Just got 360. What good RPGs

USMC2Hard4U

Supreme [H]ardness
I know the PS3 is king for RPGs but what is a good RPG for the 360?

I need something to kill the time until XIII comes out

PS3 has much fewer RPG's than the 360 this gen. PS2 is the king of RPG

For 360 though

Lost Odyssey
Tales of Vesperia
Blue Dragon
Mass Effect
Eternal Sonata
Last Remnant

PS3 has much fewer RPG's than the 360 this gen.

Maybe back in 2008... the momentum has certainly changed.

Demon's Souls and Valkyrie Chronicles, two of the best RPGs this generation, are PS3 exclusive.

Tales of Vesperia is out in Japan and should get a US release soon. Eternal Sonata has already been ported to PS3.
White Knight Chronicles is due in 2 months. Final Fantasy Versus XIII and Final Fantasy 14

Last Remnant was panned, I wouldn't expect a port. Star Ocean 4 is coming, it might even be above 510p ! Mass Effect has major performance issues, play it on PC.

So that leaves Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey as the big exclusive X360 only RPGs.

Last edited:
Another vote for Tales of Vesperia and Mass Effect. both excellent games well worth your time.

Fallout 3 and Dragon Age are also great, but honestly, you should probably just pick them up for PC.

Demon's Souls and Valkyrie Chronicles, two of the best RPGs this generation, are PS3 exclusive.

Tales of Vesperia is out in Japan and should get a US release soon. Eternal Sonata has already been ported to PS3.
White Knight Chronicles is due in 2 months. Final Fantasy Versus XIII and Final Fantasy 14

Last Remnant was panned, I wouldn't expect a port. Star Ocean 4 is coming, it might even be above 510p ! Mass Effect has major performance issues, play it on PC.

So that leaves Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey as the big exclusive X360 only RPGs.

So in other words, you agree with me that the 360 has more rpgs. Good job.

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Fallout 3
Mass Effect
Fable 2 (It was fun for a while)
Bioshock (RPG-esque)

Heard from friends that Dragon Age is a great game as well.

Say what? Mass Effect doesn't have any "major performance issues" on 360, what are you smoking?

It's certainly true that PS3 has done some catching up, but come on, FF14? Are you kidding? It's an effing MMO, it's not even a real FF game.

I did on the pc, lol. Pile of crap port with fps all over the place. Figures I may as well play it on 360. That anand fallout 3. I hate that I bought them on pc and will never play them on it tho. :(

So in other words, you agree with me that the 360 has more rpgs. Good job.

Also:

Fable 2
Infinite Undiscovery
PS3 has much fewer RPG's than the 360 this gen. PS2 is the king of RPG

For 360 though

Lost Odyssey
Blue Dragon
Mass Effect
Last Remnant

I took out the games that were on both systems.

For the PS3 exclusives off the top of my head (ie, the games I own):
Folklore (action jrpg)
Disgaea 3 (strategy jrpg)
Demon's Souls
Valkyria Chronicles

So with all our lists combined, the 360 leads by a one game. Also I feel somewhat burned that all 360 "exclusives" (not just rpgs) I seem to buy keep getting ported to PS3 with bug fixes or more content (see: Eternal Sonata, Tales of Vespera, and Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, luckily I held off on Star Ocean 4).

You didn't notice any slow downs or the massive texture pop-in ?
What are you smoking ?

That was actually present in the PC version too, along with the massively long elevators.

It's ridiculous. People laud Bioware for making improvements to the PC version but (as an owner of both) it's very clear to me that the PC version was a straight up port with almost no tweaking for the advantages of a PC UI. My biggest grip: the much improved inventory system for the PC was still a pain in the ass.

Not that I didn't like the game (I did buy it twice, after all).

You should let me borrow the 360 version so I don't have to make rhw same mistake. :)

No, in terms of quantity, it's about tied.

If you look at quality, PS3 has the decisive edge.

Really? The decisive edge? I can think of 2 PS3 RPG exclusives that are good - Valkyria Chronicles and Demon's Souls. Not exactly a huge edge there.

