just got a macbook, question about mice

i just got a new macbook pro and i had a question. i was looking to get a mouse for it but i didn't know if i had to get a apple usb mouse or if it was ok for me to just use one of my logitech laptop mice that i had laying around. i just didn't know if it was going to mess up my os or have a conflict of drivers.

also i'm new to macs and would love to learn more about them.. can someone point me in the direction to some mac forums where i can really learn about them some more. i'm mainly looking into more in depth info. (i know a good bit about pcs and i'm just trying to broading my knowledge)

the usb mouse won't mess up your OS, but you may encounter driver issues with your logitech mouse if its not supported. you can shop around for a bluetooth/usb mouse, just read the specs and see if it supports OS X.

you can try macrumors. there are a lot of new mac users posting questions that may be of use to you. as well as veteran mac users that can answer your questions.

ANY, I repeat, ANY USB mouse/keyboard will work. Don't get it in your head that just because its a Mac, you have to be picky with even simple things like a mouse.

Do you know what the U in USB stands for?

BTW, if I had a question like that, the first thing I would have done would be to just plug one in and see...

Basic functionality will virtually always work. Extra buttons beyond 3 buttons + scroll and/or other non-standard stuff will probably require a Mac driver/software to take advantage of it. The buttons are enumerated properly, but may be meaningless without custom software that's usually included on the CD for Windows to apply some functionality.

ANY, I repeat, ANY USB mouse/keyboard will work. Don't get it in your head that just because its a Mac, you have to be picky with even simple things like a mouse.

Do you know what the U in USB stands for?

BTW, if I had a question like that, the first thing I would have done would be to just plug one in and see...

wow in over two and a half years on this forum of asking question...this is the first smart@$$ answer i have ever had. so sorry for being curious about my new laptop and not wanting to mess it up

2.7 years and you don't know that just plugging in a mouse isn't going to "mess it up"?

FWIW, I wasn't trying to be a smart-ass. I was being serious.

2.7 years and you don't know that just plugging in a mouse isn't going to "mess it up"?

FWIW, I wasn't trying to be a smart-ass. I was being serious.

so your saying im stupid cause i wanted to know more about a machine that i just spent my own money on, and wanted to know if it would mess it up cause i like taking care of my machines. so go be a smartass somewhere else

I've used both my Logitech MX revolution, Logitech MX 1000, and Microsoft InteliExplorer 3.0 with out any problems.

The logitech software makes for some neat interactions (IE mapping expose and spaces to the various extra buttons.

My fiance has a bluetooth Logitech hooked up and enjoys that also... Does what she needs w/o any problems.

hmm *looks over at the USB dock thats connected on one port to her shiny new Macbook Pro 13"*

and lookie there, a Razer Diamondback mouse, a Logitech Illuminated Keyboard, a couple of USB HDD's, a set of Logitech USB speakers, and a USB headset...nope no worries when I plugged the hub in....lol

Oh and FWIW...I also spent *my* money on my Macbook Pro and like to take care of such things :p

i just got a new macbook pro and i had a question. i was looking to get a mouse for it but i didn't know if i had to get a apple usb mouse or if it was ok for me to just use one of my logitech laptop mice that i had laying around. i just didn't know if it was going to mess up my os or have a conflict of drivers.

also i'm new to macs and would love to learn more about them.. can someone point me in the direction to some mac forums where i can really learn about them some more. i'm mainly looking into more in depth info. (i know a good bit about pcs and i'm just trying to broaden my knowledge)

Don't worry about the less-than-constructive comments. Logitech has had a pretty good relationship with Apple and it's virtually certain that drivers allowing for full compatibility exist. In all likelihood, even without drivers, you will have at least minimal functionality by just plugging the thing in. Give it a shot!

Back