Just got eMachines M6805

NooNe

Limp Gawd
I have some questions about it. First of all after removing some software and changing some things i noticed that under system it said my computer was running at 793mhz. Later it would change to 1.59ghz and later to 1.80ghz but now its back to 793mhz. Is it really running at this speed? What causes this?

I also need help configuring the Broadcom 54g MaxPerformance 802.11g. I have the Linksys BEFW11S4 Wireless Router. I have the laptop right next to the router and it doesnt connect to it. I have changed the cards settings to the router's chanell and its ssid but it just wont connect no matter what i do. My other computer with the linksys wireless card runs fine and picks up a connection. Can anyone help me set it up? Thanks

In "Control Panel", go to "Power Options" and set your power scheme to "Always On".
Some people have had to reboot for the change to take affect, I did not. You should now be running at 793 mhz on batt and 1.80 ghz on power.

As for the wireless setup....

Most importantly, you MUST hit the function (FN) key and F2 to enable the wireless receiver function for the card. The little "e" should lit up, which will be directly to the right of the blue led indicating you are plugged in to AC power.
Check that first, if not......

1) Are you running any type of encryption?
2) Do you have any MAC address access setup?
3) Do you have all the latest XP service packs installed?

ahh i never hit FN + F2 to turn the wireless receiver on. Now it works.

Ok i changed my power options to always on and it went back to 1.80ghz. When i run off the battery the laptop will change its speed to 793mhz? Why? Is there any way to stop this? Thanks a bunch

From what I understand so far, and I DO reserver the right to be horribly wrong, is the following:

1. The m6805 is supposed to clock down to that speed (793 mhz) to conserve battery life.

2. The m6805 is supposed to increase the clock speed (from 793 mhz) while on battery according to what it feels is required, but due to some bug in the BIOS or something, that feature does not work correctly. eMachines is aware of the problem and is working on it (so i hear).

3. You can overclock, while on AC power or on batt using a program such as clockgen, and adjust for this problem yourself until there is a permanent fix.

Back