Just got 12" iBook. General OSX questions.

Outrager

Gawd
I just got my 12" iBook with 20GB iPod. I really like the 4G iPod more than my old 3G iPod. And this iBook is my first laptop so I really don't have anything to compare it to. I don't really see any dead pixels on the LCD. It also gets kinda hot when on my lap for 30min or more. I hear the Powerbooks are even hotter :eek:

Anyway... I have a few questions since I'm more of a Windows person.
- How do I associate files with another program? (All movie files are associated with Quicktime, but Quicktime can't play DivX or XViD.)
- Can I install codecs for Quicktime?
- Can I maximize Safari so that it's like IE on Windows and takes up the whole screen?
- How do I uninstall programs like iMovie?
- How do I install X11? I need it for OpenOffice, but it asks for CD4 of Panther, but I don't have it (unless it's one of those recovery CDs that came with the iBook.)
- Do I need to pay for the Apple Remote Desktop to connect to my WinXPPro's Remote Desktop or does it come with the iBook?
- Are there any good sites that you can link me to to help me transition from Windows to OSX?

That's all I can think of for now. Thanks in advance. Now time to read all the old threads while I wait.

ibook_ipod.jpg

ibook1.jpg

ibook2.jpg

ibook3.jpg

ibook4.jpg

ibook5.jpg

ibook6.jpg

ibook7.jpg

ibook8.jpg

printernboxes.jpg

This is the free after $99 rebate printer that I got as well.
4gipod1.jpg

4gipod2.jpg

4gipod3.jpg

4gipod4.jpg

And these are pictures of the iPod versus my brother's Creative Zen and the case I use for the new iPod.

Outrager said:
- How do I associate files with another program? (All movie files are associated with Quicktime, but Quicktime can't play DivX or XViD.)
Context menu -> open with -> other... -> select app and choose "always open with"... Or, this one is better, get RCDefaultApps and fix it in there.
- Can I install codecs for Quicktime?
Probably, but you're better off just getting VLC or Mplayer.
- Can I maximize Safari so that it's like IE on Windows and takes up the whole screen?
I can't imagine why you would want to, but just drag it to the upper left corner and resize it to fill the screen.
- How do I uninstall programs like iMovie?
Move it to the trash. Why would you want to?
- How do I install X11? I need it for OpenOffice, but it asks for CD4 of Panther, but I don't have it (unless it's one of those recovery CDs that came with the iBook.)
Download it from Apple's website, I guess. But you don't need it for OpenOffice.
- Do I need to pay for the Apple Remote Desktop to connect to my WinXPPro's Remote Desktop or does it come with the iBook?
No idea. Check the readme?
- Are there any good sites that you can link me to to help me transition from Windows to OSX?
Yes, this one! ;)
Seriously though, no idea.

USMC2Hard4U said:
Can you take more pics of the ibook? :) I want to get one too :p
I'll get more later tonight after I go somewhere to fix someone's computer :D
You really need to have a Mac for a day before you can fully understand if you like it or not. Just going to a store or checking out a friend's for a few minutes isn't enough.
Also, I was going to ask how to organize my icons, but I just looked at the View menu :p

Wow, its so sleek and nice looking. See, I have never seen one in person so...

I however played with and temporarly owned a Mac G4 1.25Ghz with OSX so I know I like it.

Outrager said:

naa, just use this
works great for xp remote desktop and 2k&2k3 server terminal servers.

Black Morty Rackham said:
I can't imagine why you would want to, but just drag it to the upper left corner and resize it to fill the screen.
After using the iBook a little more, I now understand what you mean. The Maximize will make the window just big enough to fit everything you see.

logik said:
naa, just use this
works great for xp remote desktop and 2k&2k3 server terminal servers.
Thanks a lot! This is exactly what I was looking for. I wonder what would happen if I loaded up Doom 3..... :confused: :p

that is NOT something you want to do...(I have tried and it isn't a prety sight) but it does work quite well...I use it to remote into my system from work all the time

This might be more of a Windows question than an OSX question but, is it possible to remote to a Windows XP Professional machine and use it -simultaneously- with another user (one different than that which is logged into the machine locally)??

chrisfnet said:
This might be more of a Windows question than an OSX question but, is it possible to remote to a Windows XP Professional machine and use it -simultaneously- with another user (one different than that which is logged into the machine locally)??

I don't believe so...when you log in using MS RDC your PC will log out and anybody that is currently on it....I always have to log in if I have remote accessed my machine from work and I think that is something from the Windows side...there might be other apps that would allow you to do that but I don't know of any

chrisfnet said:

on xp no, only one account can be active at a time, the rest will just be locked.

on any of the servers, yes, but you should have a cal for every client depending on what licensing mode you chose..

