Just Bought an Acer G245H

WhDemon

Limp Gawd
First of all. Thanks to NCX for these amazing Reviews which are linked here.
*(I'm also a French Canadian, sorry if theres few mistakes around)

-> For Canadians, Monitor is on sale @ CanadaComputers for 209$ till 2010-07-31
----

So I finally did a small Jump and bought this monitor. First of all, glossy Screen is Amazing. It can be annoying but comparing it to my 22" 2253W, its totally worth it.

-Colors are Vibrant

-Good finish, Stand can Tilt and looks nice with Silver/Black colors.

-Bright, had to lower it down. -> You can Tan with this at 100% Brightness.

-5ms ? It's nearly as fast as my Samsung which is a Very fast 2ms monitor. This destroys the Hp w2207 5ms in terms of speed.

I will take pictures of this with my 22" Besides it and post it here.

What do you get if you get the "Olympic Edition"? Anything other than a logo on the back you will never see?

I am also interested in this monitor. Did you also consider the ASUS VW266H 25.5-Inch Widescreen LCD Monitor? Think I have narrowed it down to those two, though still surprised the Samsung model don't match or surpass either of them.

First of all. Thanks to NCX for these amazing Reviews which are linked here.
*(I'm also a French Canadian, sorry if theres few mistakes around)

-> For Canadians, Monitor is on sale @ CanadaComputers for 209$ till 2010-07-31
----

So I finally did a small Jump and bought this monitor. First of all, glossy Screen is Amazing. It can be annoying but comparing it to my 22" 2253W, its totally worth it.

-Colors are Vibrant

-Good finish, Stand can Tilt and looks nice with Silver/Black colors.

-Bright, had to lower it down. -> You can Tan with this at 100% Brightness.

-5ms ? It's nearly as fast as my Samsung which is a Very fast 2ms monitor. This destroys the Hp w2207 5ms in terms of speed.

I will take pictures of this with my 22" Besides it and post it here.

What do you get if you get the "Olympic Edition"? Anything other than a logo on the back you will never see?

Ahh seems I have the Olympic edition lol.
Yeah a logo that you can see on the stand. Still kinda cool .. or unique ?

This monitor is high on my list for replacemnt of my current dying monitor. I am going to be buying something in about a week and theres just not much to chose from as far as 120hz goes. I am also considering a 25.5 Asus 1920x1200 and its not an easy choice for me.

The price of 120hz monitors are really competitive which makes the choice even harder. I won't be getting the glasses just yet as I will wait to see what ATI will offer for 3d.

Don't need it for gaming; looking for general internet usage, MS Office work, and basic (very) editing of pictures (internet usage above all).

Doesn't the Acer G245H offer better contrast ratio over the ASUS VW266H 25.5-Inch Widescreen LCD Monitor?

Don't need it for gaming; looking for general internet usage, MS Office work, and basic (very) editing of pictures (internet usage above all).

Doesn't the Acer G245H offer better contrast ratio over the ASUS VW266H 25.5-Inch Widescreen LCD Monitor?

That it does.

Acer has come in for quite a bit of scorn because most of their displays use TN panels; however, they are among some of the best TN panels in their size range (let alone their price range).

I've had my H233H.bmid for a year now, while my Mom has the bigger-brother H243H.bmid. Both are used as general-purpose PC monitors (mine also gets a diet of gaming and multiple-PC use; whenever a desktop has come in for upgrades or software fixes, I simply connect it to an unused input, usually VGA; my own desktop is connected via DVI).

No one has reviewed the Asus and measured it's ANSI contrast and color presets so no one can really say which is better.

If you are just looking at the internet and doing office work go with the bigger work space the Asus offers. The Acer G245H is just the 60hz version of their 120hz panel (meant for movies/gaming).

Glad to see people are liking their Acer G245H's.

But isn't bigger not always better?

The ASUS VW266H has 20000:1 Smart Contrast Ratio while the Acer G245 is 80000 - 1 dynamic contrast ratio. Don't think there is much difference in the size between the two is there since one is 24"and the other 25.5"? If the Acer was more like a 22 or 23", then maybe size would come more into play.

No one has reviewed the Asus and measured it's ANSI contrast and color presets so no one can really say which is better.

If you are just looking at the internet and doing office work go with the bigger work space the Asus offers. The Acer G245H is just the 60hz version of their 120hz panel (meant for movies/gaming).

Glad to see people are liking their Acer G245H's.

But isn't bigger not always better?

