Just came across a fixer up Pc

PogueMahon

n00b
Well, me and a friend lost touch about 1.5 years ago, since i moved. A few days ago I was back in my old neighborhood and learned that he had passed away about a year ago (car accident).
I went to his home to tell him mom that I was sorry to hear what happened, she appreciated it, because she knew that we were friends for a long time. We practically grew up together, sleep-overs and camping trips in the boyscout, classmates, PC gaming, etc.

As I was about to leave she asked me if I wanted to take his old PC from the basement, as she said she had no use for it and would really like it gone. She explained that nobody had touched it for the whole time he has passed.

Unsure of what was there, I found a few boxes with parts and thought that was what she was talking about. I went upstairs with them to thank her and she said that wasn't the PC that was extra parts parts.
So she led me to the bottom of the stairs and pointed to a large black box in the corner, half covered with a tarp and a pair of jeans. I was like "oh, ok i will take any PC or parts that she wanted to get rid of," I think she was happy that someone could use them, also to get memories out of sight.

Well after uncovering the thing, I found a Mountain Mods Accession Case, and about 4 boxes of parts mostly parts to water-cooling. I called up my dad and said to come get me and bring the van, he came and saw the thing, I was putting in and he didn't believe me that the big case was a PC at all, and when I showed him the stuff inside, he was saying, "well it must be very very old and probably not worth the time to get it running."

It has:
a asus rampage ii mobo
8 hd's (4) 1 TB, (4) 500GB, (1) 500GB 10,000 drive
2 gtx 285's one watercooled other isnt, (separate WC loop) have block for other
cpu is a intel bloomfield i7, 3200mz (separate WC loop)
has 6Gb of ram
vista & xp 64 on it

While I was there (even though I know better) I did flip the power switch and it did start-up to the windows screen which was a shock to me.
Here are a few of the pics I took before bringing it home, sorry for the quality as it was from my cell phone.

I do plan on taking any info I find on the drives and put it onto DVD's of his mom – he always liked taking pictures of everything. Oh the side panels are there as well one still unopened.

IMAG0061.jpg
[/IMG]
I think I will stick with the black and red theme...

IMAG0058.jpg
[/IMG]
He has about 20 of those inline flow inductors, but only one actually in the system

IMAG0057.jpg
[/IMG]
Dust, dust, everywhere

IMAG0056.jpg

IMAG0055.jpg

IMAG0053.jpg

IMAG0052.jpg

Looks like he used those swivel connectors alot

IMAG0051.jpg

IMAG0050.jpg

IMAG0048.jpg

IMAG0047.jpg

Yeah, it is a double 360 on the top for the one video card, with 2 sets of fans.

IMAG0045.jpg

IMAG0044.jpg

IMAG0043.jpg

He has about 20 of those inline flow indicators, but only one actually in the system

IMAG0063.jpg

The right side

IMAG0062.jpg

Yeah and that's where the power supply is (bottom) and also a spot for another 360 radiator on back behind the HD's

Well I am going to fix this case, and probally get a new panel for the front from MountainMods. I mean who neds 10 5.25 bays on the front of a PC, I use only 3.

Like I said I also have like 4 boxes of misc parts from her as well. So most of the things I need either I have or he had.

This is what I am planning on doing to the case, any thoughts about the new rebuild please post, also if anyone see's any flaws with this design please let me know before i get started.

I do plan on adding/replacing

1 Front panel
3 580 FTW Hydro video cards
6-9 Hard Drive's
12GB ram
1 mobo, I will probally get a Asus rampage III (he liked asus) case can fit 2 mobo's
2 1000W PSU – he had both of them already (PC Power & Colling)
my copy of Win 7 Ultimate.

On google sketchup I did a rough idea of what I want to do to this thing. I did it in about an hour so everything is not perfect.

quick2.jpg

quick1.jpg

qucikdisconnectpccase.jpg

I was not sure if I was going to mount the fans on the (front) outside or inside the case. Cleaning the filters would be alot easier with them on the outside, who knows maybe with the reduced airflow from the dust filter's I might try and use inside and outside ones.

qucikdisconnectpccase5.jpg

qucikdisconnectpccase4.jpg

I hope that mounting those swiftech pumps in that orientation wont hurt them

qucikdisconnectpccase2.jpg

qucikdisconnectpccase1.jpg

that's great find...sorry about your friend...but you can put some kind of small tribute inside (picture , memento)...but I would refrain from turning it on until you tear it all down and do some cleaning...dust and dirt will kill pc stuff faster than a 5 year old and a peanut butter sandwich...I think your dad (no offence) missed the mark on his assessment , there is some pretty good gear there...have fun

that looks well planned, I'm sure your friend will be happy that the system will be put to good use.
personally I'd set aside all those drives. the "memories" disk sounds like a great idea.

C

Sorry about your friend. That's a sweet find though. Was all that dust from it just sitting out uncovered?

thx, for the comments,
Well I do plan on using those HD's just copying off the stuff that his mom would like, a few of them are still new with nothing on them, and they will do for now as extra storage drives.

The dust was from sitting a basement for about a year, its an old house and mostly everything down there has a layer on it.

I do know already that I will need a few things, those rads hardly have any flow going thru them, must be gunked up

so Ill need to get 3 of those
3 video cards if I ever see them out of stock everywhere (gtx 580 ftw)

Well I am guessing that there was no problems with the way I have the loops set up or the orientation of the pumps, so thats a good thing.

Sorry to hear about your friend. That is an awesome find though! I can't wait to see pictures of when it's done.

really sorry to hear about your friend. im sure he'd appreciate what youre doing with his rig, i know id rather mine goes to a fellow enthusiast when i die than sit in a basement or get thrown out.

you mentioned 2 motherboards, but i only see one in your sketchup drawing. is there supposed to be a second one in there somewhere?

I agree with everyone sending their condolences as I too send mine, The current computer of your friends is a powerhouse and i cant wait to see the finished product of your great planing.

you mentioned 2 motherboards, but i only see one in your sketchup drawing. is there supposed to be a second one in there somewhere?

Sorry for the misunderstanding but, i mentioned that it could fit 2 mobo;s, (I was trying to describe the size of the case) one on one side and one could fit another on the back of that on the side where the HD's are. So, I could have (2) separate PC's on one, but that's something I wouldn't be doing to this case.

I will go ahead and take it all apart this weekend if I can get the video cards I want.
Of course I will take some pictures, and post some of the completion.

Back