that being said what the real difference is, is the gameplay, man, all the games I play just plain run better with the X2 than they ever did with the crossfire setup. I love this card and anyone who isn't getting the pleasure they deserve with this card have to take a long look at their system. What I'm talking about and what I feel in most cases is memory bandwidth, it doesn't really matter that yer CPU is running at 4000MHz if yer memory bandwidth is 7000mb/s cause that will slow down your Video...

So what I'm putting up here is a Benchmark so that anyone who is having problems with this card and yes I've seen threads where peeps are returning this amazing product and saying it just plain sucks to look too and say, hey I meet or exceed this or that, my scores should be higher... Or... Oh that's why I'm not scoring the way I should...

So here goes...

CPU- Q6600 @ 3504MHz(438*8)
MB- P5Q Deluxe
Memory- 2X2gig OCZ Platinum 1066 and 2X1gig Patriot(1098 5-5-5-15 aggresive settings)
HD- plain WD's in RAID0

Both my 4850's(685/1050) in crossfire were getting 19200 3Dmark 06 points.

My 4870x2(800/1025) is Getting 19563 points in 3dmark06.

And with Vantage and X2 at Extreme I get X8154 Points.

Now for the money, do I feel like I've been ripped off? NO WAY!!! Because the gamplay is about 80% smoother with the X2, why???? Memory Bandwidth I'm sure(I'm referring to the 2gigs GDDR5 @ 1050MHz).

Memory bandwidth... which too many people ignore with an Intel overclock and this is why the scores are low and they're blaming ATI...

Here is my memory bandwidth scores according to Everest... Now if you're not close to this I can't see you getting to these scores so alot more tuning is required, now I don't want to hear I beat you or I'm better than you, this is just for peeps that aren't satisfied with their X2 and are blaming ATI, match my setup and match my scores, I'm sure you can do it.

memory.jpg

most posters who frequent these forums don't care about futuremark scores, but glad you're enjoying your 4870x2. try a few games, it gets even better.

Well like I said, gameplay is 80% better with the X2, but if people say that 3dmark scores are irrelevant it's probably because they're in the 17000's in 06 with $600.00 worth of videocard(s)... and I wouldn't blame them for one second. But thanks for the heads up, just trying to help others not as happy as you are with their Video.

Yawn... what kind of place is this???? sorry to help... I won't post again if I bore you [H]ard core guys... WTF is this???? Mr. Igg a 6.4 year member??? wow... my Celeron 300A @ 504MHz woulda smoked anything in your crib I'm sure.

3DMark scores are irrevelant. There. I said it. And I only have a 4870 1GB.

Me = synthetic benchmark free since 2007.

I don't think that the big difference is caused by the memory bandwidth but I think that the memory size plays a bigger role here. Btw what resolution are you using for games?

Well last time I post here, I see that you guys are way too fawking good to help any newbies out there, 1st post and last post... mods, take a look at your crew ya got here, thin the heard man.

I don't think that the big difference is caused by the memory bandwidth but I think that the memory size plays a bigger role here. Btw what resolution are you using for games?

wow a constructive comment??? 1920X1200 Everything maxed on a SM 2493HM... but forgive me, quantity over speed is an AMD way of thinking... I'm an Intel guy forever...

Well last time I post here, I see that you guys are way too fawking good to help any newbies out there, 1st post and last post... mods, take a look at your crew ya got here, thin the heard man.

Go to Techpowerup. Awesome peoples.:D

Hold on to your panties. You'll always find people who have nothing better to do than act better than other people. Don't leave all of [H] for it.

What I was saying is that you should focus more on what you are actually going to use your 4870X2 for, e.g. games. You're not going to be running 3DMark on it all the time, are you? Of course not. So just fire up a game, see how much better it performs than your 4850 XFire setup, and be happy. :)

But i wish i had a 4870 X2, its a good card and i am glad you like it.

Since i am at 1440x900, all i really need is a GTX 260.

Hold on to your panties. You'll always find people who have nothing better to do than act better than other people. Don't leave all of [H] for it.