The ASUS VW266H has 20000:1 Smart Contrast Ratio while the Acer G245 is 80000 - 1 dynamic contrast ratio. Don't think there is much difference in the size between the two is there since one is 24"and the other 25.5"? If the Acer was more like a 22 or 23", then maybe size would come more into play.

Those are Dynmaic Contrast numbers which are manufacturing lies. Bigger is never better when image quality has to be sacrificed (Think Dell U2410 (600:1 constrast) vs Dell U2311H (900:1))

Doesn't seem like it's going to matter for you though. When looking at walls of text it doesn't matter if the contrast ratio is good. For walls of text bigger is better.

You may just want peace of mind and know you're getting a quality product though with the Acer.

Was just reading PC Mag and saw the ASUS VW266H got their Editors Choice pick.

Also, was kind of confused by your suggestion because in the thread I posted you suggested the Acer G245H.

Those are Dynmaic Contrast numbers which are manufacturing lies. Bigger is never better when image quality has to be sacrificed (Think Dell U2410 (600:1 constrast) vs Dell U2311H (900:1))

Doesn't seem like it's going to matter for you though. When looking at walls of text it doesn't matter if the contrast ratio is good. For walls of text bigger is better.

You may just want peace of mind and know you're getting a quality product though with the Acer.

Was just reading PC Mag and saw the ASUS VW266H got their Editors Choice pick.

Also, was kind of confused by your suggestion because in the thread I posted you suggested the Acer G245H.

You didn't specify your usage at the start of the thread so I suggested the Acer.

For what you are doing the Asus is probably the better choice.

Funny cause that is the exact monitor that I am going to upgrade from (2253bw).And I'm almost set on getting either the Acer or the Dell u2311H.So some side by side pics with the acer and sammy would be awesome.

Oh and how are the black levels between the Samsung and Acer?I know the Acer should be better but by how much?Is it a noticable difference when watching a movie or playing a game?

Well I broke down and made the decision to go with the Acer G245H. Bought it from Amazon, $246.06 plus free 2 day shipping thanks to the Prime Trial. Will actually be here tomorrow (Saterday).
I could have gotten it a few dollars cheaper by going thru JR on amazon but I didn't want to wait any longer than I had to.

Only problem now is I am going to need to upgrade my video card to be able to handle the increased resolution, but now at least I have an excuss to do so :D.

Well I broke down and made the decision to go with the Acer G245H. Bought it from Amazon, $246.06 plus free 2 day shipping thanks to the Prime Trial. Will actually be here tomorrow (Saterday).
I could have gotten it a few dollars cheaper by going thru JR on amazon but I didn't want to wait any longer than I had to.

Only problem now is I am going to need to upgrade my video card to be able to handle the increased resolution, but now at least I have an excuss to do so :D.

GTX 460. Don't forget to OC your cpu so you don't bottleneck the video card.

Curious how come you didn't go with the ASUS VW266H?

GTX 460. Don't forget to OC your cpu so you don't bottleneck the video card.
Actually thinking about getting a 5850 and soon after a Phenom 955, but a GT460 is also in consideration.
Curious how come you didn't go with the ASUS VW266H?

Basically it came down to having to save every penny I can. My current monitor is dying, having allot of problems getting it turned on after cooling down over night. I have had my computer running for almost a month now without shutting it down except for one storm where electricity went out for short time, I got the monitor back on in less than 2 minutes so it didn't have time to cool down.

I saved about $25 going with the Acer. Also it is still a decent upgrade from a 22" 1680x1050.

OK, so if you had the extra funds, you would have gone with the ASUS VW266H?

Looks like Amazons price on the ASUS VW266H is $277; they previously had a $30 rebate which seems to come and go; anyone know how frequently they offer it?

Actually thinking about getting a 5850 and soon after a Phenom 955, but a GT460 is also in consideration.

Basically it came down to having to save every penny I can. My current monitor is dying, having allot of problems getting it turned on after cooling down over night. I have had my computer running for almost a month now without shutting it down except for one storm where electricity went out for short time, I got the monitor back on in less than 2 minutes so it didn't have time to cool down.

I saved about $25 going with the Acer. Also it is still a decent upgrade from a 22" 1680x1050.

Looks like the rebate is still valid: http://internal.directron.us/rebates/rebates/asuslcd083110.pdf

Which currently makes the ASUS VW266H and the Acer G245 the same price.

Now you tell me!

Got my monitor today. First thought,.....WTF, I look like crap!

This is my first Glossy screen and so far I hate it. Especially when reading the [H] with all the black borders. I will give more thoughts on this monitor later, going to go hang a blanket over the window to make it darker in here.

