Just get a pci-e adapter?

GonzoP

2[H]4U
OK so my neighbor is a super cheapsake. Against my advice he bought a Dell Studio pc from the dent and ding site.
The system is a Q8300, 6GB DDR2, 640GB HDD, 1 DVDRW,
Off the record I dont think I could have built what he has for the same $$, mostly because he did get it with Win 7 and it cost him a total of $429 I believe he said.

So the situation is this, now he wants to drop a 5770 in the system but the PSU does not have a pci-e connector. So immediately I suggest the 400CX because I know how cheap he is. He counters that while the Dell PSU is rated at 350W that Dell rates them low and that his PSU actually has 28A on the 12v rail. [Which it does]. So we put all his components into the Antec PSUengine and according to it he only needs like 238w or so. The 400CX only has 2A more on the 12v and he says rather than spending $50 on a PSU that is basically the same as the one has, he should get a $4 molex to pci-e adapter.
I also tried the just get a 4670 line with him. Nope. He wants to do some gaming and he believes the low power consumption of the 5770 will be ok for this PSU. Mathematically Im questioning if he isnt right? And if so are those molex to pci-e adapters legit?

don't the cards already come with a molex- 6pin adapter?

It would be cutting it close, but 350w should be fine. Although, if his power supply does die and fry something along the way (costing him more in the long run), at least you can say "I told you so".

Cheap bastard.

don't the cards already come with a molex- 6pin adapter?

It would be cutting it close, but 350w should be fine. Although, if his power supply does die and fry something along the way (costing him more in the long run), at least you can say "I told you so".

Cheap bastard.

I hadnt actually checked but yes you're right.

How cheap is he... he re-gifted what I got him last year to someone else this year :rolleyes:

Ok then I guess I'll tell him to chance it

I hadnt actually checked but yes you're right.

How cheap is he... he re-gifted what I got him last year to someone else this year :rolleyes:

Ok then I guess I'll tell him to chance it

Yikes, I think he may be better off buying a PSU to cover that watts. I'm not a big fan of chancing it. Because then they may forget and add those extra hard drives they got for christmas. WHOOPS.

By the way Re-gifters can DIAF!

He should be fine. The 5770 is a pretty low-power video card, and the PSUs Dell includes with their machines are generally decent.

He should be fine. The 5770 is a pretty low-power video card, and the PSUs Dell includes with their machines are generally decent.

Ok I think he's going to punch his ticket then. I was half way thinking about kicking him my EA650 and upgrading my own PSU until I saw my gift to him last year at someone else's Christmas party last weekend. I sorta laughed but he really is a cheapskate.

Back