Just got my 20wmgx2, one dead pixel :(

ap3rtis

Limp Gawd
I'm wondering if I should return it until I get one without a dead pixel. It's in the top right of the screen, about an inch from the top and an inch from the right. :( I figure with what it cost me...
What would you guys do?

If you bought it in store it probably won't be much of a hassle to return it and get a new one. It really depends on how much it bothers you.

where did you get it from? I know Newegg's policy is you need to have more than 8 or something like that. But if you could return it, you should.

best buy is the easiest place to return things to (at least from my experience), they never test it and all they do is ask why you're returning it, my friend returned a tv that worked perfectly fine that he used for over a month and they didn't ask any questions so you should be fine.

best buy is the easiest place to return things to (at least from my experience), they never test it and all they do is ask why you're returning it, my friend returned a tv that worked perfectly fine that he used for over a month and they didn't ask any questions so you should be fine.

I'd say the exact opposite. Best Buy has been awful for me :(

If it was Costco, I'd say go for a swaperoo.

When I opened the box of my 20WMGX2 the first thing I saw was a flyer saying if anything is wrong the owner is to call NEC and not the seller. Not sure how that works out with a dead pixel. I have read NEC is service good. Did you run pixel tests or you can just see it?

thanks guys, I will defiantly try to exchange it. I'm just anal about these things and I know it will bug the hell out of me lol. The monitor looks great though, no worries there.

When I opened the box of my 20WMGX2 the first thing I saw was a flyer saying if anything is wrong the owner is to call NEC and not the seller. Not sure how that works out with a dead pixel. Did you run pixel tests or you can just see it?

I ran a pixel checker, and picked it up. I also saw that flyer, but I really don't want to go through the hassle of dealing with NEC. Bestbuy's policy says 14 days if you are not satisfied with a monitor. I'll be able to get a new one much quicker that way.

update:
took it back no hassles, ordered a new one. This one also has a stuck pixel, but I am going to try and unstick it with the various methods. The location is not as bad this time, it's more in the bottom right part of the screen, I shouldn't notice it as much down there. Hopefully I can fix it though, I'm tired of returning monitors lol.

update:
took it back no hassles, ordered a new one. This one also has a stuck pixel, but I am going to try and unstick it with the various methods. The location is not as bad this time, it's more in the bottom right part of the screen, I shouldn't notice it as much down there. Hopefully I can fix it though, I'm tired of returning monitors lol.
-15% restocking fee though, right?

I used to return used time cards to Best Buy. :D The reason I stopped is because I quit playing WoW, LOL. Account is and has never been banned.

update:

Oh, i went thru the same hassle you went thru to get a good 20WMGX2. I went thru FIVE before I finally found a good one.

One thing about this screen is that sometimes there looks to be a dead pixel when really its not. I remember 2 of them that i thought was a dead pixel, but now that I have seen other monitors with dead pixels, it turns out that those two just had a piece of dust or something with the opticlear coating.

I'm sure you know the difference, but just some food for thought.

update:

I thought I had a dead pixel too and it was dust. A spec looks just like a dead pixel on the clear glossy finish.

To me a dead pixel is minor and I would never have returned a monitor for 1. Stuck pixels however I don't like at all - not even one - especially on something new. Maybe that store
got a bad batch. I read about some pixels probs on NEC but not to much. I would use it a week or more depending on time to exchange and then get another one. I don't know if it's true byt I have read those unsticking progs can cause new stuck pixels as well so be careful. Maybe try the wet cloth and circular massage first. This monitor burns in nice too so maybe a week of use might get things smoothed out. I'll take a dozen dead pixels before I take a stuck one.

Lol I have seen dust and thought it was a stuck pixel, but I can tell the difference now haha. There defiantly is one there, but it's alot harder to see than the previous one, I think it matches the color of what's around it better than the last one. Hopefully it fixes itself that would be nice lol.
'

So will NEC exchange monitors for dead pixels? There are no retail stores near me that carry them. :(

little update:
I decided I'm going to keep the new one. I know there is a stuck pixel on the monitor, but it's soooooooooo hard to see. It's like you have to be less than an inch from the screen and looking on an angle or something lol. I can't see it from where I am sitting now (about 2 feet back), and I have a really really hard time finding it if I'm up close. Peices of dust on the monitor look way more like stuck pixels than the actual thing, so no real worries. The other one was terrible though, you could see it so easily. All in all, I'm very satisfied. This monitor looks great!

Question for anyone out there. What brick and mortar retailers sell this NEC 20mxgx2 monitor? I would like to be able to view the screen in store before buying one. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I wanted to do the same thing and bought one at Best Buy. The problem was they don't seem to keep it in most stores. On the Best Buy site you can use a zip code to check what stores near you have display in stock. Near me only one of the 12 closest stores had it and that was an hour away in Jersey. But the minute I saw it with the macro flower shot screensaver I knew I was getting it.

Circuit City also seels monitor but they don't keep it in the store and you order it off their site.

Thanks for the information. I would really like to see one of these in a retail store for comparison purposes.

Back