You got it through Amazon right? If so, no problem, just ship it back free of charge and order the other one. ;)

Now you tell me!

This is my first Glossy screen and so far I hate it. Especially when reading the [H] with all the black borders. I will give more thoughts on this monitor later, going to go hang a blanket over the window to make it darker in here.

Now you tell me!

I am now sitting here and its dark outside so the room is fairly dark. Not near the reflection I was seeing this morning with the sun directly on my windows.
Compared to my old Westy I am actually liking it more. I think I will have to get some blackout curtains or hang a blanket over the windows to keep as much light out as I can. The light from my lamps don't seem to cause the reflection that the sun does in the morning.

It seems that the blacks are blacker, whites are whiter, and colors are more vivid with this glossy screen.
The stand needs a little attention as it does wobble side to side when I bump the desk even lightly, the westy didn't do this. However I am going to get the Westy fixed (just a bad capacitor) and get a dual screen stand so its no biggie.

I am going to keep this monitor despite not really liking the glossy screen, I think the other positives outweigh the negatives.

I just received my G245h today (bought thanks to the excellent review by NCX and his comparsions).

This is also my first glossy monitor and when I hooked it up I was very pleased. The colors out of the box were superb, no tints, no shifts or anything unlike my Samsung that had a huge Red shift.

Everything was fine until I looked at someone really dark full-screen (movie). Then I noticed in the bottom right of the screen there's a very noticeable light bleed through, it runs about half and inch from the corner and out and up/down the edge of the screen. now that I know it is there I can't stop noticing it in ANY scene that's dark, be it a game or movie (most annoying in movies with slight black borders).

I'm thinking of getting an exchange for it from Amazon but this is the only monitor I have and I was already without a monitor for a week because my Samsung died, I really wish Amazon did like Dell and would ship an exchange to you then let you send back the original item.

Apart from that, this monitor is very nice, excellent colors and everything, no fiddling required to get them "right," at least to my eyes. Blacks are blackkkkkk, greys are grey, etc.

The Acer's presets are extremely bright, pretty much any TN panel will show backlight bleed with the backlight set to 250cd/m2

Try my settings

Acer G245H Settings Calibrated and set to 100cdm/2 brightness for a deep black of 0.11cdm/2 and a contrast ratio of 911:1

Picture:
Brightness: 15
Contrast: 88

Color: Warm: User:

Red: 97
Green: 85
Blue: 80

Setting:
Wide Mode: Aspect
DDC/CI: OFF
ACM: OFF

Tried it, still very noticeable in that one corner alone. The other corners aren't like that at all. I wouldn't mind if the bleed was more even, but it's one spot that really sticks out in anything that's black/fullscreen.

I can turn the brightness down further and it still bleeds through there in that one spot only, thanks for the help though.

Amazon got back to me later this evening and after asking them they agreed to ship me another one at no cost overnight and I have to simply ship this one back after I get the new one setup.

Those presets of yours will come in handy on the next one I get.

Hey guys can anyone care to check my thread about the Acer G245HA and Acer G245HQ difference :D

Are there any more reviews about this monitor? What about some calibration settings :)

Well after getting my second one from amazon and using it for a bit now it's easily the best TN panel I've had/looked at, at least as far as colors go.

Out of the box the colors were fine, blacks were deep black, reds/blue/green all vibrant. No washed out colors or anything "off," to me at least.

Overall very happy with this monitor, playing mafia 2 on it the colors really pop out and makes me not miss the Matte type lcd I had prior to this one.

Last edited:
I am close to pulling the trigger on the g245H. $230 shipped on amazon.

Is there any other monitor that would be a better gaming option at that price or lower? From what I've seen this looks like a great monitor, I like the glossy a lot. Might cause some headaches with smudges, but I've always liked the look of glossy monitors.

Well after getting my second one from amazon and using it for a bit now it's easily the best TN panel I've had/looked at, at least as far as colors go.

Out of the box the colors were fine, blacks were deep black, reds/blue/green all vibrant. No washed out colors or anything "off," to me at least.

Overall very happy with this monitor, playing mafia 2 on it the colors really pop out and makes me not miss the Matte type lcd I had prior to this one.

do you have the one with HDMI or without it?

Thanks!!!

Where are the other guys that said they will post some pics when they get it ARR :D :D

Look at the first post, there are links to the original review and the monitor comparison where you will find a bunch of pics.

I got mine! This thing is absolutely perfect. However I cannot get into the RGB settings, when I try to select it, it takes me to the profiles instead.

Back