• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Just bought canon sd940is

Roliath

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 2, 2005
Messages
2,914
So I'm going to be going to vegas in the next month, and m fujifilm p&s flash stopped popping up so it needed to be replaced.
I read many good things about the 780is, and I know its update was the 940is so I picked one up online. I'm pretty excited to get it and test it out, but I was curious to see what the h community thought about it.
I'm not a professional photographer, and I really wanted something that did 720p video plus had a wide angle lens.
Did i do good?
 
Last edited:
I haven't seen this one in person, but the tech specs look like a fairly versatile little P&S for a very good price. Have fun with it - hurry up and post pics! :)
 
I ordered it from Amazon, with 2nd day. I will post up some pictures and a sample video from it when I receive it.
 
Please do post your impressions. I'm looking into getting a point and shoot, and the 780is is my main choice (great price on Amazon $170) for under $200. I figure the specs are pretty much the same on these two except for the widescreen capability on the 940 and bigger LCD (lack of a viewfinder).
 
Well so far so good, i'm impressed with it. But than again i've never owned a true dslr before so I know not to expect super amazing photos from this camera.
So far though, for my needs I'm loving it.

All of these were on taken with the auto setting.




What is a good program to use to size these down ?
I use my macbook pro for daily tasks, and would rather do this within OSX. I have CS4 Photoshop installed, but I am a complete PS noob.
 
Photoshop would be the preferred program for that, and re-sizing images is about the easiest task you can do in it. I'd say it's time to start trying it out! :)

Does Bridge have a re-sizing macro? I haven't checked into this, but there's probably a way to bulk re-size your images in there too.
 
i don't use bridge, but with PS installed, making a custom script for resizing a batch of photos isn't that hard to do.
 
What is bridge exactly? I tried to install ps without but was unable to.

I'm gonna look for one of those cs4 books for dummies.
 
Well, I'm back from BB and found the brand new SD1400IS for $279.99 and picked it up. I was originally going for the SD780IS but this price was pretty competitive with Amazon and I didn't feel like waiting for shipping. Your shots above look great :)
 
What is bridge exactly? I tried to install ps without but was unable to.

I'm gonna look for one of those cs4 books for dummies.
bridge is a type of media organizer/browser with few extra bells and whistles. i use Lightroom instead, though.
 
Bridge allows you to browse all your CS4 files from all the Adobe apps, preview them, choose which program to open them with, and do a lot of very minor batch jobs like organizing, re-naming (and possibly re-sizing). It could be a very useful tool if you're working with a lot of different file types, since the windows browser won't let you preview files from like Illustrator or Flash, etc.

Since you're just doing photos exclusively for now, you should be able to do everything you need in PhotoShop fairly easily. Start going through the tutorial book, and you'll be able to do a lot of cool stuff pretty quickly.
 
I bought an ebook of Photoshop for Dummies, it came in PDF format so i'm gonna read through it over the course of this week.
 
Just sold this camera locally.
I found a Nikon D3000 kit for $350 local and snagged it up.
 
Back
Top