What I was saying is that you should focus more on what you are actually going to use your 4870X2 for, e.g. games. You're not going to be running 3DMark on it all the time, are you? Of course not. So just fire up a game, see how much better it performs than your 4850 XFire setup, and be happy. :)

Well, like I said for anyone thinking about upgrading, I saw a 300 point 3Dmark increase over 2 4850's but an 80% gameplay increase... My Panties are fine... thank you... ;)

wow a constructive comment??? 1920X1200 Everything maxed on a SM 2493HM... but forgive me, quantity over speed is an AMD way of thinking... I'm an Intel guy forever...

I guess that you are one of those people who bought a Pentium 4 over an Athlon 64 :D

nice upgrade OP, and relax...like most tech forums, you have a very opinionated groups...from contributing members to extreme fanboyism...

how about some pics of the system/setup?

haven't installed any futuremark apps on any of my rigs since fall 06. someone who just got their x2 and is swinging around a virtual 3dmark penis isn't going to impress many people on these forums. there are plenty of users here who have x2's and many who've had them since launch. you'll also find plenty of users here with 30" lcds, multi gpu machines, or multiple multi gpu machines. post some in game screen shots and we'll gladly join you in your happyfest, but belligerent 3dmark comments belong on the xs forums.

why? , what does this accomplish, in my view nothing...

t00nCiNaToR,

do see your point, what a shame many fall these marketing traps

also about scores, in most cases where hardware is different and games are not as highly optimize for then, they can be misleading, but I feel they can be of help in other cases, example my 4870x2 was getting half the score it "should" be getting, so I check things out and found out not both cores were enable, fix that and now back to normal,

in my case the size and bandwidth made a nice boost, playing at 2560x1600, at 1920x1200, a single 4870 was doing great,

oh by the way how you like your q6600, have one, and dying to get the q9650 or move up to i7, but trying to hold off,

sam

ps don't let them get to you ;)

haven't installed any futuremark apps on any of my rigs since fall 06. someone who just got their x2 and is swinging around a virtual 3dmark penis isn't going to impress many people on these forums. there are plenty of users here who have x2's and many who've had them since launch. you'll also find plenty of users here with 30" lcds, multi gpu machines, or multiple multi gpu machines. post some in game screen shots and we'll gladly join you in your happyfest, but belligerent 3dmark comments belong on the xs forums.

FANTASTIC... my post is for guys complaining that their X2 is too slow though... what's your point?

why? , what does this accomplish, in my view nothing...

t00nCiNaToR,

do see your point, what a shame many fall these marketing traps

also about scores, in most cases where hardware is different and games are not as highly optimize for then, they can be misleading, but I feel they can be of help in other cases, example my 4870x2 was getting half the score it "should" be getting, so I check things out and found out not both cores were enable, fix that and now back to normal,

in my case the size and bandwidth made a nice boost, playing at 2560x1600, at 1920x1200, a single 4870 was doing great,

oh by the way how you like your q6600, have one, and dying to get the q9650 or move up to i7, but trying to hold off,

sam

ps don't let them get to you ;)

I love my Q6600 but like you was looking at the Q9650... I saw some on ebay for 350... OEM's though... :(

newegg had the retail for 324.99 w/ free shipping....that's when I bought it

NICE... but I'm in Canada and our dollar is taking a beating, looking for a good deal here, but anyone who wants to get rid of theirs to upgrade to I7 I'd be more than interested... ;)

Synthetic benchmarks.. how riveting. The only game you can play and not even be in front of the PC.

Synthetic benchmarks.. how riveting. The only game you can play and not even be in front of the PC.

Yeah.. I'd be pissy too if all I had was an 8800GT, c'mon guy, piss or get off the pot! I got an extra 4850 if you want it...

So if I'm following most of you guys... A guy that uses LN2 to cool his crazy QX9770 to 7.0GHz and then usese Sandra to benchmark is a loser... Is that right?? Sorry, I missed the point of overclocking, I'm sure glad you guys are alive to straighten me out... thanks... Seems alot of you have the green eyed monster biting your heels. I'm more interested in Power and speed, guess I'm in the wrong forum.

