Just got BENQ Fp241VW

ID64

n00b
Still unpacking :) Pictures later. Unless there is a thread already about this model, I couldn't find it.

PIctures :)

img1425lf7.jpg

Looks great!

img1424vj2.jpg

Screen quality is flawless - no dead/stuck pixels, no light bleed.

img1426cj3.jpg

Well, PERFECT MOTION is PERFECTLY HORRIBLE ;) flickers like hell. I don't see any benefit of using, unless you want to get a disability insurance ;)

BenQ said:
PerfectMotion heralds a new era for LCD monitors by eliminating ghosting and motion blur around the screen edges—for a clearly superior viewing experience with all types of video content.

Clearly superior.

I'm finding the text too fuzzy on my 24" monitor and am wondering if it's a size thing.
(ps with clearType on)

ClearType makes text fuzzy. Turn it off. There is another Windows option besides ClearType that you should try turning off as well. I believe it is something like "smooth edges of screen fonts". Assuming you're using a DVI cable, all LCD monitors should have the same "perfect" sharpness at their native resolution.

If it's turned off, the text is very, very thin :(

Almost have to squint to read it :confused:

(esp small text, such as used in outlook express)

No ghosting. It performs a bit better than my previous Benq
img0260resizelj6.jpg

Better contrast ratio

ClearType makes text fuzzy. Turn it off. There is another Windows option besides ClearType that you should try turning off as well. I believe it is something like "smooth edges of screen fonts". Assuming you're using a DVI cable, all LCD monitors should have the same "perfect" sharpness at their native resolution.

Funny. I think text without ClearType or the "smooth edges.." option gets much worse. I can't even imagine not using it.

Funny. I think text without ClearType or the "smooth edges.." option gets much worse. I can't even imagine not using it.
Sharper, even jagged, yes. But smoothing = blurring, which is the issue. That's a topic for another thread, however.

I'd like to hear more about the Perfect Motion flickering. It sounds like it is worse than a 60Hz CRT.

Sharper, even jagged, yes. But smoothing = blurring, which is the issue. That's a topic for another thread, however.

I'd like to hear more about the Perfect Motion flickering. It sounds like it is worse than a 60Hz CRT.

much worse :(

Do you have a Xbox 360 and/or PS3 you could try with it? Could you post some screen shots of games on those and check for overscan / 1:1 problems?

Do you have a Xbox 360 and/or PS3 you could try with it? Could you post some screen shots of games on those and check for overscan / 1:1 problems?

It suffers from the same overscan/1:1 issue as the W, WZ models. (with component and VGA)

Brook, text on that site (and text in general on this monitor) is superb. There is no pinkish fuzz or anything like you mentioned.

Any of the supposed blackout problems?

Luckily for me, no. No blackout problems. Although, I never bothered to use the DVI cable that came included and instead just used the cable I was using previously.

Brook, text on that site (and text in general on this monitor) is superb. There is no pinkish fuzz or anything like you mentioned.

Do you have clearType switched on? If not please switch it on and test for me.

Right mouse click > properties > appearance > effects > use the following method to smooh edges of font > ClearType

Thanks!

Do you have clearType switched on? If not please switch it on and test for me.

Right mouse click > properties > appearance > effects > use the following method to smooh edges of font > ClearType

Thanks!
Yep, I use ClearType.

Luckily for me, no. No blackout problems. Although, I never bothered to use the DVI cable that came included and instead just used the cable I was using previously.

That's really good to hear, I just bought a FP241WZ so I would like to think it wont have it either. Just out of curiosity, what's your manufactured date?

I am also using DVI cable from my previous ViewSonic and no blackout problems

For people who have had zero blackout problems, how long have you had your monitor? Or even better, how many hours has your monitor been on (roughly)?

Good question Pete, also.. I'm curious since ID64 mentioned this. Does changing/upgrading your DVI cable resolve the issue or were you just mentioning that? Seems like it could be a pretty logical solution.

I'm also planning to buy the fp241vw, to use it with my Playstation3. But I recently heard from someone that although the monitor is great with most of the games, it has problems when working with 1080p games, which are not so many right now but will be more in the future. So have you had any chance of connecting it to a ps3?

Whats the height in inches from the surface to the bottom of the display. Seem to cant find this info anywhere.

For my hitachi Crt the height from the surface of the desk is 5.25" so i'm trying to get an idea how high the bottom of the display on the fp241vw is.

thanks

Back