• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Just build a new PC...sort of

Phranq

Gawd
Joined
Jul 19, 2004
Messages
842
It's my first time, I think I've got the parts all in there good, well thought. I plugged in the computer and turned it on, the Power supply is buzzing at me, there are 3 fans on the inside of the case, none of them start up, the fan on the CPU doesn't start up nor do the 2 fans on the power supply...what could be wrong? would something hooked up wrong on the motherboard cause this possibly? I know I have the 2 main psu to mobo cords connected properly but past that I might have screwed something up.
 
Read the manual that came with the mobo...it should tell your where to connect all the cords, even the little ones
 
unplug PSU from mobo, Jump your PSU if it runs then your connectors suck. You can jump it by connecting pins 13 and 14 I think.... google it. don't take my word for it, i can't remember what wires to jump
 
Hmm, what he said, make sure you PSU isn't fucked. Also another common mistake on first builds is to make sure you put the right amount of spacers between the mobo and mobo tray, in all of their right positions.
 
Do spacers really have that much of a difference

uh..oh

Do i put the spacers in all the holes or just the ones that it came with

i.e : It came with 3 spacers and i added 2 more for more support

I'm having almost the same problem except mine turns on (the fans, hard drive,cd ) but absoulutely nothing on screen
 
DevilInside said:
Do spacers really have that much of a difference

uh..oh

Do i put the spacers in all the holes or just the ones that it came with

i.e : It came with 3 spacers and i added 2 more for more support

I'm having almost the same problem except mine turns on (the fans, hard drive,cd ) but absoulutely nothing on screen


*BUZZARD* Big mistake, only put enough spacers in that the board can handle (example, if your board has 8 holes for spacers, only put 8 spacers in, no more, no less). If you do not, then you can easily cause the board to short out, therefore not allowing you to power your pc...
 
Remove the unnecessary spacers that are behind the motherboard, they can short the motherboard.

~Adam
 
ASUS instructions are so cheap, they don't even mention spacers once in the whole manual. I'm all confused now...
 
Yes, it's diffcult to use the mobo installation guide most of the time, at least from my experience, rarely do they explain everything and if they do it's not in very good detail. Good luck :)

If that isn't your problem, I am almost positive it's your PSU
 
I took EVERYTHING back out except the CD drive and that's unplugged I put in spacers, the case came with 7 and there's spots for 9 so I just used the 7 and it's too late to start putting everything back in, I think I'm going to just get my friend's dad to help me now that it's all back in pieces.
 
Hmm, it's fairly simple to install everything, but then again it's your first build... Good Luck, hope it works
 
"Remove the board and sit it on a cardboard box, connect everything and try to boot."


That's about as useful as the motherboard manual, I can plug in the PSU to the motherboard and the hard drive, CD drive. RAM and video card is easy, processor is in there slid right in the heatsink/fan was a little tough it didn't want to clip on nicely, but it's good. So fans and the little tiny cords for the power button are all I might have wrong and err shouldn't the PSU still start up and the fans that are attached directly to it move?




Edit: I don't think it should make the noise it's making either...it's quite loud and nothing starts, I don't know if it's me or the PSU anymore, and my back hurts from bending over, lol.


Edit2: the little cords from the case that go to the motherboard like reset SW the colors don't match up at all according to the guide and I have a power SW cord and according to the manual it should be an ATX power, is that the same thing? I have an ATX psu but no ATX power one prong cord thing.


Edit: and one more bit of trouble that I/O shield thing does not want to fit at all, and of course there is no reference to it in the manual. If someone who knows a little about what they're doing could IM me on geethanksbud on AIM that'd be great I can get the digital camera even if I have to and take pictures of what I'm having trouble with.
 
Back
Top