Really? The decisive edge? I can think of 2 PS3 RPG exclusives that are good - Valkyria Chronicles and Demon's Souls. Not exactly a huge edge there.

Only RPGs I've bought for the ps3. (still have to get around to playing these...)

You didn't notice any slow downs or the massive texture pop-in ?
What are you smoking ?

Certainly I noticed a lot of texture pop-in, something that happens in a LOT of games on both 360 and PS3. Why? Because they're low-end hardware trying to run high-end games with far too little memory.

As for slowdown, no, I didn't experience significant slowdown in any part of the game, unless you're referring to the amazingly slow elevators, which were basically the "load screen".

Certainly I noticed a lot of texture pop-in, something that happens in a LOT of games on both 360 and PS3. Why? Because they're low-end hardware trying to run high-end games with far too little memory.

As for slowdown, no, I didn't experience significant slowdown in any part of the game, unless you're referring to the amazingly slow elevators, which were basically the "load screen".

This and neither of them ruined the gameplay experience

But they're both A list games.

YMMV but Lost Odyssey or Blue Dragon have zero appeal to me. In fact, there isn't a single X360 exclusive RPG aside from Mass Effect that I'd want to play. That is If ME even counts since the PC has the superior version and ME2 will likely go multi-platform. I didn't even really like ME that much. Not as much as Bioware's early stuff. They still haven't come close to Baldur's Gate 2 in my mind.

Demon's Souls is one of the best RPGs I've played in many years, it's a gem.
Valkyrie Chronicles, while not my favorite, has been universally applauded.
Nobody raves about X360 RPG exclusives that way. PS3 has higher quality RPGs. I stand by that comment.

But they're both A list games.

YMMV but Lost Odyssey or Blue Dragon have zero appeal to me. In fact, there isn't a single X360 exclusive RPG aside from Mass Effect that I'd want to play. That is If ME even counts since the PC has the superior version and ME2 will likely go multi-platform. I didn't even really like ME that much. Not as much as Bioware's early stuff. They still haven't come close to Baldur's Gate 2 in my mind.

Demon's Souls is one of the best RPGs I've played in many years, it's a gem.
Valkyrie Chronicles, while not my favorite, has been universally applauded.
Nobody raves about X360 RPG exclusives that way. PS3 has higher quality RPGs. I stand by that comment.

PS3 has very few RPG's, and until the last several months they were woefully behind what 360 has. In either case though, this generation in its ENTIRETY has been pathetic for RPG's, coming nowhere close to even the SNES, much less the PS2.

Frankly, I find this generation's game content to be largely underwhelming.

This and neither of them ruined the gameplay experience
You know, now that I think about it, I don't think the FPS drops on the PC ruined my experience. I just don't care for non FPS games on PC. Unless it's frantic, stressful, or fast paced, I find myself wondering what in the heck I'm doing sitting in a chair w/ arms up like it's school time! I'm playing GAMES, I want to plop down on a couch in front of a big TV and get as horizontal as possible!

I did like Oblivion, but I quit playing on PC and never figured out why. I tried it again briefly on the 360 and really, really enjoyed it. For a long time, I couldn't figure out what it was, but now I know. :D

So going back to the thread's title, which oddly enough doesn't have the letters "PS3" in it anywhere...if you were to name the top 3 Xbox 360 RPG's, what would they be and have you played them?

My list:

1. Mass Effect - barely played, but loved the story!
2. Fallout 3 - i was told it's Oblivion w/ guns...and I liked oblivion (the 4 hours I spent on it)
3. <---RPG n00b, right here!!!

I am a fan of all the RPGs that look like anime. I suppose I should have specified. Like Final Fantasy etc.. not like Fallout or Oblivion....

Frankly, I find this generation's game content to be largely underwhelming.

Hardcore RPGs seem less popular than ever. I like party and solo, turn based, pause/real time, and now, the action RPG genre since buying Demon's Souls. What an innovative game, I hesitate to put it into any category.