Most of your question ahve been answered and congrats on a great looking machine. Run a google search on Divx and Xvid codes for Quicktime. They are pretty easy to find and work pretty well. If not then VLC is a great and free player which supports pretty much everything though not always fantastically well.

I know most of your questions have been answered but i thought i'd throw my two cents in on at least one of your quesitons. In regards to Apple remote desktop you might also want to look into Vnc (free!) i use an osx program called "chicken of the vnc" to connect to my main computer running xp and it works flawlessly. you won't get file transfering ability (like that has ever stopped me) but it's free and easily fits on even a lowly floppy disk. :cool:

-=jaz=- said:
I know most of your questions have been answered but i thought i'd throw my two cents in on at least one of your quesitons. In regards to Apple remote desktop you might also want to look into Vnc (free!) i use an osx program called "chicken of the vnc" to connect to my main computer running xp and it works flawlessly. you won't get file transfering ability (like that has ever stopped me) but it's free and easily fits on even a lowly floppy disk. :cool:
I heard of that on G4TechTV's The Screen Savers. I was going to look into it, but forgot.
Also, the more I use my iBook the more I really like it. Also, my PC's 19" screen seems too big now for some reason. haha... I just wish the viewing angle on the LCD was better.

On the question about concurrent sessions in remote on WindowsXP....

With SP2 you can do this. It doesn't work always, but it's worked fine for me. As long as you log in remotely with a username that differs from whomever is on, they won't even know that you are on the machine.

Works great for me, I use my windows box for a DL and File Server machine, and my roommate uses it once in a while for schoolwork and stuff. I never interrupt his working when I remote in from the living room.

Here's 3 more questions.
1) How do I have something start up when the OS loads like in a Windows StartUp menu (i.e. iChat)?
2) How do I delete forward? (The delete button on PCs delete forward compared to the Backspace button)
3) How do I switch between windows of the same program? (ie Safari sometimes has multiple windows open, but Apple+Tab doesn't switch between them)

1) How do I have something start up when the OS loads like in a Windows StartUp menu (i.e. iChat)?
System prefs > Accounts > Start-up items
Drag and drop iChat, or choose it from the add function.

2) How do I delete forward? (The delete button on PCs delete forward compared to the Backspace button)
I don't think the iBooks have a Delete [forward] button... But there is a rather easy fix; download the application Keyboard Maestro (versiontrack it or something), and configure ctrl backspace to forward delete or something. There is probably a better solution, but Keyboard Maestro is good for mapping the function keys and such to control the computer anyway, so you might as well get it.

3) How do I switch between windows of the same program? (ie Safari sometimes has multiple windows open, but Apple+Tab doesn't switch between them)
Cmd tab switches between applications, not windows. You can set any keyboard shortcut you like in the System prefs > keyboard & mouse > keyboard shortcuts to switch foremost window, but the default is cmd <, I think.

Delete forward is actually already in the OS.
Just press function (fn) and delete when on a laptop. On a desktop there's already a delete forward key under the help key.

Deific said:
Delete forward is actually already in the OS.
Just press function (fn) and delete when on a laptop. On a desktop there's already a delete forward key under the help key.
Thanks.

Next question: Is it possible to close the LCD down without putting the iBook into sleep mode?

To answer the lcd lid question. yes its possible. no you dont want to do it unless youre positive of the screens brightness being completely down. The way i know of doing this is through a wifi packet sniffing program called KisMac, its one of the prefs available for that app.

BUT in order to do this you will be needing to void your warranty as you would have to bypass the reed switch that tells the comp that the lid is closed and to go to sleep...and to get to that you have to take the top case off IIRC (it has been a while since I had to strip one of these down)

Sounds like too much work for something I thought would be simple. Oh well... I just thought if I could turn off the sleep feature it would make transporting my iBook from room to room without being kicked offline when I close the lid.

You can solve that with a small piece of metal wrapped in tape attached to the magnet that activates the sleep. It's somewhere on the right side of the monitor on the 12" PB. :p

Probably not recomended, really, but if you turn down the brightness to zero and don't do heavy work while doing it, I don't think it'll hurt it.

Outrager said:
Here's 3 more questions.

To answer your last question Outrager, the command to switch between windows of the same program is Apple+ ~ (<-- squiggly line) the one just above the tab button. That should do it for most programs.

eL c0L0mb1aNo said:
To answer your last question Outrager, the command to switch between windows of the same program is Apple+ ~ (<-- squiggly line) the one just above the tab button. That should do it for most programs.
Hey, it works. Thanks.

Now how do I maximize, restore, and minimize using the keyboard?

I just discovered the "Speech" function in OSX. Not that it's really useful to me, I like the fact I can have my iBook perform tasks while I use my PC (mmm, large monitor needed for work occasionally) to work.

Back