Just formatted my windows drive, now Windows wants to format my storage drive?

toga2

n00b
As the title says I just formatted the drive that contains windows, and now that I have it reinstalled when I try to access the other storage drive I have installed it wants to format it! It says it's "RAW" and unpartitioned now. WTF? Is there anything I can do to retrieve the data from it or do I have to format it to be able to use it? During setup I only formatted drive C: which was my windows drive so I don't understand why I can't access the other drive now.

Can you boot another machine with your storage drive as the slave and copy your data off of that? I once used fdisk from Gentoo LiveCD to re-partition a HD that had data on 3 primary partitions into having the first partition being the only setup (didnt re-size partition though) then a few days later, I used fdisk again to re-create the partitions as before and everything worked fine, although I did keep track of the size of the partition so I would know where to start/end a partition. Maybe you can try this but I dont want you to risk dataloss :eek:

I don't really have another system to test it on. I have no clue why this is happening. Was there something I was supposed to do before formatting the windows drive? The only time Windows even detects the drive in "My Computer" is after I have attempted to reinstall the drive using Seagate's utilities. The utilities also want to format it though. This is insane. It's really not that much data - like 20 GB max I believe but there were a lot of songs and movies on there that I really want to keep :(

If you don't have a machine to boot it with, maybe take it to a computer shop and see what they charge to copy your stuff onto DVD discs since I doubt there's anything Windows can do if it can't detect it's own file system.

Why do you think this would have happened? This is ridiculous, damn.....

you probably deleted all the partitions on the all your drives when you installed windows.

did u try to reactivite the drive under my computer>manage>

Back