I like any RPG with intricate combat and character role playing/progression. But don't enjoy on rails, angsty teen themed RPGs like Final Fantasy, or any other RPG where your fate is basically cast from the beginning and the game is linear. After all the buzz, I gave FF X on PS2 a shot and quit, bored to tears, after 3 hours.

I've always liked Phantasy Star. Sega needs to make a new entry for the HD consoles. I think it's still a good IP.

Hardcore RPGs seem less popular than ever. I like party and solo, turn based, pause/real time, and now, the action RPG genre since buying Demon's Souls. What an innovative game, I hesitate to put it into any category.

I like any RPG with intricate combat and character role playing/progression. But don't enjoy on rails, angsty teen themed RPGs like Final Fantasy, or any other RPG where your fate is basically cast from the beginning and the game is linear. After all the buzz, I gave FF X on PS2 a shot and quit, bored to tears, after 3 hours.

I've always liked Phantasy Star. Sega needs to make a new entry for the HD consoles. I think it's still a good IP.

I could get behind Phantasy Star, and generally I agree, particularly about Final Fantasy, that it's a fine example of mediocrity. As far as I'm concerned, FF III SNES (VI, really, but whatever) was the best of the FF games, and it's largely been down hill from there. I will say that the *story* of 10 was excellent-unfortunately the game itself sucked.

Dude, best RPGs for 360:

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion, One of the most epic RPGs of this generation
Fallout 3, Just like Oblivion, except with guns:D
Fable 2, It's alright, but I wouldn't put it in the same level as the first 2, but it is fun and very animated and some of the achievements are just rediculous;)

Ugh, crazy fanboys have taken over again. The dude has a 360, quit hijacking his thread! No one ever asked or cares about what console has what exclusives.

With that said -- Dragon Age Origins! I can't believe it's only barely been mentioned on this thread. Go buy it right now -- come back after you play it for 60+ hours -- that game owns. I've been playing it on 360 and can't put it down -- about 50 hours in myself.

Ugh, crazy fanboys have taken over again. The dude has a 360, quit hijacking his thread! No one ever asked or cares about what console has what exclusives.

With that said -- Dragon Age Origins! I can't believe it's only barely been mentioned on this thread. Go buy it right now -- come back after you play it for 60+ hours -- that game owns. I've been playing it on 360 and can't put it down -- about 50 hours in myself.

+1 for Dragon Age

Tales of Vesperia was the only JRPG on the 360 that I truly loved. Star ocean 4 is good if you are a fan of the series, probably average if not but the graphics are nice.

As a new console owner an noobie to RPG's, I'm really pumped about getting into a new genre! That said, I think this topic needs a better chance to thrive wo/ all the console comparisons that detract from the 360 RPG discussion. Today or tomorrow, I'll throw up a new thread w/ poll. So here's the list I have so far:

Blue Dragon
Dragon Age
Eternal Sonata
Fable 2
Fallout 3
Infinite Undiscovery
Last Remnant
Lost Odyssey
Mass Effect
Oblivion
Star Ocean
Tales of Vesperia

Of those 12, only 10 will fit into a "Best RPG poll" so 2 need to be dropped. As I'm a super RPG n00b, I don't feel comfortable dropping any, so that's what I'm asking you guys for. I'm also going to ask you guys to rank and/or give impressions on the one's you've played so that newcomers can get a better idea of what to play first.

Personally, I'm going to start with...

1. Oblivion
2. Mass Effect
3. Fallout 3

So looking @ that list, are there any to be added/replaced in the poll?

ommend Dragon Age it is fairly involved and a good way to pass your time.i I have never been a Final Fantasy fan, I am looking forward to Dante's and Darksiders but I'm getting the pS3 versions.I have both systems but I lean towards the PS3 for multi system games, mainly due to the high cost of going online for the XBOX.

Tales of Vesperia was the only JRPG on the 360 that I truly loved. Star ocean 4 is good if you are a fan of the series, probably average if not but the graphics are nice.

ToV is a good game indeed.

Back