And just to let you know, I was overclocking since before most of you were born, I'm old school, I believe in spending the least amount of cash on the sub-par products and overclock the shit out of them to get them up to par... This was the most expensive card I've bought since my 9700 Pro @ $300... Some of you are cool, most of you are posers and dweebs.... that will never know what I do, I hate to dis people but I have never seen anything like this... Good luck all, wish the best and hope for the most for all of you. Too many kids here for me.

You would probably get better responses if you're posts didn't sound so juvenile. Just a suggestion.

it doesn't really matter that yer CPU is running at 4000MHz if yer memory bandwidth is 7000mb/s cause that will slow down your Video...

Really?

So if I'm following most of you guys... A guy that uses LN2 to cool his crazy QX9770 to 7.0GHz and then usese Sandra to benchmark is a loser... Is that right?? Sorry, I missed the point of overclocking, I'm sure glad you guys are alive to straighten me out... thanks... Seems alot of you have the green eyed monster biting your heels. I'm more interested in Power and speed, guess I'm in the wrong forum.

Well if you cant run that QX9770 24/7 at that speed to enjoy it then wtf is the point?

Well if you cant run that QX9770 24/7 at that speed to enjoy it then wtf is the point?

Not saying I do it guy, just that some do, and maybe you shouldn't hate them for it or when they talk about it... isn't there some school you could shoot up instead? heh heh

Try again over at XS. They'll be more receptive, at least initially... Then you'll say something blatantly false and they'll happily pick you apart just as several here have. The attitude isn't helping; drop it and contribute or go elsewhere.

Not saying I do it guy, just that some do, and maybe you shouldn't hate them for it or when they talk about it... isn't there some school you could shoot up instead? heh heh

Don't hate em but at times I think its rather pointless. But yes go over to xs, given your attitude I think you might fit right in over there.

Ive seen some benchmarks where two 4870 1gb cards got slightly higher fps than a 4870x2 2gb. I didnt pay attention to the clock rates on the cards but other than that, would two cards be better than a x2?

Rig in my signature but with a stock 4870x2 ( I replaced it with a single 4870 ) I get 22-23k depending on the drivers in 3dmark06.

Ive seen some benchmarks where two 4870 1gb cards got slightly higher fps than a 4870x2 2gb. I didnt pay attention to the clock rates on the cards but other than that, would two cards be better than a x2?

the test that I have seem both sets are about equal, but it depends on the case, buying brand new, I would choose the x2, but i I had a 1gb 4870 than I would add another, I had a 512mb, and choose the x2, because gaming at 2560x1600 I need all the memory I could get my hands on,

by the way would look to try some LN, one day :D

to some anything can be a waste, is who you ask, beautiful world ;)

sam

They're almost always clocked higher individually -- cooling 2 chips with a dual slot cooler well is obviously much more difficult than cooling one chip with same cooler. ;)

They're almost always clocked higher individually -- cooling 2 chips with a dual slot cooler well is obviously much more difficult than cooling one chip with same cooler. ;)

One of the reviews I was talking about is here: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2009/01/23/sapphire-ati-radeon-hd-4850-x2-2gb/3

Notice on the test page that they are the same clocks. This was with the 8.xx drivers, Id like to see these same cards with the newest drivers but I guess in the end it all depends on the drivers and games. I just find it interesting to see that two 4870 1gb's out perform one 4870x2 2gb in almost all those tests from 1920x1200 res and up.

Also note that in examples like the review of the HIS ATI Radeon HD 4870 1GB IceQ4+ Turbo which is clocked higher than stock, it out performs the 4870 1gb consistantly which should also out perform an x2 if two IceQ4+'s were xfired. So if your looking for the highest synth scores and fps in games you should go for two higher clocked cards or stock and oc which should then outperform an x2, maybe even an oc'ed x2, if your looking for the best 4870 experience id imagine. Plus you dont have to deal with an enormous card in your system. The size of the x2 to me is amazing.

The flaming and trolling in this thread are an excellent example of how not to post, and it's getting old. If you just want to threadcrap, you're not going to last very long here. I'll also add that responding to trolls is just as bad as trolling in the first place. Ignore them. They won't get the attention they want, and will soon vanish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back